Proper Distance Between Radiator and Exterior Grille? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2015, 06:03 AM   #1
jhushx

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
Proper Distance Between Radiator and Exterior Grille?

This is an odd question, but ever since I finished my cooling system overhaul, its been mentally bugging me: I found that due to a slight difference between the OEM radiator I took out and the aftermarket one I put in (TYC Genera), there was a slight gap between the exterior grille and the new radiator:

I would eyeball it and say it was a distance of about 2 fingers width. Radiator is seated correctly on the side mounts and supported by the top torx screws and the perch on the bottom. Would this gap have any sort of impact on cooling and engine performance? I have not noticed any problems so far after I replaced the hoses, radiator, ET, etc.

Is it simply designed and functioning as intended, and I'm worrying over nothing? Hoping so - it would really suck to have to take everything out and do it all over again, though I suspect taking out the hoses (which were a biyatch last time) would be alot easier the second go-around since they wouldn't have been on the car since it left Deutschland.

Last edited by jhushx; 01-31-2015 at 06:06 AM.
jhushx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
Jaredxxx24

My Ride: 2000 323i
LOL dude.....it will affect the systems performance because the radiator is receiving air at a different angle than designed. Fix this immediately or you'll be sorry
Jaredxxx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:00 AM   #3
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Wait, isn't the AC condenser sitting between the grille and the radiator?
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 05:33 AM   #4
invisible man

My Ride: invisible car
OCD at its finest.
invisible man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
jhushx

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredxxx24 View Post
LOL dude.....it will affect the systems performance because the radiator is receiving air at a different angle than designed. Fix this immediately or you'll be sorry
Its not in at an angle it's in straight its just there's a difference in the width of the OEM radiator and the aftermarket (we're talking the width of 2 fingers, a tequila shot). I wanted to know if this could create any unforeseen consequences.

I also wanted to know (since I didn't know to check when uninstalling the OEM radiator) if that gap is fine and I'm simply being OCD over something which is inherently part of how the system is set up, or if by default there is supposed to be no gap at all, and the rad is supposed to snuggle up flush against the exterior grille.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
Wait, isn't the AC condenser sitting between the grille and the radiator?
No idea, but I just took out and replaced only the trans. cooler thermostat, expansion tank, lower/upper radiator hoses, O-ring for the lower hose's temp. sensor, the radiator itself, nothing more. There's no visible leaks, and my temperature gauge stays at 12:00 dead center.

Last edited by jhushx; 02-01-2015 at 11:22 AM.
jhushx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling system, grille, radiator, radiator replacement