Woodworking Noob - Page 12 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #221
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Stuff looks amazing Sam.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #222
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Stuff looks amazing Sam.
+1, nice work bud, those pieces look stellar!
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #223
trizzuth

My Ride: Best M5 ever made
That coffee table is legit Sam! Do you just glue those pieces together using tongue and groove? or are they all affixed to a sub-board underneath? Looks amazing..

2003 BMW E39 M5 - Current!
2001 BMW 330i - Totaled at 236K :(
1996 Mitsubishi Galant S - gone at 121K
1993 Volvo 850 GLT - gone at 89K
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K

trizzuth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #224
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
Hey guys I'm wanting to pick up a router to cut out corbels ends for a pergola I'm building soon. I thinking of getting this DeWalt DW618 combo, any opinions on it or recommendation of another product?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #225
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
That should do the trick nicely. Get more than one of the bits you will need for your project. Also, once the project is done, a router table will make that thing so much more useful.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #226
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastBurrito View Post
Hey guys I'm wanting to pick up a router to cut out corbels ends for a pergola I'm building soon. I thinking of getting this DeWalt DW618 combo, any opinions on it or recommendation of another product?

You want to cut corbels with a router? Do you have a template or something you're going to work off of or are you freehanding this?
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:31 PM   #227
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
That coffee table is legit Sam! Do you just glue those pieces together using tongue and groove? or are they all affixed to a sub-board underneath? Looks amazing..
Thanks man! The matching end table is going through final finishing now so that'll be done soon too.

They aren't glued together, only to the plywood board underneath. If I glued them together, the whole thing would split apart with seasonal wood movement with the grain all going in different directions. The plywood board underneath stabilizes the whole thing and prevents any of those issues.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #228
BreakfastBurrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
You want to cut corbels with a router? Do you have a template or something you're going to work off of or are you freehanding this?
I'll be making a template freehand for a guide to use with the router.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #229
SamDoe1

Quote:
I'll be making a template freehand for a guide to use with the router.

Nice. Be really careful with depth of cut on those router passes and direction of travel.

That DeWalt is a decent router but, IMO, the Bosch is a better one at a similar price point. If you don't have much use for this thing other than heavy duty routing, I'd recommend the Triton router. It's a beast at hogging out material with lots of power but it's big and clunky for detail work if you use it free hand. In a router table, the Triton is wonderful.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #230
BreakfastBurrito

Quote:
Nice. Be really careful with depth of cut on those router passes and direction of travel.

That DeWalt is a decent router but, IMO, the Bosch is a better one at a similar price point. If you don't have much use for this thing other than heavy duty routing, I'd recommend the Triton router. It's a beast at hogging out material with lots of power but it's big and clunky for detail work if you use it free hand. In a router table, the Triton is wonderful.
Basically using this as an excuse to buy a router for future wood working products. I don't think I'll be doing anything as heavy anymore. We bought our house sort of recently and it's a hobby I now have the space for.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:40 PM   #231
BreakfastBurrito

So I've been reading up a lot and watching videos (don't have a lot confidence in those YouTube reviews though)... I shifted towards the Bosch and Milwaukee, with preference to the MRC23evsk and Mil 5616-24

Bosch 1617 kit
Bosch MRC23
Mil 5616-24

Last edited by BreakfastBurrito; 08-17-2019 at 08:42 PM.
BreakfastBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #232
SamDoe1

Quote:
So I've been reading up a lot and watching videos (don't have a lot confidence in those YouTube reviews though)... I shifted towards the Bosch and Milwaukee, with preference to the MRC23evsk and Mil 5616-24

Bosch 1617 kit
Bosch MRC23
Mil 5616-24

My recommendation is the 1617.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #233
trizzuth

My Ride: Best M5 ever made
Quote:
Thanks man! The matching end table is going through final finishing now so that'll be done soon too.

They aren't glued together, only to the plywood board underneath. If I glued them together, the whole thing would split apart with seasonal wood movement with the grain all going in different directions. The plywood board underneath stabilizes the whole thing and prevents any of those issues.
Interesting.. so what prevents you from getting seasonal gaps between the squares if they are only glued down and not affixed? Damn I have a support beam in my living room that I covered with weathered wood tongue and groove, but on the bottom, I had to shave off the tongue and cut them down to make them fit. I get fluctuations all the time with these boards gapping and shifting a little so they are not flush and all of them are nailed in with a nail gun. I contemplated using construction adhesive as well as nailing them in when I did it, but opted against the adhesive.

2003 BMW E39 M5 - Current!
2001 BMW 330i - Totaled at 236K :(
1996 Mitsubishi Galant S - gone at 121K
1993 Volvo 850 GLT - gone at 89K
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K

trizzuth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #234
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Interesting.. so what prevents you from getting seasonal gaps between the squares if they are only glued down and not affixed? Damn I have a support beam in my living room that I covered with weathered wood tongue and groove, but on the bottom, I had to shave off the tongue and cut them down to make them fit. I get fluctuations all the time with these boards gapping and shifting a little so they are not flush and all of them are nailed in with a nail gun. I contemplated using construction adhesive as well as nailing them in when I did it, but opted against the adhesive.
The substrate is plywood which is incredibly stable due to the alternating grain directions. The glue used to bond them down (titebond 3) is actually stronger than the wood itself and will definitely hold the thing in place. The reason you're seeing gaps in what you have is because you only used nails. Nails will allow for movement and expansion, glue will not which is both a good and bad thing depending on how you're looking at it.