Please help before I torch my car Erratic ignition timing, no codes! - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
DbeauE46

My Ride: 17 Sierra & 05 325i
Year: 2005
Model: 325i
Transmission: zf 320
Please help before I torch my car Erratic ignition timing, no codes!

New maf, new pre cat 02, new DISA, 0 air leaks, rebuilt vanos unit, have pressure tested and smoke tested. I'm at a total loss, idle is so bad I can't even drive the car and it stutters at low rpm. Have done all this work in the last 3 months, every single gasket that has to do with the intake manifold is new, ccv deleted. No codes on or stored. Igntiming jumps from -3 to like 18-20 degrees and all in between. Somebody please give me something to go on
DbeauE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:14 AM   #2
SiBriers

My Ride: 325ci 02 Sport
Year: 02
Model: 325ci Sport
Transmission: 5MT
A few things:

What brand of MAF did you use?

Have you reset adaptations using INPA or similar?

What do your fuel trims look like?

Is your Intake Temp reading sensibly?

Ultimately, OBDFusion freeze-frame data might be useful to some of the experts round here..

I will say that I recently changed out an injector when it started throwing codes, which HUGELY improved the idle and low-speed pickup / dashpot response. It must have been faulty for years before it actually threw a code, and certainly for the 3 years I've had the car..
SiBriers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
DbeauE46

My Ride: 17 Sierra & 05 325i
Year: 2005
Model: 325i
Transmission: zf 320
Thanks for taking the time to reply, The maf is OEM, I have not looked at the fuel trims yet as I'm sure it's awful, I had the battery disconnected for like 2-3 days when I did the vast majority of these repairs, things like the DISA and maf I've only replaced because I was suspicious of them at 15 years old so replaced them for peace of mind mostly. I did just hold the car revving at about 2500 rpm for 5 mins or so and have no MIL but a soft code of 2961 relating to precat 02 bank 2, couldn't find much on that after a quick search but going to look more deeply into that code but at a glance pre cat 02 voltage seems to travel from .01v to 1.8 v or so. Attached is a reading of rough idle values and bank two voltage is significantly higher which obv jumped out at me but I'm not sure if high value or low value is indicative of a problem but clearly something is not jiving between both banks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB78C199-8555-4B86-BEB1-124E586FDBC3_1565193011947.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	781343  
DbeauE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
SiBriers

My Ride: 325ci 02 Sport
Year: 02
Model: 325ci Sport
Transmission: 5MT
Yeah. Bank 2 looks pretty unhappy from those average rough running numbers..
Not sure, but 153 mg/stroke looks high for warm idle to me.
Any chance the O2 sensor cables could have got mixed up?
SiBriers is offline   Reply With Quote