Susquehannah - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements > Ask a Site Sponsor

Ask a Site Sponsor
Ask a site sponsor a question, request pricing on products or suggest a group buy!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
susquehannah

My Ride: bmw 323i
Susquehannah

Help please. My '98 323i is overheating, so badly I'm afraid, that I have quit driving it. This is killing me. Water is going somewhere, but not into oil or out the exhaust. I am trying diligently to educate myself about the mechanical workings of my car. Tenacity and reliable sources of info seem to be the important part at this stage. Anyway, the overheating?
susquehannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
zigoapex

My Ride: bmw 325 xi
if your not loosing fluids,most likely it's your thermostat.pretty easy fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmt.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	610384  
2003 325xi > new plugs-O2 sensors pre cat replaced ccv valve and 4 hoses-S.A.P.hoses and intake plug-M.A.F-intake boot oil housing gasket water pump and belts-fuel filter-fuel pump-cleaned I.C.V.-throttle body-changed front differential oil--drivers side-axle-passenger side axle Front wheel bearings-front lower control arms-control arm bushings-Steering Rack Boots-alternator-rt front tie rod, front brake pads and rotors.

Last edited by zigoapex; 08-23-2015 at 10:30 AM.
zigoapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld
Sponsor

My Ride: M3/LMR-3
Could possibly be just the thermostat, but if the car is overheating at all, it's best to sort it out before continuing to drive the car. Thermostat might be the quick and easy way to test, and possibly fix the issue. Depending on the mileage, however, it might just be time for a full cooling system overhaul, as the plastic and rubber parts all tend to degrade and be at risk of failure depending on condition. We generally recommend overhauls at or before the 100K mile mark when basing on mileage, but I've always done my cooling systems preventatively at around 80K miles for peace of mind.

The overhaul kit for an E46 isn't a terribly tough job, and the kit pricing saves a good amount of money (and time from searching): http://store.bimmerworld.com/e46-3-s...kit-p1454.aspx

Jonathan
BimmerWorld
Race Proven Performance
www.bimmerworld.com
www.bimmerworldracing.com
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld is offline   Reply With Quote