Basement Projects - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #21
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Looks awesome. Consider finishing the countertop with a clear epoxy when finished to prevent scratches and such.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #22
Tb151

My Ride: 2008 Range Rover FF
Send a message via AIM to Tb151
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Looks awesome. Consider finishing the countertop with a clear epoxy when finished to prevent scratches and such.
Thanks! I'm still determining my finish. I'm going to match the color of the panel wall with transtint dye and then from there im not sure. Thinking possibly waterlox. I also ordered some pre stain conditioner as Cherry can blotch up. I've actually completed the glue up already, sanding with 80, 100 and 150. I used a hand planer for alot of the overall smoothing and a Festool Track Saw for sizing. I have a ton of pics that I will update. I'm also considering doing an ogee edge on this but have to do more research on that (never used a router)

Tb151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #23
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Awesome work. You are really making it hard for me to continue putting off my bar project...

What did you use for the wood background for the TV? I think I'm going to copy that.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #24
Tb151

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Awesome work. You are really making it hard for me to continue putting off my bar project...

What did you use for the wood background for the TV? I think I'm going to copy that.
Hah, I know, its addictive stuff! It's 1/4" plywood ripped to around 5 or 6" strips, cant remember. I think it was red oak hardwood plywood but any will work. Do it!

Old 02-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #25
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:

I was planning on doing an entire wall in my basement like that, a buddy of mine told me to go to hardwood lumberyards and get leftover wood flooring for cheaps. I think 4-6" planks would look nice on my wall, deciding if I want straight of try herringbone.....
Old 02-24-2015, 06:45 AM   #26
Tb151

Quote:
I was planning on doing an entire wall in my basement like that, a buddy of mine told me to go to hardwood lumberyards and get leftover wood flooring for cheaps. I think 4-6" planks would look nice on my wall, deciding if I want straight of try herringbone.....
The herringbone would look sick!!! Def do it! I've also seen amazing walls which are made up of large square panels which are slightly raised with rope lighting behind them. Now that I have the my new toy I'm going to start getting even more crazy with this stuff.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #27
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb151 View Post
Hah, I know, its addictive stuff! It's 1/4" plywood ripped to around 5 or 6" strips, cant remember. I think it was red oak hardwood plywood but any will work. Do it!
fvck it, you sold it well. I'll plan on doing it this spring/summer when it's above freezing. That and after I find a replacement for my departed Expedition to haul stuff home.

What's the thing in the pics you posted?

Also, that's not sheetrock underneath the tiles in the image you posted. That's cement board and you need it any time you put tile onto a wood substrate. Prevents warping and any other dimensional changes.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 02-24-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #28
NFRs2000nyc

What is that thing?!
Old 02-25-2015, 06:57 AM   #29
Tb151

Quote:
fvck it, you sold it well. I'll plan on doing it this spring/summer when it's above freezing. That and after I find a replacement for my departed Expedition to haul stuff home.

What's the thing in the pics you posted?

Also, that's not sheetrock underneath the tiles in the image you posted. That's cement board and you need it any time you put tile onto a wood substrate. Prevents warping and any other dimensional changes.
Quote:
What is that thing?!

Sorry, should have shared, it's a Festool Track Saw. Basically, Festool is the BMW of the woodworking world. It's a German company that "over engineers " everything, is more expensive than virtually every other brand but is considered well worth it by anyone who's used them. I also got their vacuum which attaches to the saw and automatically turns on when the saw turns on. Its Hepa rated and really powerful which means I can use that saw, my random orbital sander and miter saw inside my house with virtually zero sawdust. The track saw is awesome because you can cut down full sheets of plywood, and large hardwood boards leaving a finish ready edge. I wish I had it when I did the panel wall because I had my local lumber yard cut it down and they ruined a large percentage of them.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #30
SamDoe1

Quote:
Sorry, should have shared, it's a Festool Track Saw. Basically, Festool is the BMW of the woodworking world. It's a German company that "over engineers " everything, is more expensive than virtually every other brand but is considered well worth it by anyone who's used them. I also got their vacuum which attaches to the saw and automatically turns on when the saw turns on. Its Hepa rated and really powerful which means I can use that saw, my random orbital sander and miter saw inside my house with virtually zero sawdust. The track saw is awesome because you can cut down full sheets of plywood, and large hardwood boards leaving a finish ready edge. I wish I had it when I did the panel wall because I had my local lumber yard cut it down and they ruined a large percentage of them.
Oh cool, so it's super expensive and breaks all the time? i kid, i kid...kind of.

That's awesome though. The way I've fixed that issue is by getting a rip cut jig that allows me to basically do what you do with a track saw for much cheaper. Put a good blade on the circular saw (trim cut) and you get perfect edges every time.

For the dust extractor, I use a hepa filter on my shop vac and plug it in that way. Works awesome.

I don't make enough money to buy Festool stuff and drive a Range Rover.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:13 PM   #31
Chris3Duke

Quote:
Oh cool, so it's super expensive and breaks all the time? i kid, i kid...kind of.

That's awesome though. The way I've fixed that issue is by getting a rip cut jig that allows me to basically do what you do with a track saw for much cheaper. Put a good blade on the circular saw (trim cut) and you get perfect edges every time.

For the dust extractor, I use a hepa filter on my shop vac and plug it in that way. Works awesome.

I don't make enough money to buy Festool stuff and drive a Range Rover.
Just to be clear, the Festool is just a better version of both of those (the track is a rip jig, and the dust extractor is a shop vac).

What the track saw will let you do is quickly and repeatedly make accurate rip cuts similar to what you'd get with a table saw or cabinet saw. The system is much lighter and more compact than a table saw or cabinet saw, though.

I believe DeWalt and maybe another brand have come out with similar track saws. One of Festool's biggest selling points is how good their dust collection system is, though.

A track saw is probably in my future. I have a nice Bosch jobsite table saw, but its rip capacity is limited, the table is fairly small, and the fence is not the most accurate. I'd probably use a track saw for sheet goods, and only use the table saw for ripping thin stock.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #32
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3Duke View Post
Just to be clear, the Festool is just a better version of both of those (the track is a rip jig, and the dust extractor is a shop vac).

What the track saw will let you do is quickly and repeatedly make accurate rip cuts similar to what you'd get with a table saw or cabinet saw. The system is much lighter and more compact than a table saw or cabinet saw, though.

I believe DeWalt and maybe another brand have come out with similar track saws. One of Festool's biggest selling points is how good their dust collection system is, though.

A track saw is probably in my future. I have a nice Bosch jobsite table saw, but its rip capacity is limited, the table is fairly small, and the fence is not the most accurate. I'd probably use a track saw for sheet goods, and only use the table saw for ripping thin stock.
Yep, I know. What I have works for my purposes though.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:54 PM   #33
Chris3Duke

Quote:
Yep, I know. What I have works for my purposes though.
Darn straight. Festool is just outrageously expensive.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #34
Tb151

Hey Hey. Yes, you're all correct that it is really expensive. For me, the dust collection and extra precision is worth it

So, I removed one of the pendant lights and replaced it with a mini spot light. The big metal "B" that I had made was also shipped so it will soon be mounted where the light is shining.

I also mounted the handles and pulls along with the crown molding on the cabinets. I had to get creative and first mount a board to the top to give me something to attach the crown to. Then I had to guess a paint color at the store hoping it would match. Andddd it did, yess.....small victories.

I also decided to do a built up edge for the counter. I didnt have enough Cherry left so I went to another local source and grabbed a big slab. The idea was to cut it with the Festool into 2.5" boards which would be mounted on the front and sides. Here is the front on

And the front and both sides on being test fit.

Time for finishing it? Not quite. I decided to add splines to corners on each side. One is just about dry so I'll trim it flush later and take a pic. Then I just have to finish the other. Here is a pic of this type of thing, and I'm sure mine wont be nearly as nice.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:55 AM   #35
NFRs2000nyc

That's some beautiful work. Wish I had half the skill to do this stuff.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #36
Tb151

Quote:
That's some beautiful work. Wish I had half the skill to do this stuff.
Thanks and you don't know until you try! I've never really built anything like this before, never used a hand plane, never used a tracksaw, or glued up a top out of boards etc. You just have to learn and so screw it, I'm going to try.

The splines are another example, I read about them, thought it was cool and tried my first one yesterday. I just ran downstairs and sawed off the excess material after the glue set and voila!

It's not sanded or anything yet, it's just flush cut with a mini dozuki (also first time using)

Old 03-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #37
SamDoe1

Your countertop is solid hardwood? What did you use for reinforcement underneath? If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for material costs for the cherry?

Spline joints are beautiful. Any reason you didn't use contrasting woods for the joints? I really like this idea and might steal it for my basement bar too.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 03-05-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #38
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Thanks and you don't know until you try! I've never really built anything like this before, never used a hand plane, never used a tracksaw, or glued up a top out of boards etc. You just have to learn and so screw it, I'm going to try.

The splines are another example, I read about them, thought it was cool and tried my first one yesterday. I just ran downstairs and sawed off the excess material after the glue set and voila!
Dont get me wrong, Im quite handy and crafty, but you take it up to 11.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-05-2015 at 11:32 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #39
Tb151

Quote:
Your countertop is solid hardwood? What did you use for reinforcement underneath? If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for material costs for the cherry?

Spline joints are beautiful. Any reason you didn't use contrasting woods for the joints? I really like this idea and might steal it for my basement bar too.
Yes and no. The boards are solid cherry, 6/4 boards (1.5" thick) and over 10ft long. I made an even deeper built up edge cutting down a 1" cherry slab to 2.5" boards which are attached on the front and side. So it looks like its bigger than it is, but it's still massive and thick.

The boards were somewhere around $300. Great question on the spline. Actually those are white maple, which is known for not accepting dye or stain well at all. The cherry on the other hand will and also will darken very quickly naturally. So the hope is that the splines will indeed be contrasting when all is said and done. We shall see!

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, Im quite handy and crafty, but you take it up to 11.
Haha, thanks, but it's only because I'm giving it the ol college try and no more. It started when my wife and I decided to redo a half bath in our house with zero experience. Enough forum reading and youtube viewing will enable one to do just about anything. A buddy of mine from college (business school) has a Show on HGTV where they do this kind of stuff and I was like wtf, if he can do it I can.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #40
NFRs2000nyc

My first real DIY project is going to be redoing our master bath. Hopefully I won't fvck it up.