Z3 - Intake Manifold Swap - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2019, 07:40 AM   #1
zielritter

Z3 - Intake Manifold Swap

Hello everyone, from Z3 land. I've been researching up on your forums extensively about those with the 323i M52TUB25 who have swapped over to the intake manifold from the 330i M54B30 (the infamous Iceman and Flashmeow threads ). I'm pulling the trigger on this mod for my '99 Z3 2.3 with the same M52TUB25 motor.

I wanted to query your collective minds to see if you have any advice on any pitfalls I might encounter doing this swap. I've managed to find a manifold on eBay with the DISA intact for about $170 shipped, which isn't too bad. I've also purchase new manifold gaskets and the TB adapter plate that will allow me to retrofit my M52TU throttle body onto the M54.

I've watched a lot of Youtube videos and it seems pretty straight forward, but since this would stretch (to say the least) my mechanical abilities I will be employing the services of my local shop that specializes on BMWs. He has a lot of experience doing M52 (single VANOS) to M50 manifold conversions but this is his first attempt at doing what I'm doing. He's been working on Z's since '97 so I don't doubt his creds, but would still be nice to hear from those who've done the conversion.

Thanks much in advance.
zielritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:56 PM   #2
Blu302

My Ride: '98 E46 323i
Year: 98
Model: E46
Transmission: Manual
I lost power doing the same thing. If I had the chance, I would go back to the B25 manifold to regain the lost low and midrange power(under 4500rpm). I gained/lost nothing above 4500rpm.

The best thing I ever did was fit Schrick 248/248 cams and retuned the vanos settings. More top end than a stock B30 and enough low/mid to keep up to a B30 in the curvy bits.

Power is knowledge, So share the knowledge!!
Blu302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:55 AM   #3
zielritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu302 View Post
I lost power doing the same thing. If I had the chance, I would go back to the B25 manifold to regain the lost low and midrange power(under 4500rpm). I gained/lost nothing above 4500rpm.

The best thing I ever did was fit Schrick 248/248 cams and retuned the vanos settings. More top end than a stock B30 and enough low/mid to keep up to a B30 in the curvy bits.
Hmmm, so would you suggest doing the M54B25 instead of the M54B30 manifold for the M52TUB25 if you were going to do this upgrade? I can get the M54B25 manifold with DISA for a good price too. I intend on tuning as well. Just have the Shark Injector currently. Thanks for your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
zielritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu302 View Post

Did you do the cams yourself or pay someone? If you paid someone, how much did it run you?
Old 07-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #5
Blu302

My Ride: '98 E46 323i
Year: 98
Model: E46
Transmission: Manual
I did all the work myself. It was going to cost $1750 for fitment but the tools cost around $300 from GAS. I have an M52TUB25 as well and needed to fit the B30 manifold for the DBW throttle to go with my aftermarket DME. The cable style would not work with the new DME and I still wanted traction control etc to work.

Power is knowledge, So share the knowledge!!
Blu302 is offline   Reply With Quote