My first car! - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #41
e46m399

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbojo911 View Post
Hehehehe that car is about to ruin your life. Once you get a BMW, you fall in love.... And that my friend is a costly relationship.

On a more serious note: Preventative maintenance is your best friend. Fix things BEFORE they break. Enjoy!
I feel you on that but I think once you fall in love with cars in general your life is over because it's one expensive hobby haha. Preventative maintenance is something I always plan to keep up with because like you said fix things before they break
e46m399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #42
e46m399

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhead429 View Post
OP...good luck and be careful?
I feel here is a nice place to share my experience with an E46 M3 as a young person. For reference, I'm nearly 21 today.
I started driving when I was 18. My first car was (and still is) an E46 323i. I resent it and love it at the same time, but that's another story.
When I was almost 20, I got it in my head to go test drive an E46 M3 that a local mom 'n pop used car lot was selling. I thought "well, I've been driving for almost 2 years, I should be fine with all that power!"
NopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNope.
Even with nearly two years of careful, accident-free driving under my belt, the E46 M3 was still WAY too much car for me to handle comfortably on public roads, let alone on a canyon run or an autocross event. Since then, I've taken it upon myself to learn how to properly handle a car at speed by attending autocross events and applying what I learn there to keep me safe on public roads. I've learned a lot, and I am still continuing to learn.

An E46 M3 isn't really powerful by 2015 standards, but it's still a handful. I'm not gonna be resentful of your luck and tell you not to have an M3, but I really recommend looking into your local BMWCCA and/or SCCA chapters and attending their autocross events and car control clinics so you can learn how to handle the car when things go pear-shaped. Believe me, you will be infinitely better for it!
Good luck OP!
Thanks for sharing your experience but I have actually looked into performance driving school and sh!t like that. I'm actually interested in programs like that because I want to be an experienced driver and learn more control. I haven't been able to find anything in my area for a decent price but I'm going to keep looking and I'm gonna look into the program you recommended. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2015, 09:23 AM   #43
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i S54 sedan (
Spend all your allowance on maintenance.

Seriously though, I had my car when I was 16 and did a bunch of stupid miss I eventually removed. I should have spent that money on maintenance rather than driving around with cracked bushings etc. your car looks good (other than the hood n trunk) and has low miles. But around that 100,000 mile mark you will need to replace everything rubber. Also your OEM suspension will b shot. If you really have the mod bug I would suggest getting some coilovers that way your doing maintenance and upgrading at the same time. Then I would start doing my research on what bushing to replace and what to replace them with vorshlag and powerflex makes good stuff, but you don't want poly bushings everywhere. In some cases it's best to stick with OEM...do your research. This forum has provided me with enough knowledge that If you show me a bolt from an e46 I can tell you where it belongs. But I've been on this forum 10 years now...dang I just realized I'm old, I still remember learning to drive stick on my e46 while showing it off to all my friends

Although my first car was not an M, 10 years ago my 328i was not a typical car for a 16 year old and I got the same haters ur getting now, don't worry about them. Haters gon hate.

If you do your car right the same people will be drooling on your car in a few years as it transforms

Last edited by BDUB328I; 02-28-2015 at 09:26 AM.
BDUB328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #44
UntaM3d

My Ride: 05 ///M Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m399 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience but I have actually looked into performance driving school and sh!t like that. I'm actually interested in programs like that because I want to be an experienced driver and learn more control. I haven't been able to find anything in my area for a decent price but I'm going to keep looking and I'm gonna look into the program you recommended. Thanks!
I have hopes for you...but I'm starting to doubt...not "hate"...there's still hope...I am not a hater, but I do have an opinion. And to me...
When you say things like 'decent price' ...that says you're not ready to afford this type of car. Not that you have to be rich or well off to own one, you just don't want to 'cut corners' in costs when you do own one.
Also, you say you're 16...lose the profanity, increase you're vocabulary, profanity only adds to the illusion of ignorance...
And I think that is what a lot of the "Haters" think you are ...just ignorant....look it up....(it does not mean stupid)

Just my .04 cents
(Yeah...I'm willing to give double)
Old 02-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #45
zamm333

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Is an e46 m3 a nice first car, yeah, no ****. Is it a GOOD first car. no, clearly not. Do yourself and that beautiful car a favor, cut a tennis ball in half, and glue it under your throttle pedal. Now that my opinion and obligatory concern for your and the cars life is out of the way, congrats. And don't worry too much about maintenance costs, find a good shop that you trust to do the work (so you don't get destroyed by a dealer), keep up on preventive and regular maintenance and you'll see that a well built car thats properly taken care of will last a long time. at 89000 miles your VANOS system is just about for sure going to need to be rebuilt (look up beisan systems), I would imagine your FCAB's and most of the bushing in your rear subframe, and almost certainly your RTAB's are toast. As for finding a beater, try to find a car that has similar driving characteristics to your m. maybe an early model e36 325, this way your practicing what driving your car will be like and you wont have to worry to much about trashing it. although an older fwd car can teach you a whole lot about understeer, you'll be hamfistin it once the m kicks its ass out on you. good luck, dont be afraid to ask questions. And be safe, remeber no matter what your driving, youre hurling around a 3000 pound hunk of metal, put your phone down and drive when youre driving.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #46
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhead429 View Post
OP...good luck and be careful?
I feel here is a nice place to share my experience with an E46 M3 as a young person. For reference, I'm nearly 21 today.
I started driving when I was 18. My first car was (and still is) an E46 323i. I resent it and love it at the same time, but that's another story.
When I was almost 20, I got it in my head to go test drive an E46 M3 that a local mom 'n pop used car lot was selling. I thought "well, I've been driving for almost 2 years, I should be fine with all that power!"
NopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNope.
Even with nearly two years of careful, accident-free driving under my belt, the E46 M3 was still WAY too much car for me to handle comfortably on public roads, let alone on a canyon run or an autocross event. Since then, I've taken it upon myself to learn how to properly handle a car at speed by attending autocross events and applying what I learn there to keep me safe on public roads. I've learned a lot, and I am still continuing to learn.

An E46 M3 isn't really powerful by 2015 standards, but it's still a handful. I'm not gonna be resentful of your luck and tell you not to have an M3, but I really recommend looking into your local BMWCCA and/or SCCA chapters and attending their autocross events and car control clinics so you can learn how to handle the car when things go pear-shaped. Believe me, you will be infinitely better for it!
Good luck OP!
The best response. Thank you and I agree 100%.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #47
e46m399

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewRag View Post
I have hopes for you...but I'm starting to doubt...not "hate"...there's still hope...I am not a hater, but I do have an opinion. And to me...
When you say things like 'decent price' ...that says you're not ready to afford this type of car. Not that you have to be rich or well off to own one, you just don't want to 'cut corners' in costs when you do own one.
Also, you say you're 16...lose the profanity, increase you're vocabulary, profanity only adds to the illusion of ignorance...
And I think that is what a lot of the "Haters" think you are ...just ignorant....look it up....(it does not mean stupid)

Just my .04 cents
(Yeah...I'm willing to give double)
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I say decent price when it comes to driving school. Yes while you can learn a lot there pretty quickly you can learn that stuff for free. Especially since I'm paying for this car I don't want to have to pay for the school, I feel everything around me is over priced. I know I can always ask my parents to pay for it but I like to be independent and rather pay for it myself. I would prefer to take the money I'd spend on that and either put it towards paying off the car or maintenance. Idk if you read my post earlier about the wrapping of the car but I said I'm willing to spend the money to perfect the process of wrapping a car. I have no problem spending money I just want my money to be well spent. About the profanity I understand what you're saying but I just use it here and there instead of being detailed. English is actually my best subject in school so believe it or not my vocab isn't bad. Replying to all these comments makes me feel conceited since I'm always "defending" myself for lack of a better word haha.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #48
e46m399

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamm333 View Post
Is an e46 m3 a nice first car, yeah, no ****. Is it a GOOD first car. no, clearly not. Do yourself and that beautiful car a favor, cut a tennis ball in half, and glue it under your throttle pedal. Now that my opinion and obligatory concern for your and the cars life is out of the way, congrats. And don't worry too much about maintenance costs, find a good shop that you trust to do the work (so you don't get destroyed by a dealer), keep up on preventive and regular maintenance and you'll see that a well built car thats properly taken care of will last a long time. at 89000 miles your VANOS system is just about for sure going to need to be rebuilt (look up beisan systems), I would imagine your FCAB's and most of the bushing in your rear subframe, and almost certainly your RTAB's are toast. As for finding a beater, try to find a car that has similar driving characteristics to your m. maybe an early model e36 325, this way your practicing what driving your car will be like and you wont have to worry to much about trashing it. although an older fwd car can teach you a whole lot about understeer, you'll be hamfistin it once the m kicks its ass out on you. good luck, dont be afraid to ask questions. And be safe, remeber no matter what your driving, youre hurling around a 3000 pound hunk of metal, put your phone down and drive when youre driving.
Idk if you saw what I said earlier but I'm not really worried about maintenance cost. The person I bought the car from and work for owns and auto body shop. He's my dad's childhood friend so like I said I'm not too concerned about that. The work done there is actually quality work too they know what they're doing compared to other shops around my area. They tend to crack on the other shops because they're known to screw up the trannies and blow engines. one time a car flew off the dyno now I'm talking about one place in particular but still the shop I work for is one of the better ones. Thanks for your insight too btw
Old 02-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #49
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
OP, when I was your age (okay, maybe 5 years older), I bought a 10 year old Corvette that needed a new frame. I loved that car, and spent all my disposable income on it. I put a new (used, but serviceable) frame under it, and rebuilt all of the other driveline components.

I have no regrets about that car. Congrats on your car. I'm sure you'll have no regrets about it.

ďThe test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.Ē

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller - BIMMER
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #50
e46m399

Like I have said previously no one here knows me or knows the person I am. I'd like to meet some of you people in the future for many reasons. Once I get my car on the road I'm sure that'll happen I plan on being an active member in the car community. My friend always brings me to the car meets and it's a really fun place to be, you meet some cool people and you get to talk about a passion we all share.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #51
e46m399

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
OP, when I was your age (okay, maybe 5 years older), I bought a 10 year old Corvette that needed a new frame. I loved that car, and spent all my disposable income on it. I put a new (used, but serviceable) frame under it, and rebuilt all of the other driveline components.

I have no regrets about that car. Congrats on your car. I'm sure you'll have no regrets about it.
I respect that and feel like that's something I would do. I feel I will also have no regrets about my car because I bought it because I enjoy it and appreciate it, not to get approval from others or have it as a status symbol. Thanks for the positivity man
Old 03-01-2015, 03:04 AM   #52
UntaM3d

My Ride: 05 ///M Convertible
Quote:
...I bought it because I enjoy it and appreciate it, not to get approval from others or have it as a status symbol....
Almost exactly what I said many years ago...I'm so glad that I did not buy my car to impress someone else, I bought it, and upgraded how I wanted to, simply because "I" wanted to, not because someone else liked it a certain way...if you don't like my car....it doesn't bother me one bit.

Quote:
.....Replying to all these comments makes me feel conceited since I'm always "defending" myself for lack of a better word haha.
I suggest you don't fuel the haters by defending yourself, they are just trying to get a rise out of you...go back to the first few posts...

They say...

CONGRATS
ENJOY
BE SAFE

That about sums it up ...
Old 03-01-2015, 05:44 AM   #53
cak323i

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
I respect that and feel like that's something I would do. I feel I will also have no regrets about my car because I bought it because I enjoy it and appreciate it, not to get approval from others or have it as a status symbol. Thanks for the positivity man
Exactly!! Seems you got your M3 for all the right reasons Take good care of the car and when your able, do tasteful mods to keep your car looking clean. That's the key....eventually you will end up with a car everyone wants to check out Good luck and enjoy every moment of ///M ownership
Old 03-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #54
XKR

My Ride: 2001 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewRag View Post
Almost exactly what I said many years ago...I'm so glad that I did not buy my car to impress someone else, I bought it, and upgraded how I wanted to, simply because "I" wanted to, not because someone else liked it a certain way...if you don't like my car....it doesn't bother me one bit.

I suggest you don't fuel the haters by defending yourself, they are just trying to get a rise out of you...go back to the first few posts...

They say...

CONGRATS
ENJOY
BE SAFE

That about sums it up ...
Nobody is hating. People are giving advice to a future new driver driving a high performance machine that requires excessive maintenance that may be overwhelming for kid with 0 real life experience.

Now as far as the car it self go, not everyone has the same taste. Tail light tints could be argued that they're dangerous and not everyone likes cars that have different color body panels.

~SGT catless headers|Full BW 3.5" Resonated Race Exhaust w/ diffuser | Epic Motorsports Race Tune | BAC Filter | BW Intake Elbow
~Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs | Sebion CF hood | CF Kidneys | ‹mnitiza Predator Orion V4

Last edited by XKR; 03-01-2015 at 01:24 PM.
XKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:52 AM   #55
Andrew Fanning

My Ride: E46 318i Sport Vert
Year: 2003
Model: 318 sport convertibl
Transmission: Manual
New to this site and the bmw scene, reading through old posts to learn as much as I can and find inspiration... Would love to know how this turned out and what you did to the car, if you are still a member or even still have the car I bet it been through a few phases now.

By the way I think its great that you decided to put your money into your passion rather that partying, I purchased my first car at 14 and stripped and built it in the home garage with my father. The build, club events and shows we attended together are some of my most cherished memories. I do however wish my father had of been more into sport and that rubbed off on my rather than his petrol addiction, I have been hooked on cars and bike since my early teens and always been broke as a result.
Andrew Fanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:25 AM   #56
e46m399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Fanning View Post
New to this site and the bmw scene, reading through old posts to learn as much as I can and find inspiration... Would love to know how this turned out and what you did to the car, if you are still a member or even still have the car I bet it been through a few phases now.

By the way I think its great that you decided to put your money into your passion rather that partying, I purchased my first car at 14 and stripped and built it in the home garage with my father. The build, club events and shows we attended together are some of my most cherished memories. I do however wish my father had of been more into sport and that rubbed off on my rather than his petrol addiction, I have been hooked on cars and bike since my early teens and always been broke as a result.

Welcome, I still have the car & it kinda has gone through a few phases although not as many as I would like haha. Cars been painted, interior swapped, new steering wheel, wheels, headers/muffler, coilovers & I believe thatís about it besides standard maintenance. Iím in the same boat as you though lol but donít regret making the purchase. What was the first car you built? Plans for the m3 have been put on hold for a bit though since I just bought a 2011 535i that pulled the serpentine belt through the crank seal. Bought/buying a bunch of parts to repair it & prevent future headaches.

I will say reading through this thread makes me cringe lol wish I never made the post but such is life. Anyway Iíll attach some photos of the car now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk