Worn Struts -Suspension Upgrade Help & Suggestions Please - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2019, 06:42 AM   #1
KOJIMA666

Worn Struts -Suspension Upgrade Help & Suggestions Please

Hello everyone,

I've a 2002 325ci (150k) and the front struts are done (need to be replaced asap). Currently have H&R springs from previous owner and not sure what else tbh (I assume just springs and from my experience, these are not good: knocking etc...)

With that being the case, I feel like I should overhaul the entire suspension (unless you guys think there is a better alternative)

-I want to be able to adjust my ride height (lower it) *It's low in the front but not sure if that is due to worn struts or H&R springs (perhaps a combo of both)
-Would like the ride to be "tight" in turns/cornering
-I don't want any "knocking"

The most pressing issue are the struts obviously and I've been looking at the following kits for replacement/upgrade. However, as I'm new to this, I don't know if these kits come with or replace struts:
1. KW VARIANT 1 COIL-OVER
2. BC Racing BR Series Coilover Suspension Kit
3. Bilstein PSS10 Coil Over Suspension

What do you guys think about the aforementioned kits? (are they decent, overkill etc...) Can you offer suggestions, insights or alternatives? ....I've also seen kits for just strut replacement (OEM kits but I don't know if that's a good idea with these H&R springs).
KOJIMA666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
BIC_BAWS

My Ride: '02 330ci
All of those are coilovers and will replace your struts. The Bilstein and KW V1 are height adjustable, but not dampening adjustable. Dampening adjustments will help you adjust how stiff it is, in turn, how much it will bounce. The BC Racing provides dampening adjustments as well as height, but it may not be the most comfortable.

The reason why your front is so low is likely a combination of shot struts and the h&r springs. The reason why your struts are shot is likely simply wear and tear. That said, lowering springs on a stock strut set up will accelerate the wear.

If you're not looking to adjust your suspension (height) or the dampening, I would recommend using short-body aftermarket shocks/struts that are designed to work with lowering springs. Some examples are the Bilsiten B6 HD, Bilstein B8 Sport (I have these with h&r race), Koni Yellow, Koni FRD (cheap option but I haven't heard great things about longevity).

Hope this helps

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #3
KOJIMA666

@BicBaws: Thank you very much for your insightful and detailed reply, I greatly appreciate the clarity you've provided.

I've another question: in my area, unfortunately there are no local Indy or specialty shops for bmw (it's crazy) only the dealership... Do you think the dealership would install aftermarket suspension and if not, is there a safe "chain" shop (mainstream) that I can take it to?
KOJIMA666 is offline   Reply With Quote