Holy ****ing **** the UK is leaving the EU - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #21
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
So explain why the military is overwhelmingly conservative if conservatives are merely expecting others to serve? You're premise is, once again, incorrect. Conservatives are more likely to volunteer to serve, and conservatives who don't serve are vastly more appreciative of the sacrifices of those who serve. What is the political party of (a) the last president to implement the draft and (b) the last president to end the draft?

To be clear, I acknowledge many liberals have and will serve. I am directing my criticism at your type of liberal pathology that fortunately remains extreme and, of course, wrong.
There is a wide array of reasons and motivations for serving in the military. IIRC, liberal Vermont (Bernie's state) has a relatively high proportion serving - on a par with Alabama or Texas. I would disagree with your contention the liberals are unappreciative of those who serve, even if they're more questioning and discerning about the use of military force, a reticence shared with libertarians by the way.

Not sure the relevance of the party of the President was regarding the draft, which is done by an Act of Congress anyway.

Personally, reinstating the draft might not be a bad idea to get a far broader representation and skinny the game across from across our. Probably the least represented slice of our society, militarily, are rich white people regardless of political leaning. Perhaps we'd have fewer hung go chicken hawks to get us into debacles like Iraq.

There is also a wide array of ways to serve our society too outside the military - the civil service for one.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #22
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
There is a wide array of reasons and motivations for serving in the military. IIRC, liberal Vermont (Bernie's state) has a relatively high proportion serving - on a par with Alabama or Texas. I would disagree with your contention the liberals are unappreciative of those who serve, even if they're more questioning and discerning about the use of military force, a reticence shared with libertarians by the way.

Not sure the relevance of the party of the President was regarding the draft, which is done by an Act of Congress anyway.

Personally, reinstating the draft might not be a bad idea to get a far broader representation and skinny the game across from across our. Probably the least represented slice of our society, militarily, are rich white people regardless of political leaning. Perhaps we'd have fewer hung go chicken hawks to get us into debacles like Iraq.

There is also a wide array of ways to serve our society too outside the military - the civil service for one.
Reading comprehension fail. I didn't say all liberals are unappreciative, only that conservatives are more appreciative. You are quite adept at scoring points in a game no one else is playing. Do you give yourself a trophy as well?

And of course you support conscription - forcing others to do for you is reflexive.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:24 AM   #23
Rhumb

You're right, I'd guess conservatives are.037% more appreciative than liberals.

I assume in our next war we can look for you down at the local recruiting station, don't want others doing the fighting for you.

Last edited by Rhumb; 06-25-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #24
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
So explain why the military is overwhelmingly conservative if conservatives are merely expecting others to serve? You're premise is, once again, incorrect. Conservatives are more likely to volunteer to serve, and conservatives who don't serve are vastly more appreciative of the sacrifices of those who serve. What is the political party of (a) the last president to implement the draft and (b) the last president to end the draft?

To be clear, I acknowledge many liberals have and will serve. I am directing my criticism at your type of liberal pathology that fortunately remains extreme and, of course, wrong.

The last potus to implement a draft was Ronald Reagan. I know, I had to register for it when he signed it into law.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #25
3coupe

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Reading comprehension fail. I didn't say all liberals are unappreciative, only that conservatives are more appreciative. You are quite adept at scoring points in a game no one else is playing. Do you give yourself a trophy as well?

And of course you support conscription - forcing others to do for you is reflexive.
Conscription doesn't mean making other people serve in the military. It actually means everyone has an equal chance of being selected (depending on what loopholes are added to the bill).

Saying that conservatives are more appreciative is also deceptive. No matter the political affiliation, most career politicians never served and basically use support for the armed services to gain votes.
3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #26
badfast

My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Globalism is literally cancer, short manlets beware
Well you better get comfortable with it. Its not going anywhere for awhile.

Last edited by badfast; 06-25-2016 at 11:15 AM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:24 PM   #27
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: pisses off liberals
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
The last potus to implement a draft was Ronald Reagan. I know, I had to register for it when he signed it into law.

Uh, wat? If you mean extending Carter's policy after establishing the MMTF to review the issue (which in fairness one of his campaign platforms was abolishing the selective service ((note that the SS and draft were not synonymous)), then sure I guess you could twist that around to say "Reagan was the last POTUS to implement the draft" although it's not an honest statement.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #28
Black///M

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
Wasn't Charlie Rangel the one always introducing a bill to bring back the draft?
Black///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #29
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Because we don't have a thread in the general section
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #30
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
Because we don't have a thread in the general section
We need a #Poliexit. Take our forum back. There exists no border between OT and PoliTalk. Both are classified as subforums within The Off-Topic. We need to take our forum back, folks.

Last edited by badfast; 06-25-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #31
Rhumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Guess we could take the North Korea approach and seal ourselves in from all those "others." Give me a moment to research how well that's worked out for them...

Oh, not well at all.

Last edited by Rhumb; 06-25-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #32
Cabrio330

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Selective service is not the same as the draft. So you're incorrect. And I know because I too had to register on my 18th birthday.

Last edited by Cabrio330; 06-25-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:10 PM   #33
Cabrio330

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
Uh, wat? If you mean extending Carter's policy after establishing the MMTF to review the issue (which in fairness one of his campaign platforms was abolishing the selective service ((note that the SS and draft were not synonymous)), then sure I guess you could twist that around to say "Reagan was the last POTUS to implement the draft" although it's not an honest statement.
rdsesq is incorrect. Whether he is ignorant or just being dishonest is something he alone can answer.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:13 PM   #34
Cabrio330

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3coupe View Post
Conscription doesn't mean making other people serve in the military. It actually means everyone has an equal chance of being selected (depending on what loopholes are added to the bill).

Saying that conservatives are more appreciative is also deceptive. No matter the political affiliation, most career politicians never served and basically use support for the armed services to gain votes.
I say conservatives, and somehow you construe that as applying only to politicians. Why? Are there no conservatives in the general populace?
Old 06-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #35
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
rdsesq is incorrect. Whether he is ignorant or just being dishonest is something he alone can answer.

The ignorance is yours. Draft is compulsory recruitment for military service. Conscription is compulsory enlistments or state service, typically the military.

It's OK. It is a common mistake. Most people confuse the two. Registering for selective service is a draft. If the govt called people up from the selective service data, that is conscription.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #36
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
I say conservatives, and somehow you construe that as applying only to politicians. Why? Are there no conservatives in the general populace?

There are no conservatives in the general population, just the deluded. :p

Old 06-26-2016, 11:57 AM   #37
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Seems like backlash in effect
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #38
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Seems like backlash in effect
Maybe. And it could be a misdirected backlash. A large portion of people that voted leave were poor, not well educated (high portion of leave vote didn't have a HS eduation), and felt they were being excluded from any economic benefits. Very similar to the profile of a Trump supporter. Perhaps it isn't globalization that is responsible but their lack of access and benefit of progressive policies.

Last edited by badfast; 06-26-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #39
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Supposedly 5 more countries are thinking about leaving...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...-Europe-Brexit

Those stupid Europeans don't learn huh? The whole "state" thing barely works here, and it's one country...what made those fvcktards think it could work there lol
Old 06-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #40
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Maybe. And it could be a misdirected backlash. A large portion of people that voted leave were poor, not well educated (high portion of leave vote didn't have a HS eduation), and felt they were being excluded from any economic benefits. Very similar to the profile of a Trump supporter. Perhaps it isn't globalization that is responsible but their lack of access and benefit of progressive policies.
Possibly, but I think you're also equating education with intelligence. They are quite different.
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote