SMOLOV Squat Routine - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #81
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

My Ride: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi09 View Post
5 days a week and twice a day for cardio....screw that lol

Hey, when you want to cut and you want your body to look a certain way, you have to do what you have to do. Everything suffers when you cut. That stairclimber is brutal when utilized that frequently.......

.....but damn, the results are insane.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:18 PM   #82
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

For the lunges....

....they are to be performed using body weight only, right!??!
Old 02-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #83
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Went to the gym today and hip flexor was really tight. In gonna shut it down for a couple of days and get back on the horse next week. Will report back
Old 02-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #84
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
Went to the gym today and hip flexor was really tight. In gonna shut it down for a couple of days and get back on the horse next week. Will report back
Keep us posted. I'm in the second week of the program (..2x2, 3x, and 5x); tomorrow is my 3x day.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:22 PM   #85
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Here's some motivation for you guys. 525 for 23 reps.

Alpine WhiteCoral RedAluminum f30 328i Sportline/6MT
Imola RedBlackBlack Aluminum e46 330i ZHP/6MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #86
BreakMyWallet

Good lord
Old 02-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #87
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

3x @ 285 lbs. completed today.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-18-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #88
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/smolov/

For you smolov dudes
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:58 PM   #89
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Thanks man. Good read/video! Most of his negatives don't apply to me because I'm simply doing this for the challenge (...and because I already am a volume lifter anyway, and this program is brutal), but I can understand his position where powerlifters are concerned.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-19-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:52 PM   #90
BreakMyWallet

One of the first articles I read when I started. I honestly am doig the program as a kick in the ass to get back in to it. Can't wait to start back up HOPEFULLY next week
Old 02-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #91
DylloS

I didn't even read it but my sources told me it was good so I shared. What were his negatives?
Old 02-20-2015, 09:46 AM   #92
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
I didn't even read it but my sources told me it was good so I shared. What were his negatives?
Basically it is a squat program, not a powerlifting one, and the gains are temporary.
Alpine WhiteCoral RedAluminum f30 328i Sportline/6MT
Imola RedBlackBlack Aluminum e46 330i ZHP/6MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #93
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Basically it is a squat program, not a powerlifting one, and the gains are temporary.

More than the actual PR number that I might gain temporarily, I'm more concerned about the muscle that I'll add to my frame after it's all said & done. Additionally, if this program moves my normal "working" weight up 25-30 lbs., for example, I know that I'll keep much of my gains. As of right now I'll squat for long periods of times doing multiple sets of heavy singles or doubles at 315 lbs. (...and multiple sets of heavy doubles or triples at 405 lbs. when dead lifting). If those numbers jump to something like 340-350 lbs. and 450-460 lbs. respectively, for example, I'll feel like real progress was made via this shock program.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #94
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
More than the actual PR number that I might gain temporarily, I'm more concerned about the muscle that I'll add to my frame after it's all said & done. Additionally, if this program moves my normal "working" weight up 25-30 lbs., for example, I know that I'll keep much of my gains. As of right now I'll squat for long periods of times doing multiple sets of heavy singles or doubles at 315 lbs. (...and multiple sets of heavy doubles or triples at 405 lbs. when dead lifting). If those numbers jump to something like 340-350 lbs. and 450-460 lbs. respectively, for example, I'll feel like real progress was made via this shock program.
agreed. If you keep up you should be good I think.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #95
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

SMOLOV Squat Routine

Quote:
agreed. If you keep up you should be good I think.

5x @ 285 lbs. came very easy today; easier than the 3x @ 285 lbs. workout Wednesday morning. I did perform that workout fasted though. I felt really strong today......possibly because I devoured a whole XL pizza yesterday (...along with a bag of Little Caesar's Crazy Bread) AND an XL pizza today. .

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-20-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #96
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

SMOLOV Squat Routine

Well today marks the beginning of the mesocycle for me. Squatting 4 days a week for 4 weeks. Today I have 4x9 @ 235 lbs. for SMOLOV and 8x4 @ 275 lbs. for SMOLOV Jr. Fuck me now. It takes forever to warm up when benching on cold/rainy days like this......and fuck, why are they blasting the A/C??!? So irritated!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-23-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #97
DylloS

Quote:
Well today marks the beginning of the mesocycle for me. Squatting 4 days a week for 4 weeks. Today I have 4x9 @ 235 lbs. for SMOLOV and 8x4 @ 275 lbs. for SMOLOV Jr. Fuck me now. It takes forever to warm up when benching on cold/rainy days like this......and fuck, why are they blasting the A/C??!? So irritated!
Dude you got that squat easy!
Old 02-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #98
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

Quote:
Dude you got that squat easy!
I think the 4x9 will go by without a hitch. It's the back-to-back days of 270 lb. and 285 lb. squats in the next couple of days that have me cringing. This week marks the start of squatting 4 days a week. I finished the bench workout this morning, and I'll squat later this afternoon. I was reminded about a few things this morning during my bench workout.....

• Your biceps get TAXED during lots of volume (...because of the eccentric portion of the lift). Rep #1 of my final set of 4 @ 275 lbs. (..8 total) was absolutely brutal. I had very little strength left and I nearly bottomed-out because I was so fatigued; I had very little control on the descent. Reps #2-4 were better, but that last set sucked.
  • Keeping your belly full of air/core tight is absolutely imperative. I was so fatigued during that final set that my form deteriorated just a tad, and I realized that I struggled so much during the last set because I failed to brace myself adequately. I probably should have used a spot for those final four reps.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-23-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #99
DylloS

Quote:
I think the 4x9 will go by without a hitch. It's the back-to-back days of 270 lb. and 285 lb. squats in the next couple of days that have me cringing. This week marks the start of squatting 4 days a week. I finished the bench workout this morning, and I'll squat later this afternoon. I was reminded about a few things this morning during my bench workout.....

• Your biceps get TAXED during lots of volume (...because of the eccentric portion of the lift). Rep #1 of my final set of 4 @ 275 lbs. (..8 total) was absolutely brutal. I had very little strength left and I nearly bottomed-out because I was so fatigued; I had very little control on the descent. Reps #2-4 were better, but that last set sucked.
  • Keeping your belly full of air/core tight is absolutely imperative. I was so fatigued during that final set that my form deteriorated just a tad, and I realized that I struggled so much during the last set because I failed to brace myself adequately. I probably should have used a spot for those final four reps.
1. Absolutely man. The bicep on a bench is kind of like a hamstring on a squat. Very similar with the stretch reflex on the squats. I'm not sure if you're doing power lifting style with a pause but if not you are definitely getting help from the bi's which is good.

2. Agreed again. IMO people breath like sh1t. No one knows how to do it. People start pushing out the breath on the concentric part of the lift and it makes them weaker.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #100
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

Quote:
1. Absolutely man. The bicep on a bench is kind of like a hamstring on a squat. Very similar with the stretch reflex on the squats. I'm not sure if you're doing power lifting style with a pause but if not you are definitely getting help from the bi's which is good.
I normally bench with a 1-second pause at the bottom of the eccentric portion of the lift, and I'm always slow & controlled in my descent of the barbell (...which adds to the fatigue because I'm usually in the heavier weight ranges).