2001 330xi Overheating Issue - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #41
markm1162

My Ride: 2003 325i
Year: 2003
Model: 325i
Transmission: Automatic
Well today was another great day NOT! Last night I tried sticking a piece of cardboard in the fan and sure enough it stopped dead which tells me that the fan clutch needed to be replaced. I spent a good part of the day getting the car 50 miles north and taking out the fan and shroud. What I found was that in fact it was the original fan clutch (Beher) and after I was able to successfully install the new fan clutch and saw that it passed the cardboard test, I then bled out the system and left the shop. Watching my OBD Fusion closely I saw that it was running between 200-215 degrees seeming to spike more at stop lights then when moving. The good news was that the coolant light nor the check engine light came on during the 15 minute 5 mile drive to where I was staying tonight. The question now is am I fixed or not? I think I bled it properly because I ran the heater full blast and no bubbles were coming out when I closed it up. I'm still not totally convinced the problem is completely solved but it's a start.
markm1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:55 PM   #42
markm1162

One last question for tonight. Would a Oil Cooler thermostat Housing be contributing to any of these issues?
Old 08-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #43
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Nope, problem not solved. The mechanical fan doesn't do much, while the electric fan is critical.

The problem is either coolant flow or air flow. Need to do some checks to see which.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #44
Sapote

My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
215F or 102C is not normal, which should be around 94C moving and spike up to 96 in slow traffic or up hill.
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #45
markm1162

The electric fan is working. The engine fan clutch is now brand new. What to do, what to do? Did I bleed the system wrong?
Old 08-21-2018, 09:30 PM   #46
markm1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Nope, problem not solved. The mechanical fan doesn't do much, while the electric fan is critical.

The problem is either coolant flow or air flow. Need to do some checks to see which.
What checks and how should I do them. I have an appointment with a guy up here in West Palm Beach tomorrow who I'm told is really good.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #47
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1162 View Post
One last question for tonight. Would a Oil Cooler thermostat Housing be contributing to any of these issues?
No such thing.

If you mean the little coolant thermostat for the ATF heat exchanger, then no, as it doesn’t block coolant flow even when closed.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 08-21-2018 at 11:02 PM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #48
markm1162

It was a spring that I saw when we took out the old radiator. We never really figured out what that was. I thought it was a thermostat spring when I first saw it but now know that wasn't it.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:32 PM   #49
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

Quote:
It was a spring that I saw when we took out the old radiator. We never really figured out what that was. I thought it was a thermostat spring when I first saw it but now know that wasn't it.
I'm guessing he also removed the expansion tank and that spring fell out of its lower connection? It's part of that little ATF heat exchanger thermostat and usually breaks apart when removing the expansion tank.
https://goo.gl/images/MVBzBU

Last edited by BaliDawg; 08-21-2018 at 10:33 PM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:54 PM   #50
markm1162

Actually I remember that little clip on the bottom of the expansion tank and we were able to get that back on. As of right now no leaks, I just checked.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:58 PM   #51
markm1162

Some asked in the thread what brand of parts I was using. The water pump and fan clutch are from Import Direct (O'Reilly Auto Parts). The Upper and Lower hoses are Gates.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:38 PM   #52
markm1162

Quote:
Well the verdict is now in. I went to pick up the car, owner already left for the day so I went ahead and took the vehicle which was in the parking lot because I had the master key and they had been left with the Valet key. I take it down the street to a auto parts store and find out it's 2 quarts low on oil and low on antifreeze. I add the 2 quarts of oil and bleed out the system and took it to my mechanic up in West Palm Beach who verified that the fan clutch had been destroyed and in an earlier conversation with the owner before I went to pick up the car he stated that the tensioner pulley I brought him was the wrong part (Gates 38201) so they just put the old one back on. I found both the old water pump and the tensioner pulley (minus the box) so I couldn't return the part that was later verified to be the right tensioner! Here's where the story gets interesting however, 2 days ago we agreed to $400 total for the entire job including installing the new water pump and tensioner but I haven't paid him anything yet and I don't want to screw over the guy even though he obviously tried to do that to me! I told him I had been in the forum trying to diagnose the problem and his comment was "I don't sit around and talk to a bunch of computer wizards I fix cars! The car is now in my possession and it's not ever going back to that shop! My upbringing tells me that the thing to do is subtract the cost of the fan clutch and labor as well as the money for the tensioner since I don't have the box they most likely threw away. I want my key back and my guess is that it's going to be close to $400 to get everything fixed correctly. I was able to finally locate the "pin prick" hole in the lower radiator hose and that's what the problem has been all along. When I told him that all he wanted to do is start piling on more problems. When I brought him the parts he said he needed then he said it was something else! I've been raked over the coals, lied to, mislead, but here's one thing that's an absolute for sure! I watched that so called mechanic take a impact chisel to that fan nut and force it the wrong way and then listened to him tell me that it was seized and he couldn't get it off! Really the only question that remains is what would you do if you were me? If I had paid this guy today I'd be on my way to small claims court tomorrow! Social Media (Yelp and Google) would have a field day with this! Just trying to figure out how to handle this at this point? "
Here's what hasn't been mentioned yet. The Firestone guy called me at 11am this morning and I relayed to him what had been discovered overnight and that I took the car down the street and found it to be 2 quarts low on oil (I took him 8 quarts of Mobil One 0/40) I don't think they even put a new oil filter in it and it was low on antifreeze so I replaced the 2 quarts of oil and topped off the antifreeze. I told him that his mechanic had destroyed the fan clutch with an impact chisel and I stood there and watched him do it because he tried to force the fan nut the WRONG WAY and returned a uninstalled Gates tensioner (he said it was the wrong part so he put the old one back on) Upon a cross check with the O'Reilly people they told me it was absolutely the right tensioner! I found the box for the water pump and the new tensioner (without a box) so I couldn't return it. He claims he went out and got the box out of the trash! Then he started another lie that he had the water pump and whoever had it before stripped the threads then I just told him Bull **** I've got the water pump in my possession and there are no stripped threads on the water pump or inside of the fan nut so there's just another lie you told me. I said "Here's what I'm going to do, once I replace the fan clutch and deduct the cost of the tensioner that you threw away the box on and now I can't get my money back on I'll pay you what the difference is" He then started running his mouth about theft of services and I told him hell I'll take care of that one for you, I can go down and file lawsuit in Small Claims Court you won't have to do a thing and we'll let the judge decide! This was his reply -- "You know what, **** YOU I hope you run that ****ing car into a tree and DIE!" Then he hung up. The only reason that this guy is still in business is that he has the word FIRESTONE written on his building! He still has the valet key to this car and I probably won't get that back but there's a couple of things I haven't done yet that I could well do including reviews on both Yelp and Google about his wonderful business practices, Writing a letter to Firestone itself and detailing how one of their dealers cheats and treats their customers. Maybe a link back to this thread would be plenty or I really wanted to be an asshole about it I could just drag his ass into court and let the judge tell him to give me the key back.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:06 AM   #53
markm1162

Crankcase Vent Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
I suspect your mechanic is referring to this pipe which commonly leaks where it enters the cylinder head. For several years now there has been a metal alternative to the OE plastic pipe. It runs under the intake.
If your're referring to the crankcase vent valve (There were 5 plastic hoses in a kit that ran up under/around the engine, we replaced those a few months back along with a DISA valve because the engine was running so rough. That fixed the problem!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:10 AM   #54
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
I guess you want to diy your stuff now? It saves a huge headache for the most part
Old 08-22-2018, 12:30 AM   #55
markm1162

Absolutely!

Absolutely! lol!

