OE Strut shorter piston than Bilsten B4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
FirstBMR

My Ride: 2005 330i
I'm in the process of replacing the original struts on a 2000 328i with standard suspension. I purchased the Bilstein B4's. The rears went in fine and look the same as original. The piston on the front struts of the B4's are about an inch and a half longer than the oem. I tried pulling the OE piston out further, but its maxed out. I double checked part numbers for correct part. Is this normal?

22-103093 Front Left
22-103109 Front Right
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2750[2].jpg
Views:	24
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	778107  

Last edited by FirstBMR; 06-23-2019 at 10:31 AM.
FirstBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:39 AM   #2
redbabysix

My Ride: 2003 330i
OE Strut shorter piston than Bilstein B4

FirstBMR:
I replaced my stock shocks and struts with B4 items a year ago. The front struts were too long and wouldnt fit so I surmised I had the sport suspension (I have the sport steering wheel and seats, although my serial number does not indicate sport suspension). Regardless, I got the sport suspension B4 struts and they were the same length as the OEM's I removed and fit just fine. (I used the regular B4 shocks for rear and they fit good with no change in ride height; they might have been the same part number as "sport suspension", I don't recall. I used Meyle HD strut bearings and rear shock mounts.
Dale
'03 330i 6MT
redbabysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
FirstBMR

My Ride: 2005 330i
Thanks for the reply. My car didn't have sport suspension, so not sure why we both got struts that we're shorter than factory. I didn't want to pay the premium for the sport shocks, so I went ahead and installed them. They fit fine and didn't effect ride height. I assumed the piston would just compress more than the shorter ones.
FirstBMR is offline   Reply With Quote