Woodworking Noob - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #61
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
Gas fireplaces just don't generate the heat you get from a nice bed of coals.
This, a properly made fire puts off a ton of heat.

Back on topic, I reinforced the legs on my super fancy custom made coffee table this weekend with a few extra screws.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #62
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
What are you guys poor, get a proper wood shed, I need a bigger one, also I’m almost out of wood.
No. I'm lower middle class.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #63
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Quote:
This, a properly made fire puts off a ton of heat.

Back on topic, I reinforced the legs on my super fancy custom made coffee table this weekend with a few extra screws.
That won't be good when you get to burning the table in your fireplace...
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #64
trizzuth

My Ride: Best M5 ever made
Quote:
Fireplace, make a fire almost daily, made right and it puts off a ton of heat as a secondary heat source and I just like having one going. Need to get some doors on the fireplace next year though.

I do have a wood rack in the basement too, not homemade though.
Damn man I have like 1/10th the wood you have left, I might not make it through the end of winter! Your fireplace is tight, but my wood stove is tighter. I do agree though, my primary want is that I just love fire in the house, outside the house fire everywhere all the time. Obviously it's a bonus that I can have a nice fire and then not turn on my heat all day long due to the open layout in my living room/staircase, the heat really spreads out nicely. Installed a ceiling fan last summer and it was one of the best things ever. Now I can have the stove on for a half hour to an hour or so, the heat rises to the ceiling, and turning on my fan on speed 1 or 2 pushes all that heat down into the room, and below my ceiling beam which then goes right upstairs to the bedrooms.

Yeah it's a **** ton of work, but it keeps me busy and I like that kinda repetitive busy work, still totally worth it.

2003 BMW E39 M5 - Current!
2001 BMW 330i - Totaled at 236K :(
1996 Mitsubishi Galant S - gone at 121K
1993 Volvo 850 GLT - gone at 89K
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K

trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:26 AM   #65
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Damn man I have like 1/10th the wood you have left, I might not make it through the end of winter! Your fireplace is tight, but my wood stove is tighter. I do agree though, my primary want is that I just love fire in the house, outside the house fire everywhere all the time. Obviously it's a bonus that I can have a nice fire and then not turn on my heat all day long due to the open layout in my living room/staircase, the heat really spreads out nicely. Installed a ceiling fan last summer and it was one of the best things ever. Now I can have the stove on for a half hour to an hour or so, the heat rises to the ceiling, and turning on my fan on speed 1 or 2 pushes all that heat down into the room, and below my ceiling beam which then goes right upstairs to the bedrooms.

Yeah it's a **** ton of work, but it keeps me busy and I like that kinda repetitive busy work, still totally worth it.
You should move to California. Can have this for free!
Old 01-29-2019, 10:38 AM   #66
bgsmith

Quote:

Would love a wood burning stove but wouldn’t be possible with our son.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:51 AM   #67
trizzuth

Quote:
Would love a wood burning stove but wouldn’t be possible with our son.
Sure it would!

I raised 2 kids with a giant wood stove right smack dab in the middle of my living room! When we bought the house there was a brick hearth built beneath the wood stove that was about 2 bricks high, and extremely wide and jutted out from the wall really far. Seemed like someone really overbuilt the hearth for this wood stove, and now it was taking up half my living room. I put one of those plastic gate things around the front of it for awhile but eventually just took it off. The kids knew it was hot, and when it was running, I was in that room watching TV, etc and never had any issues. Fast forward a few years and I removed that old hearth and wood stove and replaced it with a bomb ass danish wood stove called a Rais Mino II, then used a thin steel plate for fire protection under the stove, left the brick rear wall in place so it had that heat protectant. New stove glass gets flipping HOT as fawk when stove is rolling, would def cause a major burn if anything touched it, still no problems with the kids and that stove ever. Now they are 10 and 12!

Wood stove was like 4 grand cause it had to come across the atlantic, and it's designed to do a secondary burn on the smoke without a catalyst, just air passages, but man was it worth it, to this day, best house purchase I have ever made outside of maybe replacement windows. Stove pretty much already paid for itself.

Attached pic of old hideous stove and hearth and new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4051.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	767089   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9201.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	767091  

Last edited by trizzuth; 01-29-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #68
bgsmith

Quote:
Sure it would!

I raised 2 kids with a giant wood stove right smack dab in the middle of my living room! When we bought the house there was a brick hearth built beneath the wood stove that was about 2 bricks high, and extremely wide and jutted out from the wall really far. Seemed like someone really overbuilt the hearth for this wood stove, and now it was taking up half my living room. I put one of those plastic gate things around the front of it for awhile but eventually just took it off. The kids knew it was hot, and when it was running, I was in that room watching TV, etc and never had any issues. Fast forward a few years and I removed that old hearth and wood stove and replaced it with a bomb ass danish wood stove called a Rais Mino II, then used a thin steel plate for fire protection under the stove, left the brick rear wall in place so it had that heat protectant. New stove glass gets flipping HOT as fawk when stove is rolling, would def cause a major burn if anything touched it, still no problems with the kids and that stove ever. Now they are 10 and 12!

Wood stove was like 4 grand cause it had to come across the atlantic, and it's designed to do a secondary burn on the smoke without a catalyst, just air passages, but man was it worth it, to this day, best house purchase I have ever made outside of maybe replacement windows. Stove pretty much already paid for itself.

Attached pic of old hideous stove and hearth and new one.
Our son is a 115 lbs, 9 year old, non verbal, autistic monster, no easy way to keep him away from a wood stove.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #69
trizzuth

Quote:
Our son is a 115 lbs, 9 year old, non verbal, autistic monster, no easy way to keep him away from a wood stove.
Damn then, I stand corrected. Def don't want any wood stoves in the living room...

Good few fire days coming up..

Old 01-29-2019, 11:08 AM   #70
bgsmith

Quote:
Damn then, I stand corrected. Def don't want any wood stoves in the living room...

Good few fire days coming up..
Yup, wish I wasn't out of 100% seasoned wood, will probably order 3 cords of unseasoned this April and split it down to smaller pieces over the summer, really wish we had a tree that needed to come down in the yard, I love splitting wood, its very therapeutic.

Our son loves warming himself by the fire and our pellet stove, he's never left alone near either of them although the pellet stove does not get nearly as hot as a true wood burning stove, and he knows not to get too close to the fireplace, but even accidentally touching or bumping into a true wood burning stove would be bad.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:35 AM   #71
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: fast

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #72
trizzuth

Woodworking Noob

Goddamned, you burning right now Sam? Lol

Fn pos phone app won’t let me load my fn pic of the entire state of minnesnowta showing -20 degrees!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by trizzuth; 01-29-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #73
SamDoe1

Quote:
Goddamned, you burning right now Sam? Lol

Fn pos phone app won’t let me load my fn pic of the entire state of minnesnowta showing -20 degrees!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Burning what? I'm burning natural gas at record rates lol.

Yes it's cold AF here, air temp this morning was -32F with windchill of -57F. I've never seen the dog do his business outside so fast.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #74
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post

Yes it's cold AF here, air temp this morning was -32F with windchill of -57F. I've never seen the dog do his business outside so fast.
I'm surprised the dog can survive even that long outside. Seriously, I have no concept for how -32/-57 feels, other than brutally painful I am sure.

Times like these make me wonder why, since the invention of air conditioning, anyone would chose to live up there?
Old 01-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #75
trizzuth

Quote:

Can you make a movie for us here in OT of you tossing some water in the air and having it instantly freeze? Don't be a pu$$y, you owe it to OT. We will settle for a quick flick of your dog pissing and the pee instantly freezing as it comes out of his dong.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #76
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
I'm surprised the dog can survive even that long outside. Seriously, I have no concept for how -32/-57 feels, other than brutally painful I am sure.

Times like these make me wonder why, since the invention of air conditioning, anyone would chose to live up there?
Dog is fine for a while, he's covered in fur all over but he certainly doesn't like it lol.

This cold is painful for any amount of time. Going outside will literally take your breath away and cause you to cough/not breathe properly if you breathe through your mouth. The wind is painful almost immediately and any exposed skin will feel like it's on fire in a matter of seconds.

As far as why do I live here? The cost of living is low, the crime rate is low, the unemployment is low, homelessness is low, poverty is low, the wages are high, and overall people are extremely nice. The cold weather keeps many of the idiots out, the only people left are the ones that want to live here. To be fair, this level of cold is incredibly rare. It's often that we'll have days where the high is like -2F for a handful of days a year or something but very rarely down to -30F. While I don't enjoy cold, I certainly don't mind it within reason.
This winter, other than this week, has been really mild and we've only dipped into the above zero teens a few times, other than that it has been in the +20's/+30's the whole time. I'd only move to a select few places in the country and CA is definitely not one of them. Neither is the east coast or FL.

Quote:
Can you make a movie for us here in OT of you tossing some water in the air and having it instantly freeze? Don't be a pu$$y, you owe it to OT. We will settle for a quick flick of your dog pissing and the pee instantly freezing as it comes out of his dong.
Negative, I'm not going outside lol.

This level of cold isn't just "sorta chilly", it's pretty freaking dangerous. Any exposed skin can go to frostbite in like 3 minutes. My face was painful during my walk from work to my car yesterday and that wasn't even as cold as it is now.

In the spirit of keeping this thread going and on topic though, my table legs that I custom ordered finally arrived to finish up my coffee table build from fall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190130_100946.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	767157  
Old 01-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #77
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Im onto my second little project. I designed a birdhouse with an A-frame style roof. When it came time to apply the glue I thought my basic clamps along with my corner clamp were going to be sufficient for keeping the pieces together. I discovered it was near impossible to get good pressure along the entire span of the join I was trying to make. I discovered a tip online that should help me get the proper pressure for the glue to set.

I'm just going to cut the brown jig pieces out of a scrap board I have and it should solve my problem.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:11 AM   #78
SamDoe1

Oh! I see what you mean. That looks pretty good but a bit complex. You NEED to make sure that everything is squared up otherwise your joint will be equally out of square. Because there are two pieces, that's harder to do. I use something like this for orphaned joints like that, as it's FAR easier to ensure that the one piece is square, and use a strap clamp for closed joints like a box or frame. That said, you need to reinforce that joint otherwise it'll fall apart. Mitered joints without screws, dowels, biscuits, splines, whatever are rather weak.

FWIW, if you need to apply a ton of pressure to close your joint, you did a sh1tty job of cutting.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 01-30-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #79
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
Im onto my second little project. I designed a birdhouse with an A-frame style roof. When it came time to apply the glue I thought my basic clamps along with my corner clamp were going to be sufficient for keeping the pieces together. I discovered it was near impossible to get good pressure along the entire span of the join I was trying to make. I discovered a tip online that should help me get the proper pressure for the glue to set.

I'm just going to cut the brown jig pieces out of a scrap board I have and it should solve my problem.

Interesting, and appears to be a clever approach. I wonder though, will you get enough pressure from the left and from the right of your diagram, i.e., the directions perpendicular to your A-frame joint? Let us know how this works.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #80
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Mitered joints without screws, dowels, biscuits, splines, whatever are rather weak.

FWIW, if you need to apply a ton of pressure to close your joint, you did a sh1tty job of cutting.

That's pretty clever, too! But, as you can see, my pieces come together at a 45deg angle and not a 90. Wondering if that kind of jig will apply equal pressure from both sides. I haven't tried biscuits yet, so I will be adding some finishing nails to keep things together once the glue sets.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.

Last edited by joeski3d; 01-30-2019 at 11:18 AM.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote