My 323Ci Journal. - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-14-2018, 09:32 PM   #21
tej98

My Ride: E46
Year: 2000
Model: 323Ci
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordy_4 View Post
Wow! Such a good looking car for the miles! I hope mine holds out that good at that mileage. Do you think your guibo was original? I know mine is, but I've got 135,000kms

Thanks! I hope mine holds out for a few more years. The giubo was most likely original since it had the BMW stamping on it and the previous owner kept extremely detailed records on every service item he completed, and the giubo was not on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 07-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #22
tej98

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikduk View Post
Two more things on my list to do. How was the rear sub-frame re: the bushings or have you replaced them already? Just trying to think of what I could/should replace with 116K while I am "all up in there".

Great write up.

The rear subframe mounting points were in good shape with no cracking that I could see. The subframe bushings did not look cracked or worn so I left them for now.

Thanks! Since the car is my daily driver for now I decided to do just the rear diff bushing, but if it ever gets turned into a track/autocross car after I switch to a 330 or M3, then I will definitely be replacing the front diff bushings and possibly the subframe bushings. I was actually pretty impressed with the condition of my bushings in the rear since I'm almost at 250k now. I can't imagine you having many worn rear bushings at 116k but I suppose it would depend on how the car was driven and the climate.

I supposed if I were to replace the front diff bushings I may notice a difference in the shifting feel of the car, but I doubt it would be as big a difference as changing the rear bushing gave.

Good luck with your car! Let me know if you have any questions or want more pics, I can see if I have more.

Last edited by tej98; 07-21-2018 at 08:38 PM.
tej98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:52 PM   #23
tej98

Haven't done much to the car lately, just changed the oil before school starts again so it's one less thing to do. Used Shell Rotella T6 5w40 with 7 quarts and added a can of Liqui-Moly MoS2 additive to help the high mileage internals.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 08-08-2018, 09:38 PM   #24
tej98

My 323Ci Journal.

I rebuilt the shifter today and replaced the transmission mounts with parts from FCP Euro.

All the new parts:

It was the same procedure again, remove the exhaust, center support bearing, and the driveshaft. Although this time I found cracks in my center support that I did not see before, so that is next on the list of things to do.

Next I removed the transmission support:

Then I was able to get all the shifter parts out without much hassle:

Everything cleaned up and new parts installed on the shift lever:

You can really see the difference between the old shift rod joint and the new one. The old one had almost no foam left, so this was likely where the majority of the slop in the shifter came from:

Here the old transmission mounts are on the left and the new on the right. Looking back, I do not think they needed to be changed but its nice peace of mind:

While I was under the car I saw that both engine mounts were cracked and likely in need of replacement. So I guess that follows with the center support for the next FCP order. In the picture with the steering coupler, you can see the driver side engine mount is wet with the hydraulic oil they are filled with. They are likely original.

Passenger side motor mount:

Driver side motor mount:

The shifter now has its resistance back and feels precise and confident. I am very happy with the result and would definitely recommend it as a repair for higher mileage cars.

Last edited by tej98; 08-08-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:28 PM   #25
tej98

Last week I tinted the side windows. It was my first attempt at tinting so the first two windows I did (the two rear quarter windows) have a few imperfections but I am very happy with them. The two front windows came out great for my first time tinting. Overall, I am very happy with the results and love the look/heat rejection it offers. I went with FlexFilm 35%. Hopefully the rear window gets done this weekend.

In the sun:

Late evening:

Also, the car crossed 250k over the weekend!

Last edited by tej98; 08-15-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #26
tej98

Added a carbon fiber strut bar that was a pretty good deal from Craigslist.

Before:

Painted the old aluminium supports:

Installed:

Last edited by tej98; 08-11-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:35 PM   #27
tej98

Finished tinting the rear window today, took a while and definitely a difficult task. We got about 3 small wrinkles in the film when shrinking it but decided it was good enough for us. Overall, I am very pleased with the way that the whole job turned out and it has completely transformed the way the car looks.

You can see the wrinkles near the bottom of the window.

Last edited by tej98; 08-15-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #28
Eric Giles

My Ride: '04 ZHP, '01 325i
Send a message via AIM to Eric Giles Send a message via MSN to Eric Giles
Just wanted to say what a great looking E46 you have, and you're doing an excellent job in keeping it in such great condition. Subscribing to keep up with future updates.
'87 325iS

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...
Eric Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:28 PM   #29
tej98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Giles View Post
Just wanted to say what a great looking E46 you have, and you're doing an excellent job in keeping it in such great condition. Subscribing to keep up with future updates.

Thanks! I'm trying to keep it up as a reliable daily driver through college. Since school started I haven't had much time to do any major maintenance to the car so I'm glad I was able to get most of it done over the Summer.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:52 PM   #30
tej98

I haven't done much to the car lately, just been driving and enjoying it! Over the past couple of months the front end clunk/creak has progressively gotten worse. I believe it is coming from the front strut mounts since those are about 80,000 miles old and I really only get the noise when going over bumps. I plan to change those out near winter break to see if that fixes the issue.

Here's a picture I got when I took the car on campus a few weeks ago:

Last edited by tej98; 11-09-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:58 PM   #31
tej98

Over the past weekend we took a quick trip up to Deals Gap aka "Tail of the Dragon". The roads were a bit damp, but it was still a very fun ride. The mighty 323 had no trouble holding close to 5k rpm for a large majority of the 11 mile road. It also performed flawlessly for the trip there and back home.

As a side note, the DSC on these cars is fantastic! I never really thought much about it, but it does a great job at keeping the car going where I point it, rather than having the back end stepping out (which would have been inevitable with the cheap tires on the car). All in all, the handling characteristics of a stock E46 with sport package are amazing when paired with the DSC.

Here are some pics from the trip:

My brother's 1995 M3

Last edited by tej98; 02-22-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:18 PM   #32
tej98

Another update: I recently changed the front strut mounts with Lemforder units from FCPEuro and changed the oil with a Liqui-Moly 5w40 kit also from FCP. In other news, I recently found an R53 Mini with the specs I had been looking for (casually looking for the past year). The price was right so I couldn't pass it up. So, the E46 is up for sale now. If anyone is interested here is the Craigslist link:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/c...903367209.html

As you can tell if you've read this thread, this car is really ready to go for a very long time. It is my daily driver (50 miles a day) and is great on gas. I hope for it to go to an enthusiast that will look after it like I have.