New Census Data Show Americans Are Migrating from Tax-Punishing States - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
New Census Data Show Americans Are Migrating from Tax-Punishing States

AoG, why haven't you moved yet?

Quote:
The Census Bureau released new data that show Americans are continuing to move from high-tax to low-tax states.

The Census Bureau has released new data on state population growth between July 2017 and July 2018. Domestic migration between the states is one portion of annual population change. The Census data show that Americans are continuing to move from high-tax to low-tax states.

This Cato study examined interstate migration using IRS data for 2016. The new Census data confirms that people are moving from tax-punishing places such as California, Connecticut, Illinois, New York, and New Jersey to tax-friendly places such as Florida, Idaho, Nevada, Tennessee, and South Carolina.

In the chart, each blue dot is a state. The vertical axis shows the one-year Census net interstate migration figure as a percentage of 2017 state population. The horizontal axis shows state and local household taxes as a percentage of personal income in 2015. Household taxes include individual income, sales, and property taxes.

On the right, most of the high-tax states have net out-migration. The blue dot on the far right is New York with a tax burden of 13 percent and a net migration loss of nearly 1 percent (0.92) over the past year.

On the left, nearly all the net in-migration states have tax loads of less than 8.5 percent. The outlier on the bottom left is Alaska. If policymakers want their states to be people magnets, they should get their household tax burdens down to 8.5 percent of personal income or lower.

The red line is fitted from a simple regression that was highly statistically significant.
https://fee.org/articles/new-census-...ishing-states/

CATO study: https://www.cato.org/blog/new-census...low-tax-states
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	income-tax-rates.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	765505   Click image for larger version

Name:	us-state-migration.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	765507  
If you want to make a statement that we all ought to get on board to fight poverty, I'm with you. If you want to say that we ought to fight income inequality I'm not with you at all. Because I don't think that the rich guy stole from the poor guy. In fact rich people don't get rich by stealing from poor people because it turns out poor people don't have money.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
Black///M

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
And the problem is that they bring heir sh1tty political ideas to change the landscape... in essence making here just like there.
Black///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #3
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black///M View Post
And the problem is that they bring heir sh1tty political ideas to change the landscape... in essence making here just like there.
Florida has enough problems!

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
would LOVE to move!
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #5
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Love how MN is one of the highest tax states but isn't mentioned here at all.

All comes down to how a state spends that sweet sweet tax money. CA, NY, NJ, IL etc are all dumps even with all that cash money. MN consistently has a budget surplus.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #6
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Love how MN is one of the highest tax states but isn't mentioned here at all.

All comes down to how a state spends that sweet sweet tax money. CA, NY, NJ, IL etc are all dumps even with all that cash money. MN consistently has a budget surplus.
Does the state give refunds? How are the surpluses used?
If you want to make a statement that we all ought to get on board to fight poverty, I'm with you. If you want to say that we ought to fight income inequality I'm not with you at all. Because I don't think that the rich guy stole from the poor guy. In fact rich people don't get rich by stealing from poor people because it turns out poor people don't have money.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #7
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Does the state give refunds? How are the surpluses used?
Infrastructure and education largely and I'm ok with that. There is talk about reducing the tax rate as well.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #8
Black///M

That is very logical and reasonable. NYC just guaranteed free medical to illegal aliens to the tune of a minimum 100 million a year.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #9
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
That is very logical and reasonable. NYC just guaranteed free medical to illegal aliens to the tune of a minimum 100 million a year.
Fair enough: if the state doesn't offer enough free benefits, how will it attract the best-quality illegal aliens?
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:11 PM   #10
Black///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Fair enough: if the state doesn't offer enough free benefits, how will it attract the best-quality illegal aliens?
With ice cream?
Old 01-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #11
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
With ice cream?
That would definitely tempt me.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:58 PM   #12
Stankia

My Ride: Germans
Good, get the poors who can't make it out of here.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:10 PM   #13
bimmerfan08

You can't make this up. And people wonder why I'm so against expansion of government.

California Politicians Hiked Gas Tax, Now Demand Investigation Into State's $4 Per Gallon Gas Prices