Anybody else follow this principle? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Anybody else follow this principle?

If you want to make a statement that we all ought to get on board to fight poverty, I'm with you. If you want to say that we ought to fight income inequality I'm not with you at all. Because I don't think that the rich guy stole from the poor guy. In fact rich people don't get rich by stealing from poor people because it turns out poor people don't have money.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Well, the second thing makes sense (don't depend on only one source of income), the don't diversify is pretty stupid though.

Last edited by Wraisil; 04-27-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #3
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
Well, the second thing makes sense (don't depend on only one source of income), the don't diversify is pretty stupid though.
I've always read and been told to diversify which is why I posted the question. Never really ran into anybody who's followed this principle though. Maybe for heavy investors who rely on it for their main source of income?
If you want to make a statement that we all ought to get on board to fight poverty, I'm with you. If you want to say that we ought to fight income inequality I'm not with you at all. Because I don't think that the rich guy stole from the poor guy. In fact rich people don't get rich by stealing from poor people because it turns out poor people don't have money.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
SLVR JDM

My Ride: E39 M5
Sure, you can lack diversification and come out just fine. It is terrible blanket advice though. In fact, very few people should be doing this.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
I've always read and been told to diversify which is why I posted the question. Never really ran into anybody who's followed this principle though. Maybe for heavy investors who rely on it for their main source of income?
The only time I could see "don't diversify" as acceptable advice would be if someone was exceptionally knowledgeable on one type of investment and diversification would prevent them from using that knowledge while having them invest in other things "blindly". (i.e. Joe Schmoe knows his real estate market and could invest all his money in rental properties with significant expected returns but not if he takes a decent % of that money and puts it in the stock market where he's oblivious and would probably pick random penny stocks as his "investment" in the stock market...). In general though, it sounds like a really bad idea (and in particular, it seems like a decent idea only if a person is retarded-smart on one investment method but otherwise just plain retarded...
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote