In case you haven't heard, Alabama has essentially banned abortions. - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:56 PM   #41
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I don’t think a tumor has different chromosomes than the host, a fetus does
On a nerdy note, au contraire, cancers tend to have a very unstable and variable genome, which makes it so difficult to target. Basically cancers gaslights the immune system's ability to target and defeat it.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #42
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
On a nerdy note, au contraire, cancers tend to have a very unstable and variable genome, which makes it so difficult to target. Basically cancers gaslights the immune system's ability to target and defeat it.
If you excised a tumor and ran genetic testing on it, it wouldn't match the host? Where is the new dna coming from? It's all in house, right?

Would still be the same human dna per this

https://biology.stackexchange.com/qu...-different-dna
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart

Last edited by Act of God; 05-15-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #43
Stankia

My Ride: Germans
Another point I would like to make, which I'm sure many will disagree with; If the Government says you can't have an abortion then the child should automatically become the Government's responsibility until a certain age.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:56 PM   #44
Rhumb

Quote:
If you excised a tumor and ran genetic testing on it, it wouldn't match the host? Where is the new dna coming from? It's all in house, right?

No, in significant part, it wouldn't. Cancers usually exhibit massive mutations of a very unstable genome, that's why cancers can often so readily evolve to evade treatments. That's what makes them so insidious.

In fact, that's a big realm of research, how cancers often attain pluripotent, stem cell characteristics that allow them to slither past all manner of constraints, restraints and defenses only to run wild and eventually kill their host.

Sure, that cancer treatment will kill off the million slightly different variants, but then variant million and one will explode upon the scene and badness will ensue.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:22 AM   #45
Hobohunter

My Ride: Mustang GT
Year: 2016
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
1) Babies can't sustain their own lives for many years after being born.
2) How do we know the point at which fetuses begin to have conscious thought?
3) Failing to see the difference between pulling the plug on a person in a vegetative state and aborting a fetus just means you don't think very hard.
4) Oh, let's fall back on the "don't inconvenience me therefore barbarian" argument.
I think I'm going to have to sit down with my doctor and have us both come to the conclusion that my tax burden this year needs to be aborted. After all, it's a huge burden and hits me hard financially. Why should I be forced to carry that to term this year?

I have to agree that the inconvenience argument is lame. There's all kind of inconveniences in life.
Hobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:25 AM   #46
Hobohunter

My Ride: Mustang GT
Year: 2016
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
Another point I would like to make, which I'm sure many will disagree with; If the Government says you can't have an abortion then the child should automatically become the Government's responsibility until a certain age.
I'm not sure that's a road you'd want to go down. If it's the government's responsibility than the government would be able to require the pregnant woman to do any number of things during the term of the pregnancy. It's extremely unlikely that they'd just wait patiently on the sidelines until the birth.
Hobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:42 AM   #47
Stankia

My Ride: Germans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobohunter View Post
I'm not sure that's a road you'd want to go down. If it's the government's responsibility than the government would be able to require the pregnant woman to do any number of things during the term of the pregnancy. It's extremely unlikely that they'd just wait patiently on the sidelines until the birth.
I don't want to go down this road but it's only fair.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #48
Rhumb

FWIW

Alabama Bill at Odds With Public Consensus on Abortion

Quote:
It's not difficult to view abortion as a contentious issue. With equal percentages of Americans -- 48% each -- identifying themselves as "pro-choice" and "pro-life" in Gallup's May 2018 update on abortion, the country looks to be completely polarized on the matter.

The two sides also diverge when it comes to the legality of first-trimester abortions. Nine in 10 pro-choice Americans say abortion should generally be legal in the first three months of pregnancy, while six in 10 pro-life Americans believe it should be illegal.

Support for First-Trimester Abortions, by Self-Identified Position on Abortion
Do you think abortion should generally be legal or generally illegal during each of the following stages of pregnancy? How about in the first three months of pregnancy?
| U.S. adults | Pro-choice | Pro-life
Legal | 60 | 90 | 33
Illegal | 34 | 8 | 60
Depends/Unsure | 5 | 2 | 8
Old 05-16-2019, 07:04 PM   #49
Act of God

Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Alabama is not concerned with national polling, nor should they.
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart
Old 05-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #50
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
I don’t think a tumor has different chromosomes than the host, a fetus does
Quote:

It starts with the host DNA, but the genetic mutation is what defines it because it no longer matches the host (it also helps makes it a mofo to eliminate). Since DNA is self replicating, and cancer cells are so prone to genetic mutation, individual cancer cells within the same tumor can rapidly create a whole basket of unique genetic profiles within a single tumor.

From your link:

Quote:
A) It absolutely is very common for extensive genetic heterogeneity to exist in tumours, including between individual cells.
"Homogeneity" would indicate the cells have the same genetic profile.

Quote:
That dog won't hunt. You could try to say the same thing about fathers. If the father wants an abortion but the mother wants to deliver and keep the baby, maybe the father should be absolved of responsibility. But it don't work dat way.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:08 PM   #51
Xcelratr

Quote:
Alabama is not concerned with national polling, nor should they.
This.

Alabama politicians are trying to succeed in Alabama.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #52
Act of God

My facebook feed has been NPC's blithering about white men passing this law. So

Old 05-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #53
Xcelratr

Quote:
My facebook feed has been NPC's blithering about white men passing this law. So

They’re conservative women, therefore subservient to men, therefore their husbands are actually behind it.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #54
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
How about we let the potential parents decide since there is no general agreement and never will be.

At what stage do they get to decide?

Also as it stands now, only the woman has any say. If she is the sole arbiter, why should the man be forced to pay child support absent a preexisting contract to produce children?
Old 05-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #55
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
They’re conservative women, therefore subservient to men, therefore their husbands are actually behind it.
Well, of course. And yes, my wife allowed me to post this comment.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #56
Act of God

Old 05-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #57
Rhumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
This.

Alabama politicians are trying to succeed in Alabama.
Fair enough and true enough, but Alabama, its citizens and politician are also in America and thus subject to the Constitution. Thus their success in AL would be contingent upon their success in complying with the Constitution, i.e., RvW.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #58
Xcelratr

Quote:
Old 05-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #59
evolved

My Ride: 2015 Chevy SS
Ugh. Missouri following the likes of Alabama

Present
2015 Chevrolet SS
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

ss
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #60
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Ugh. Missouri following the likes of Alabama
Every state has its degree of suck, trust me. The only difference is the particulars.