***The Official Jeep Thread*** - Page 27 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #521
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Sam get in here and post pics!!!!!
Old 08-01-2019, 01:21 PM   #522
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Sam get in here and post pics!!!!!
Ok here goes.

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in Dark Cherry. Picked up with 18400 miles on the clock (srs) and from Arizona. The GPS still thinks "home" is in Gilbert AZ lol. Came with a 3" Mopar/Teraflex lift with Fox remote reservoir shocks and 35" MT tires that will be getting swapped for KO2s the next time a sale comes up. The rest is stock.

Upcoming mods (likely in this order)
1.) New KO2 tires, probably staying with the 35's
2.) Raising the third brake light, it currently is blocked by the spare.
3.) Installing LED headlights, the factory ones are garbage
4.) Installing new headunit with backup camera, reversing this thing is downright dangerous
5.) Replacing the plastic step rails with steel rock rails
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190729_210115.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	780973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190730_195212.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	780975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190730_195243.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	780977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190730_195256.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	780979  

Last edited by SamDoe1; 08-01-2019 at 01:24 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #523
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Just not a fan of the MT tires?

Also if you aren't dead set on the KO2s look at Hankook Dynapro ATMs, they are great tires and aren't that expensive.

Last edited by bgsmith; 08-01-2019 at 01:27 PM.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #524
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Just not a fan of the MT tires?
They ride and sound like a freight train.

While this thing will go off road for sure, it'll still have to travel thousands of miles to get to anything reasonable. I'd rather not do that on MT tires lol.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 08-01-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #525
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Upcoming mods (likely in this order)
1.) New KO2 tires, probably staying with the 35's
2.) Raising the third brake light, it currently is blocked by the spare.
3.) Installing LED headlights, the factory ones are garbage (DONE)
4.) Installing new headunit with backup camera, reversing this thing is downright dangerous
5.) Replacing the plastic step rails with steel rock rails
Well I didn't do this in the correct order...

First mod (of my doing) done, replaced the sh1tty stock halogens with some LED JW Speaker headlights.

New KO2's next weekend. Labor day tire sales FTW!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190824_155434.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	782457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190824_161116.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	782459  
Old 08-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #526
Adamo99

My Ride: 911
Quote:
Well I didn't do this in the correct order...

First mod (of my doing) done, replaced the sh1tty stock halogens with some LED JW Speaker headlights.

New KO2's next weekend. Labor day tire sales FTW!
Congrats, dude! Nice ride.

The KO2s are awesome tires. *much* better than the Duratracs- those were a bitch to keep balanced. Not sure where you are, but the Duratracs only had decent snow performance for the first season- the sipes aren't deep enough in the tires to last much longer.

Take a look on your local Craigslist/Kijiji for take-off Rubicon Hard Rock rails- there were a whole bunch of them when I added them to my 75th AE.

You may be able to pick up some fairly inexpensive take-off Hard Rock front and rear bumpers as well.

Also, consider getting a mesh grill in front of the rad, too- to save your rad from stones and large pieces of debris.

Last edited by Adamo99; 08-26-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #527
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
Congrats, dude! Nice ride.

The KO2s are awesome tires. *much* better than the Duratracs- those were a bitch to keep balanced. Not sure where you are, but the Duratracs only had decent snow performance for the first season- the sipes aren't deep enough in the tires to last much longer.

Take a look on your local Craigslist/Kijiji for take-off Rubicon Hard Rock rails- there were a whole bunch of them when I added them to my 75th AE.

You may be able to pick up some fairly inexpensive take-off Hard Rock front and rear bumpers as well.

Also, consider getting a mesh grill in front of the rad, too- to save your rad from stones and large pieces of debris.
Thanks man! Yeah, these MT/R tires are awful but I'm going to try and sell them to someone who doesn't care about livability and just wants the look...of which there are plenty of people. I'm in MN so snow and ice traction is a definite must lol.

I'll look around c-list for rock rails but I kinda want ones that have a step. Getting into this thing with a 4" lift and 35's is a pain already even with the step lol. I've definitely been on the lookout for the hard rock bumpers but no luck yet. There are TONS of normal plastic ones on the market though...

I've been looking into the mesh grill, which one do you recommend? I've seen everything from the rear mount grill, which is what I want, to the front mount inserts. Thoughts?
Old 08-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #528
Adamo99

^^ the one I bought for all of my JKUs were the Rugged Ridge one- Rugged Ridge 11401.31 Gloss Black Mesh Grille Insert Screen for Jeep Wrangler JK. Sells for about $90 on Amazon.
Don't drill any holes or anything- the newer versions have little tabs that you can use to connect to the grille with small zip ties. If you drill holes, mounting the recommended way, the plastic bends and doesn't sit as nicely. You'll see what I mean when you open the box, and look at the mounting areas.

The regular Rubicon rails do not have a step, and are the stock ones that came with my 75th, too. The Hard Rock edition has an extra bar that sticks out a few inches, can be used as a step, and also adds extra protection from doors. Whatever you do, don't get the aftermarket ones that look super beefy, but have only two connection points- those are actually weaker and provide much less protection than the stock units- which have three connection points to the body/frame.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #529
SamDoe1

Quote:
^^ the one I bought for all of my JKUs were the Rugged Ridge one- Rugged Ridge 11401.31 Gloss Black Mesh Grille Insert Screen for Jeep Wrangler JK. Sells for about $90 on Amazon.
Don't drill any holes or anything- the newer versions have little tabs that you can use to connect to the grille with small zip ties. If you drill holes, mounting the recommended way, the plastic bends and doesn't sit as nicely. You'll see what I mean when you open the box, and look at the mounting areas.

The regular Rubicon rails do not have a step, and are the stock ones that came with my 75th, too. The Hard Rock edition has an extra bar that sticks out a few inches, can be used as a step, and also adds extra protection from doors. Whatever you do, don't get the aftermarket ones that look super beefy, but have only two connection points- those are actually weaker and provide much less protection than the stock units- which have three connection points to the body/frame.
Thanks man, I added that mesh grill to my next Amazon order.

I'll look into those rock rails too, I might get the aftermarket version just for availability but I'm definitely on the lookout for the hard rock bumpers...

Whoever put the lift on this thing never upgraded the front track bar and there's a ton of flex in the system and the axle isn't centered. I'm adding a new forged front track bar this weekend to fix that problem. I think this plus the new tires will fix a lot of the wandering issue I have going on.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 08-26-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:45 AM   #530
SamDoe1

Got the new track bar bolted on last night, was a way easier project than any car work I've ever done. Got the old one out and new one installed in about 20 minutes. The longest time was to torque the thing down to 130ftlbs while holding the back nut in place. Then adjusting the steering wheel for center. The enormous amount of space underneath to work in is amazing. Didn't even have to jack it up and I fit just fine underneath.

Pics of old and new. It made a MASSIVE difference in how this thing drives, way better and more confident than before. Next step is to get an alignment and call this project done! New tires tomorrow morning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190828_194131.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	782759  
Old 09-01-2019, 11:53 PM   #531
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
I highly recommend you get at least a quality steel front bumper, it will save you tens of thousands of damage if you ever get into even a minor accident. For rails, get something with a 4" or so bump out (like ace) so that your paint is protected from other car doors, shopping carts, etc.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:59 PM   #532
NFRs2000nyc

Oh, and two more things.....

Good call on getting rid of those MTRs....some of the worst tires on the market, period. Also, I would highly suggest a quality carrier (not teraflex.) The JK tailgate doesn't like that much weight on it, and the spot welds may begin to let go after a while. Also, if you're not going to do it anytime soon, at least make sure the isolators are touching the tire.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:24 AM   #533
SamDoe1

What is a quality bumper and tire carrier?

I'm planning on doing Ace sliders or similar followed up with an oil pan skid plate in the spring.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #534
SamDoe1

Got these installed on Friday last week and holy sh1t do they make a difference. These tires really make it a whole different Jeep, so much quieter and more confident on the road. Already sold off the MTR's to some bro who wanted them for his mall crawler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190830_113242.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	783021  
Old 09-04-2019, 12:34 AM   #535
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
What is a quality bumper and tire carrier?

I'm planning on doing Ace sliders or similar followed up with an oil pan skid plate in the spring.
Obviously looks are subjective, but EVO, poison spyder, motobilt, rampage, amongst others are good. Ideally, you want something with a prerunner bar (a hoop/barwork that point OUTWARD (away from the vehicle.) This allows for 2 things, first, in an accident, increases distance to vital organs of the jeep (ie radiator) and in the event of an animal strike, it will push the object, ie a deer UNDER the tires rather than up and over the hood. Remember, with a jeep, especially on 35s, if an animal strike is probable, you can't swerve, you'll just hurt yourself, rather that simply kill the animal. Just make sure the hoop is solid, welded to the bumper, and has adequate support (via for example, a triangulated support bracket) that makes it extremely difficult if not impossible to deform. Note however, the damage to the occupants of the Jeep in INCREASE in the event of a collision with a solid object, ie, a tree or a concrete divider, but unless you like to drink and drive, this should not be an issue. If you plan on offroading, I'd recommend an oil and more importantly, a transmission skid plate. Those transmission cooler lines are exposed are are weak, AND easily damaged with a loose branch or something of the sort. The EVO protek skids are extremely effective, dont trap heat or leaves, and the price is very reasonable. Stay away from those stupid belly skid systems for $1000+.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 09-04-2019 at 12:35 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:37 AM   #536
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Got these installed on Friday last week and holy sh1t do they make a difference. These tires really make it a whole different Jeep, so much quieter and more confident on the road. Already sold off the MTR's to some bro who wanted them for his mall crawler.
Check that they inflated them properly, and not the 37-42psi they love inflating them to. You should be in the 28-32 range with 35s, do a chalk test if you want to be accurate.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #537
Adamo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Check that they inflated them properly, and not the 37-42psi they love inflating them to. You should be in the 28-32 range with 35s, do a chalk test if you want to be accurate.
+1 - at the factory pressures, these things ride like a pogo stick. I had mine typically at about 30psi, and it drove and tracked perfectly.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #538
SamDoe1

I'm pretty sure mine are aired up to 38psi...at least that's what the TPMS says. I'll deflate down to 32. Is there any big hit to driveability with the lower tire pressure?
Old 09-04-2019, 10:42 PM   #539
Adamo99

Quote:
I'm pretty sure mine are aired up to 38psi...at least that's what the TPMS says. I'll deflate down to 32. Is there any big hit to driveability with the lower tire pressure?
Exact opposite - it will drive much better, soak up irregularities in the road, and handle abrupt surface changes much better. Just try it, and if you don't like it, you can always revert back.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:34 PM   #540
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Exact opposite - it will drive much better, soak up irregularities in the road, and handle abrupt surface changes much better. Just try it, and if you don't like it, you can always revert back.

This. Over inflating tires will....

Make the ride super harsh

Make the tires wear down the centers way too fast

Make your steering extremely twitchy and darty

Also, since you have 35s, keep and eye on your balljoints. The OEM ones have plastic cups for the ball and wear quickly with the weight of a 35Ē tire, so every once in a while, check for balljoint play. If so, upgrade them to something like crown HD ball joints. When you do, that is the perfect time to have C gussets installed for your axle housing Cís. It is the only modification I would recommend for a stock Dana axle. Donít let any shop try and sell you crap like sleeves or trusses.