In case you haven't heard, Alabama has essentially banned abortions. - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #21
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
That's not what she meant and I think you know that.
What, exactly, does she mean, then? Is there an argument there or not?
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #22
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
That's not what she meant and I think you know that.
Her arguments are stupid and facebook-ish. The answer is that the SCOTUS already said first trimester and that is precedent. The second answer is that there are too many fcvking people and the last thing we need are more dependents.

You lose this argument on science, win on logistics.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #23
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
What, exactly, does she mean, then? Is there an argument there or not?
Pretty sure she meant that a baby can breath and "live" on its own (yes I know infants can't survive on their own) where as a fetus cannot survive outside the human body.

I don't necessarily agree with her, she just raised some points that applied to the conversation going on in here.

This is one of those topics that will be debated forever, I am curious to see where this whole Alabama thing goes as mentioned earlier this seems like a serious play to get the topic in front of the supreme court again.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #24
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Her arguments are stupid and facebook-ish. The answer is that the SCOTUS already said first trimester and that is precedent. The second answer is that there are too many fcvking people and the last thing we need are more dependents.

You lose this argument on science, win on logistics.
Quote:
Pretty sure she meant that a baby can breath and "live" on its own (yes I know infants can't survive on their own) where as a fetus cannot survive outside the human body.

I don't necessarily agree with her, she just raised some points that applied to the conversation going on in here.

This is one of those topics that will be debated forever, I am curious to see where this whole Alabama thing goes as mentioned earlier this seems like a serious play to get the topic in front of the supreme court again.
See my responses to Dave, yes the supreme court has ruled on this, wouldn't you agree that this situation in Alabama is the first step in getting this in front of the SCOTUS again?
Old 05-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #25
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
I'm not pro life, but the position is certainly not exclusively a religious belief. Of all the pro life people i know only about half are religious folk. To be fair, if you're looking at it scientifically the argument falls to the pro life camp. Pretty sure once the organism has its own unique DNA it's objectively a new life, scientifically.

I'm in the Thanos camp.
No. There is no "scientifically" iron clad definition of "a new life" in the context we're discussing.

Quote:
A newborn can't survive on its own
Quote:
1) Babies can't sustain their own lives for many years after being born.
2) How do we know the point at which fetuses begin to have conscious thought?
3) Failing to see the difference between pulling the plug on a person in a vegetative state and aborting a fetus just means you don't think very hard.
4) Oh, let's fall back on the "don't inconvenience me therefore barbarian" argument.
Define "sustain".

There's a pretty clear difference between an organism that can ingest, digest, metabolize, and excrete independently as long as food/water are provided, vs an organism that is entirely dependent on the mother's digestive tract and circulatory system to perform those functions.

There's a pretty clear difference between a baby that can respirate on it's own vs a baby that requires it's mother's cardiovascular system to provide/evacuate O2/CO2.
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Xcelratr; 05-15-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #26
VaderDave
Invictus

Her arguments sound like something I would hear in a junior-high-school debate assignment. There are plenty of practical reasons to choose (as a society) to make abortion legal and available. But none of those reasons rise to the level of a "right," just like healthcare isn't a "right" in the way some people would like to (re)define it.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #27
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
No. There is no "scientifically" iron clad definition of "a new life" in the context we're discussing.

Define "sustain".

There's a pretty clear difference between an organism that can ingest, digest, metabolize, and excrete independently as long as food/water are provided, vs an organism that is entirely dependent on the mother's digestive tract and circulatory system to perform those functions.

There's a pretty clear difference between a baby that can respirate on it's own vs a baby that requires it's mother's cardiovascular system to provide/evacuate O2/CO2.
I agree. But so what? All you're doing is drawing the arbitrary line a little further up the scale.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #28
Xcelratr

Quote:
Her arguments sound like something I would hear in a junior-high-school debate assignment. There are plenty of practical reasons to choose (as a society) to make abortion legal and available. But none of those reasons rise to the level of a "right," just like healthcare isn't a "right" in the way some people would like to (re)define it.
IF (note the size) a fetus isn't a human being, then choosing what medical procedures she elects to have performed on her own body is absolutely an individual's right.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #29
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
IF (note the size) a fetus isn't a human being, then choosing what medical procedures she elects to have performed on her own body is absolutely an individual's right.
But defining "human being" is going to be arbitrary, by definition, since we didn't get a bright-line rulebook on such things. Trying to ramrod through a universal definition based on litigation/court rulings is a failing strategy (although, admittedly, it's probably the only one that we've got).
Old 05-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #30
Xcelratr

That kinda heads back toward my original point. What if we could come to a consensus (I think total agreement is unrealistic) about certain biologic parameters that have to be met in order to anoint a developing organism as a full fledged (har har) human being with all the commensurate legal protections that status confers?

Could we then say the line is less arbitrary than if we just spout party talking points at each other, or stick to our favorite end of the "every sperm is sacred-vs-I brought 'em into this world I can take 'em out" spectrum?
Old 05-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #31
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
That kinda heads back toward my original point. What if we could come to a consensus (I think total agreement is unrealistic) about certain biologic parameters that have to be met in order to anoint a developing organism as a full fledged (har har) human being with all the commensurate legal protections that status confers?
That would be ideal. But I'd have to copy your rhetorical device of making that "if" more like "if."

Quote:
Could we then say the line is less arbitrary than if we just spout party talking points at each other, or stick to our favorite end of the "every sperm is sacred-vs-I brought 'em into this world I can take 'em out" spectrum?
Not really less arbitrary (since it's just based on our subjective assessments being aligned somewhat) but certainly more defensible(?).
Old 05-15-2019, 04:40 PM   #32
Act of God

Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Sure there is, a new living, growing and developing organism is formed with it's own unique DNA. That's a new life, period.

I'm saying this as someone 100% pro choice and appalled at the idea of abortion being outlawed. I'm not going to be dishonest, though.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #33
VaderDave
Invictus

I really don't see (practically speaking) how the country can realistically prohibit abortions in a way that actually prevents most abortions. The technology is already fully developed, the medications are readily available, and many people strongly believe it should be allowed. I can't help but think this is going to be like Prohibition, Pt. 2.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #34
Xcelratr

Quote:
Sure there is, a new living, growing and developing organism is formed with it's own unique DNA. That's a new life, period.

I'm saying this as someone 100% pro choice and appalled at the idea of abortion being outlawed. I'm not going to be dishonest, though.
A cancerous tumor is a new, living, growing and developing organism* with it's own unique DNA. That's a new life, period.

Within the context of what we're discussing (meaning the legal status of being an independent human being), there's exactly 0 "scientific" agreement about what constitutes a new life.

* The current definition of organism requires individualism that neither a fetus nor a cancerous tumor exhibit.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #35
Xcelratr

Quote:
I really don't see (practically speaking) how the country can realistically prohibit abortions in a way that actually prevents most abortions. The technology is already fully developed, the medications are readily available, and many people strongly believe it should be allowed. I can't help but think this is going to be like Prohibition, Pt. 2.
I wonder who the Congressional abortion doctor will be.

Besides, women have known for years they can have a DIY abortion early on by just gulping down a whole bunch of their birth control pills all at once. No clinic visit needed.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #36
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Lots of good faith arguments on both sides. Which is why I laugh when losers resort to impugning motives - anti-abortion means you hate women and/or you want to control women. If that's what you're posting, you really should not have been promoted beyond middle school.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #37
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Obviously a Hail Mary pass to the SCOTUS. Will it succeed? I doubt it, especially given the pretty extreme and harsh nature of the AL law. Roberts, for one, seems concerned about established precedent to some degree, so upholding the AL law, effectively overturning RvW might be a bridge too far for him.

There's obviously no singular clear cut dilineation regarding "human life" (insemination, conception, heartbeat, viability, birth).

However, RvW seems to have served well enough for enough people that it's likely the least imperfect compromise we're likely to come to and a significant majority of Americans are OK with it standing.

In a practical sense, as others have noted, the cat's already out of the bag in terms of medicine, abortion drugs are here and readily available.

As a side note, this will only further inflame the already formidable womens' anti-Trump/GOP vote, so this is a bit puzzling to me from a strictly political perspective.

Anyways, we shall see.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:19 PM   #38
VaderDave
Invictus

The impression I get from some abortion foes is that they don't really care about politics and that if they can get abortion outlawed then any political backlash is worth it.

I was reading an article today that suggested that the main problem with the new law (as a test case to overturn RvW) is that it doesn't provide exceptions for rape/incest. Like Rhumb suggested above--it's possible that sending too draconian of a law to the USSC could end up blowing it for abortion foes--even today's more conservative court isn't just going to rubber-stamp any ol' anti-abortion law just because.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #39
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
The impression I get from some abortion foes is that they don't really care about politics and that if they can get abortion outlawed then any political backlash is worth it.

I was reading an article today that suggested that the main problem with the new law (as a test case to overturn RvW) is that it doesn't provide exceptions for rape/incest. Like Rhumb suggested above--it's possible that sending too draconian of a law to the USSC could end up blowing it for abortion foes--even today's more conservative court isn't just going to rubber-stamp any ol' anti-abortion law just because.
Agreed, and I think the lack of awareness of the very real potential for political backlash may well end up setting their cause backwards rather than notching it forwards.

A battle lost only tends to entrench a status quo and I think this swing for the bleachers on a topic (repealing RvW, that most are against) will redound badly for their cause.

Last edited by Rhumb; 05-15-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #40
Act of God

Quote:
A cancerous tumor is a new, living, growing and developing organism* with it's own unique DNA. That's a new life, period.

Within the context of what we're discussing (meaning the legal status of being an independent human being), there's exactly 0 "scientific" agreement about what constitutes a new life.

* The current definition of organism requires individualism that neither a fetus nor a cancerous tumor exhibit.
I donít think a tumor has different chromosomes than the host, a fetus does