I just wish I had a garage, lift (or access to one) and more of the BMW related tools. I have all the tools to work on computers and networks. I do carry working tools in the trunk of my car and my sockets and allen wrenches have come in really handy but having shade is the most important thing because it's as hot as the blue blazes of hell down here right now! My E46 has 183,000 on it now. I bought it a year ago with 143,000. 40,000 miles this past year! My goal is to get 250,000 out of it but this one dipwad has tried to sabotage me every step of the way!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:39 AM   #56
armenh7

Quote:
Absolutely! lol!

I just wish I had a garage, lift (or access to one) and more of the BMW related tools. I have all the tools to work on computers and networks. I do carry working tools in the trunk of my car and my sockets and allen wrenches have come in really handy but having shade is the most important thing because it's as hot as the blue blazes of hell down here right now! My E46 has 183,000 on it now. I bought it a year ago with 143,000. 40,000 miles this past year! My goal is to get 250,000 out of it but this one dipwad has tried to sabotage me every step of the way!
You don't really need any of that. I live in an apartment with no garage, a $20 Walmart tool kit + whatever tools I need from harbor freight, amazon, ebay, etc, a harbor freight jack and jack stands that I got recently, and this forum. Having a lift and garage is very nice, yes, but I go by the saying you gotta work with what you have. There aren't too many "BMW related" tools. Get an inpa cable from eBay for around $15 and a pa soft/BMW scanner 1.4 cable off of ebay for around $15.

Last edited by armenh7; 08-22-2018 at 12:39 AM.
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:02 AM   #57
markm1162

pa soft/BMW scanner 1.4 cable and the inpa cable questions

I can do that. I have the OBDII module that's wireless and I use that in conjunction with the IOS OBD Fusion software. I use it to monitor engine temperature and reset the check engine light. Do you know of any otherapps or software that will work with the OBDII module that plugs right into the data port? I have a old school i7 laptop but no bluetooth I do however have a usb to serial converter cable (9 pin female) Would that work for the PA Soft - software? pa soft/BMW scanner 1.4 cable and the inpa cable from eBay I'm just not familiar with. No problem buying them. More interested in what they do that the OBD Fusion app doesn't?
Old 08-22-2018, 01:11 AM   #58
armenh7

Quote:
I can do that. I have the OBDII module that's wireless and I use that in conjunction with the IOS OBD Fusion software. I use it to monitor engine temperature and reset the check engine light. Do you know of any otherapps or software that will work with the OBDII module that plugs right into the data port? I have a old school i7 laptop but no bluetooth I do however have a usb to serial converter cable (9 pin female) Would that work for the PA Soft - software? pa soft/BMW scanner 1.4 cable and the inpa cable from eBay I'm just not familiar with. No problem buying them. More interested in what they do that the OBD Fusion app doesn't?
Obdfusion is a more "run of the mill" generic obd2 scanner. Inpa and pa soft are more BMW specific. They read all the modules rather than just the DME (ecu) like obdfusion. They allow you to code things and see live data, etc.
The pa soft adapter isn't like an inpa cable that seems like a simple USB to obd. Either way, you don't need a serial converter or Bluetooth for either program. It'll work fine on your old laptop
Old 08-22-2018, 01:18 AM   #59
markm1162

Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
Obdfusion is a more "run of the mill" generic obd2 scanner. Inpa and pa soft are more BMW specific. They read all the modules rather than just the DME (ecu) like obdfusion. They allow you to code things and see live data, etc.
The pa soft adapter isn't like an inpa cable that seems like a simple USB to obd. Either way, you don't need a serial converter or Bluetooth for either program. It'll work fine on your old laptop
You dont happen to have the links do you? I'll order them tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:20 AM   #60
armenh7

Quote:
You dont happen to have the links do you? I'll order them tomorrow.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/US-Ship-BMW-I...sAAOSwzrNa4-Bo
https://m.ebay.com/itm/V1-4-Diagnost...YAAOSw5W5a8UJG

Tags
antifreeze, hot, over heat, radiator, thermostat leak