116th Congress... - Page 45 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:15 PM   #881
Hobohunter

My Ride: Mustang GT
Year: 2016
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
Wyoming is just an example, plenty more states with unfair advantages that DO sway the elections when combined. We both know the politics in the US would be more representative if we got rid of the EC.

No.
I don't see any compelling reason why politics would be any more representative without the EC. All we'd have is a President who represents the largest cities in the country, and nothing else. That's hardly representative of the country, and that's already accomplished within the House of Representatives.
Hobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #882
Black///M

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
What about land size? California is around 164,000 sq. miles and Wyoming is around 98,000 sq. miles. California is just of twice as much, but has 18X the number of votes...
Black///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #883
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Sore loser arguments against the EC, yawn.

There would be no USA without it, period.
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #884
Black///M

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
The signs of a real wise man is conceding when someone else is smarter than you. The founding fathers were truly amazing in wisdom and foresight, all without an Ivy college degree.
Black///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #885
Act of God

Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Democrats may not like what happens if they actually got rid of the EC. States like NY, IL and CA have massive right-leaning populations that have been beaten into apathy due to the EC. If their vote actually counted they might turn out and the democrats may not like the results.

That being said, we're a republic and every state should have a say. The current system is genius.
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart
Old 08-23-2019, 08:21 PM   #886
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Sore loser arguments against the EC, yawn.

There would be no USA without it, period.

I think that’s what they want.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #887
Stankia

My Ride: Germans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobohunter View Post
I don't see any compelling reason why politics would be any more representative without the EC. All we'd have is a President who represents the largest cities in the country, and nothing else. That's hardly representative of the country, and that's already accomplished within the House of Representatives.
Largest cities, by that you mean largest population numbers, largest tax payers, largest resource providers, largest job providers, largest EVERYTHING. Largest set of people who have to live with the rules set by someone who they didn't vote for.

If you were to find yourself stranded on an island with 9 other strangers and 3 of them proposed to eat all the resources immediately but the other 7 people proposed to ration them out, what do you think would happen?
Old 08-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #888
Act of God

Quote:
Largest cities, by that you mean largest population numbers, largest tax payers, largest resource providers, largest job providers, largest EVERYTHING. Largest set of people who have to live with the rules set by someone who they didn't vote for.

If you were to find yourself stranded on an island with 9 other strangers and 3 of them proposed to eat all the resources immediately but the other 7 people proposed to ration them out, what do you think would happen?
United States of America

Old 08-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #889
Stankia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
United States of America

Yes, this country is a collection of smaller parts, like every other country.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #890
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
Quote:

EVERYTHING?

They are not the largest producers of food.
ed17331 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #891
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed17331 View Post
EVERYTHING?

California is Largest Food Producer in the US. Just sayin'
Old 08-24-2019, 04:27 PM   #892
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post

They don’t produce it in the cities - and that’s the point.
ed17331 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #893
Hobohunter

Quote:

Yep, I definitely remember seeing all the huge farms in large cities like Seattle, definitely the largest everything. And it's extremely laughable that you think the president sets the rules.
Your "stranded on an island" analogy is equally laughable. Where is the largest call for increased taxes, free college, free healthcare, UBI, etc. coming from? The cities. That would make them the 3 proposing to eat all the resources immediately segment from your analogy..
Old 08-24-2019, 06:34 PM   #894
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed17331 View Post
EVERYTHING?

or energy
Old 08-24-2019, 09:21 PM   #895
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:

By Cali is second only to Nebraska in acres under irrigation.
https://www.agweb.com/article/which-...NAA-ben-potter

Ever heard of the Central Valley?
Old 08-25-2019, 05:30 PM   #896
Stankia

Quote:
Yep, I definitely remember seeing all the huge farms in large cities like Seattle, definitely the largest everything. And it's extremely laughable that you think the president sets the rules.
Your "stranded on an island" analogy is equally laughable. Where is the largest call for increased taxes, free college, free healthcare, UBI, etc. coming from? The cities. That would make them the 3 proposing to eat all the resources immediately segment from your analogy..
You are missing the point. Consuming all the resources isn't the point, the point is that the majority decides what goes. It literally does't matter what the issue is as long as the majority agrees on it and has to live with the consequences. We could change our entire country to some super strict sharia law way of living but it wouldn't happen because the majority wouldn't agree on it. That's the beauty of Democracy.

I live in Chicago, there are other 3 million people living here and almost no one agrees with the current administration's policies. We are paying the majority of taxes, creating the most resources and yet have almost no say in how this country should be run. Quite frankly I'm amazed the white house wasn't burned down yet. The current system is ridiculous and unsustainable.

Last edited by Stankia; 08-25-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Stankia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #897
Act of God

You live in Chicago now? You just said you were ex pat
Old 08-25-2019, 06:45 PM   #898
Hobohunter

Quote:
You are missing the point. Consuming all the resources isn't the point, the point is that the majority decides what goes. It literally does't matter what the issue is as long as the majority agrees on it and has to live with the consequences. We could change our entire country to some super strict sharia law way of living but it wouldn't happen because the majority wouldn't agree on it. That's the beauty of Democracy.

I live in Chicago, there are other 3 million people living here and almost no one agrees with the current administration's policies. We are paying the majority of taxes, creating the most resources and yet have almost no say in how this country should be run. Quite frankly I'm amazed the white house wasn't burned down yet. The current system is ridiculous and unsustainable.
You seem to be misunderstanding how our country works.

And I seriously doubt Chicago is creating the most resources. I'm sure you're referring to Illinois alone here. But what Chicago creates comes from resources outside of Chicago. Unless Chicago has a bunch of steel mines, tons of farms, a bunch of power plants, etc, all of this within city limits. Which they don't.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:31 PM   #899
Act of God

Quote:
You seem to be misunderstanding how our country works.

And I seriously doubt Chicago is creating the most resources. I'm sure you're referring to Illinois alone here. But what Chicago creates comes from resources outside of Chicago. Unless Chicago has a bunch of steel mines, tons of farms, a bunch of power plants, etc, all of this within city limits. Which they don't.
In his defense they produce a ton of horrible accents, corrupt politicians, gangsters and fake pizza

Last edited by Act of God; 08-25-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:43 PM   #900
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Take a trip out to Merced and Bakersfield to see if the political climate is any different than SF or LA. Report back on what you find.

Quote:

No, the majority doesn't decide. The whole point of the US system of govt is to strike a balance between letting the majority rule and protecting individuals from the power of the majority. And it's a horrible system, until you consider all the alternatives and realize that despite all it's flaws, it's the best ever conceived and implemented.

The US is founded on democratic principles, but it's not a Democracy and only ignorant people insist that it is or should be. You would not want to live in an unrestricted Democracy because once the majority became convinced of something, they could do any damn thing they want to you or anyone else and it would be legal.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote