The Comprehensive E46 Brake Upgrade Guide - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-14-2019, 09:28 PM   #41
swordsman11868
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,790
My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
So Iím gong to need brakes sometime this year

Iíd like to put on drilled rotors for the look. I donít track or do canyons.

Whatís the consensus on drilled? Did they solve the cracking issues?

If I install Eline (Chinese) from Amazon will they last 50k miles? Or will I have to redo it in 20k?

I put brakes on so seldom I donít even know what the industry standards are.

Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
__________________
I'm just here to change the world.
BMW Wiki: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #42
YoitsTmac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,540
My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
For these cars, drilled isnít much of an upgrade if at all. Theyíre more expensive, more prone to cracking, and blanks do great. I would just get better blanks.
__________________
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #43
swordsman11868
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,790
My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
For these cars, drilled isnít much of an upgrade if at all. Theyíre more expensive, more prone to cracking, and blanks do great. I would just get better blanks.


While I agree I was just going for looks.
__________________
I'm just here to change the world.
BMW Wiki: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:29 PM   #44
YoitsTmac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,540
My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post
While I agree I was just going for looks.


Your car, if you want it, go for it! My first brake DIY was drilled rotors, be prepared that because of the holes, thereís a, whatís the word. It was so long ago, but there was an unforeseen noise that came under medium to hard braking. I think it was because of how air is under pressure or vacuum in the holes as the pads clasp the rotor. YMMV of course.
__________________
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #45
swordsman11868
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,790
My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
Your car, if you want it, go for it! My first brake DIY was drilled rotors, be prepared that because of the holes, thereís a, whatís the word. It was so long ago, but there was an unforeseen noise that came under medium to hard braking. I think it was because of how air is under pressure or vacuum in the holes as the pads clasp the rotor. YMMV of course.


Is the cheap (Eline) ok in your opinion or should I go with the more expensive Brembo/Stoptech/etc rotors?
__________________
I'm just here to change the world.
BMW Wiki: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #46
YoitsTmac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,540
My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post
Is the cheap (Eline) ok in your opinion or should I go with the more expensive Brembo/Stoptech/etc rotors?


I think eline is what I had. Although there wasnít anything inherently wrong with the product, the way it performed is not something Iíd ever want to do again. The noise, honestly the way the steel looked. It looked like a cheap product, and there something always just. Weird, about the feel of the brakes. Nothing insane just, off.

Itís like when you eat the same fast food at a different location than usual - itís fine to eat, but itís not the same as what youíre used to, but you itís close enough and you accept it as the same. But given the choice between that new location and the old, youíd probably prefer the original choice. Hope that analogy makes sense.
__________________
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:35 PM   #47
swordsman11868
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,790
My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
The Comprehensive E46 Brake Upgrade Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
I think eline is what I had. Although there wasnít anything inherently wrong with the product, the way it performed is not something Iíd ever want to do again. The noise, honestly the way the steel looked. It looked like a cheap product, and there something always just. Weird, about the feel of the brakes. Nothing insane just, off.

Itís like when you eat the same fast food at a different location than usual - itís fine to eat, but itís not the same as what youíre used to, but you itís close enough and you accept it as the same. But given the choice between that new location and the old, youíd probably prefer the original choice. Hope that analogy makes sense.


Thanks for the info.

After having done some reading it looks like Zimmerman are made in Germany and FCP has a drilled set for sale.

Now I just need to decide which pad to use. :-/

Thereís a lot of choices!

Suggestions?
__________________
I'm just here to change the world.
BMW Wiki: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.

Last edited by swordsman11868; 06-23-2019 at 08:39 PM.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #48
YoitsTmac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,540
My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
PFC-Z pads. Great possible modulation when cold, one or two good stops makes it bite right at the top and hard. Lots of brake dust if that's important to you though.
__________________
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:51 AM   #49
Aussigazza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bungendore NSW Aus
Posts: 758
My Ride: E46 330i and M3
Year: 1999
Model: Now 330i
Transmission: 6 Speed M3
I have spare new rear M3 rotors and M3 calipers.
Your write up talks about machining the front carriers to put M3 on 330i.
Already have csl upgrade on front.
What is required to put the rear M3parts on my 330i?
__________________
Garry

Aussigazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:59 AM   #50
Zaknin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Azerbaijan
Posts: 40
My Ride: 2002 330xi
Year: 2002
Model: 330xi
Transmission: A5S390R
Anyone noticed that rear calipers are different between 330i and 330xi\xd ? Xi\xd calipers are 34216768423\34216768424 , and RWD calipers are 34216765883\34216765884

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...883&series=E46 RWD 42\22
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...423&series=E46 AWD 40\22

Interesting enough - both 40\22 and 42\22 calipers are listed as proper rear calipers for Euro 325i

So is it any real life difference between 330i and 330xi? I'm planning to rebuild my calipers\buy rebuilt ones, and I'm curious about if installing RWD calipers will get any measurable pros\cons
__________________
2002 330xi Klankenberg

Drive 2 profile https://www.drive2.com/r/bmw/3_serie...4123763721420/
Zaknin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.