Retirement Investing Basics - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #21
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
^is there any sort of foreign index fund that i could consider in order to be more diversified? i just put about $6k on the s&p and another $6 on the nasdaq, but i held out on the dow based on this thread and my brother's advice (he's a nerd about this type of stuff)
VGTSX (Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Investor Shares) is one low fee option.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...FundIntExt=INT
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #22
Wraisil

Here is a letter that is well worth the read imo, even if I don't agree with every sentence completely.

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2014/...ter/?iid=HP_LN
Old 03-18-2014, 02:33 AM   #23
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: S2000
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Wraisil > I would like to build an Aggressive Growth Portfolio, but I am not how to translate what you have written here to what investments I declare through Fidelity. They just have a list of stocks/bonds and the percentage of how much I want to contribute to each one. How do I know what mega/large/mid/small caps based off of this?
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #24
Wraisil

What type of account do you have with Fidelity? Brokerage, 401k, etc?

Does it not have access to mutual funds or ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds)?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #25
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
From the description that sounds like a 401k if the Fidelity website (or Netbenefits) is giving him a list of available securities to choose from.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #26
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Sounds like a 401k. Mine is similar through Prudential.
If you want to make a statement that we all ought to get on board to fight poverty, I'm with you. If you want to say that we ought to fight income inequality I'm not with you at all. Because I don't think that the rich guy stole from the poor guy. In fact rich people don't get rich by stealing from poor people because it turns out poor people don't have money.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #27
Wraisil

I asked because he specifically mentioned he has choices of stocks and bonds. I expect that what he actually has is a list of mutual funds. Assuming it is the latter, the easy answer would be to go to www.morningstar.com and see what each is invested in (as well as checking the fees, turnover rates, etc about each fund while there).
Old 03-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #28
nikkeiS2K

Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
From the description that sounds like a 401k if the Fidelity website (or Netbenefits) is giving him a list of available securities to choose from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Sounds like a 401k. Mine is similar through Prudential.
Yes, it is Fidelity Netbenefits for my 401K account. There are 4 tiers listed 1) Life Cycle Funds 2) Core Funds 3) Expanded Choice Funds and 4) Mutual Fund Window. Everything is categorized by Asset Class (blended fund investments, stock investments and bond investments). I do see large/mid/small cap stocks now that I am looking at it closer. I am still confused as to which ones I should select though if I want to create an aggressive portfolio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
I asked because he specifically mentioned he has choices of stocks and bonds. I expect that what he actually has is a list of mutual funds. Assuming it is the latter, the easy answer would be to go to www.morningstar.com and see what each is invested in (as well as checking the fees, turnover rates, etc about each fund while there).
Thanks I will do my research into these.

Last edited by nikkeiS2K; 03-18-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #29
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
Yes, it is Fidelity Netbenefits for my 401K account. There are 4 tiers listed 1) Life Cycle Funds 2) Core Funds 3) Expanded Choice Funds and 4) Mutual Fund Window. Everything is categorized by Asset Class (blended fund investments, stock investments and bond investments). I do see large/mid/small cap stocks now that I am looking at it closer. I am still confused as to which ones I should select though if I want to create an aggressive portfolio.

Thanks I will do my research into these.
See below.

Quote:
Aggressive Growth Portfolio:
An Aggressive Growth Portfolio is one that is designed to generate wealth in an investment portfolio. This type of portfolio has higher risk than a Growth Portfolio as it is solely focused on building wealth. It is best suited for someone who is still quite a way from retirement and is not risk averse. A general portfolio of this type would have a diversification somewhere around the following:
35% Mega Cap
30% Large Cap
25% Mid Cap
15% Small Cap

75% US Stocks
20% Foreign Stocks
5% Bonds
0% Cash/Cash Equivalents
If you want to make a statement that we all ought to get on board to fight poverty, I'm with you. If you want to say that we ought to fight income inequality I'm not with you at all. Because I don't think that the rich guy stole from the poor guy. In fact rich people don't get rich by stealing from poor people because it turns out poor people don't have money.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #30
nikkeiS2K

Quote:
See below.
I still don't know how to translate them to what I have in my Fidelity account.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #31
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
I still don't know how to translate them to what I have in my Fidelity account.
The mutual funds though not always categorized in order should be listed as large/medium/small etc. If not, you can look up the name of the mutual fund on sites like Wraisil mentioned to see what type of fund it is and how it's performing.

morningstar.com is a good place to go research and review funds and stocks.

Edit: Any chance you can take a screenshot of what you're looking at and just use MS paint or something to cover up proprietary information?

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 03-19-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #32
nikkeiS2K

Quote:
The mutual funds though not always categorized in order should be listed as large/medium/small etc. If not, you can look up the name of the mutual fund on sites like Wraisil mentioned to see what type of fund it is and how it's performing.

morningstar.com is a good place to go research and review funds and stocks.

Edit: Any chance you can take a screenshot of what you're looking at and just use MS paint or something to cover up proprietary information?
Ya I will just do that. I will take some screenshots and post them.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #33
nikkeiS2K

There are more under Mutual Fund Window but you get the point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 19.30.10.png
Views:	162
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	550728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 19.30.20.png
Views:	148
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	550729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 19.30.30.png
Views:	146
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	550730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 19.30.41.png
Views:	136
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	550731  

Last edited by nikkeiS2K; 03-19-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #34
nikkeiS2K

bump
Old 03-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #35
bimmerfan08

Can't see them at work right now, but I'll check out the pics when I get home.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #36
Wraisil

Some mention specifically what they are investing in (i.e. the long-term corp bond fund is going to invest in long term corporate bonds). The grouped letters in the parentheses, i.e. (RFNGX) is the "ticker" for the ones they are showing tickers for. You can search that on morningstar and get the specifics about that fund. For those without a ticker, you can search the name and may get it, but you probably will have to click the fund itself to find the prospectus which should provide all the information about what it is investing in and what the goals are etc.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:05 AM   #37
nikkeiS2K

Looks like I got pretty close!
To be honest I was randomly picking what had the most gains by looking at the daily quotes and this obviously is not a good way to pick my investments.
So from looking at my picks what do you suggest I keep or get rid of in exchange for something else?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-01 02_03_54-Fidelity NetBenefits.png
Views:	144
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	552188   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-01 02_04_09-Fidelity NetBenefits.png
Views:	134
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	552189  

Last edited by nikkeiS2K; 04-01-2014 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #38
Wraisil

That's really a question you should ask an investment adviser (or similar professional) licensed in your state. "Generic advice" doesn't provide specific guidance or direction for investments, thus avoiding the need to meet legal requirements or incur liability etc. So I'm happy to share knowledge and so are others who have contributed, but for specific personalized advice your best bet is to sit down with a professional if you aren't confident in your ability to manager your investments properly.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #39
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Your list doesn't show expense ratios. It's extremely important to have that info. If you've gotten a quarterly report from your 401k then it should have listed the expense ratios. Otherwise, your stock administration guide should also have a listing of those.

In the worst case look up the symbols on morningstar.com and the expense will be listed. I would look for index funds with low expense ratio. Most of the non-index will probably be 1-2% in expense.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #40
Wraisil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
Your list doesn't show expense ratios. It's extremely important to have that info. If you've gotten a quarterly report from your 401k then it should have listed the expense ratios. Otherwise, your stock administration guide should also have a listing of those.

In the worst case look up the symbols on morningstar.com and the expense will be listed. I would look for index funds with low expense ratio. Most of the non-index will probably be 1-2% in expense.
I was talking about the expense ratios when I said fund fees. In retrospect, I should have been more specific. Since originally posting this, I've also made some upgrades to my excel spreadsheet. Here is the current version with sample funds and fund information (from morningstar) populated:
http://www.gceenterprises.com/jlcnuk...on%20Tool.xlsx