My 05' ZHP Journal - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2019, 10:59 PM   #1
MarkRiep

My 05' ZHP Journal

Hello! The purpose of this thread will mainly be for myself to document the progress of my new 2005 ZHP, but I figured I may as well keep it online and potentially get help and feedback when applicable.

For some background:

This is(was) my 2002 330xi. It started as a perfect daily driver and very quickly turned into a huge headache, which I can only blame myself. An eBay turbo, lots of cutting corners, and just being way over my head in general wasn't the perfect combo I had imagined it would be. I got rid of it just over two years ago now.

And without further ado, here's the new E46!

It's a 2005 black sapphire metallic 6spd ZHP with just a hair over 150,000KMs (93,000mi). The car is fully loaded (except for nav) and has driven excellent since picking it up (two weeks ago). The goal with this car is to keep it mainly stock with a focus on preventative maintenance and some minor mods here and there.

Since picking up the car I've done the following preventative maintenance:
-Cooling system (expansion tank, water pump, thermostat, upper rad hose)
-Air filter
-Valve cover gasket
-Vanos Seals and anti rattle rings
-Spark plugs
-Accessory belt (accidentally ordered two of these instead of a serpentine belt)
-GAS Disa rebuild

The to-do list as of right now includes:
-Changing transmission, power steering, and differential fluids
-Serpentine belt
-Subframe reinforcement (thinking BMW Foam as I don't believe I have cracks, will need to take a better look before hand)
-Small rust repair on both rear fenders
-Front control arm bushings (most bushings in general really, but I'm not in a huge rush)

As far as mods go I've:
-Ordered new black fender side blinkers
-Ordered a new steering wheel as the alcantara wheel is very worn (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-MSport-M...0AAOSwdHBaZkLP)
-Installed front and rear strut/shock tower reinforcement bars (Found these on kijiji)

I've also just picked up a set of 18x8.5 et 43 AC Schnitzer type III's, but I'm going to try and refinish them as they are pretty beat up.

Further down the road I'd love to swap in a 3.46 or 3.38 rear diff, but I'm waiting for one to pop up on it's own because I'm not desperate enough to spend a few hours at a scrap yard just yet.

Off the top of my head I think I've covered it all. Please tell me if I missed any obvious maintenance items that should be addressed sooner than later!

Last edited by MarkRiep; 07-15-2019 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Grammar
MarkRiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:50 AM   #2
dddutch

My Ride: Looking for a wagon
Nice pick up. Love the Schnitzers!
dddutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:43 PM   #3
MarkRiep

Spent the last week rebuilding the lip on the ACS's. Spent about 10 hours sanding and filling; I understand why people take wheels in to get them fixed now. Should find time to paint them this week. Before and Afters:

I also picked up a UUC Evo3 short shift kit for a hell of a bargain, so that will most likely be the next project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2019, 05:05 AM   #4
Antti

My Ride: 330CI / 316 1.8i
Year: 2005
Model: 330CI M-Sport II
Transmission: Automatic
Nice coupe and good maintenance, dont skip fuel filter. It is important.
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:50 PM   #5
MarkRiep

I spent the weekend spraying the ACS's and I'm super happy with how they look. Love how they slightly change colour in different lighting. Wet sanding and buffing tomorrow evening and hopefully have them on the car by Friday.

Here's my makeshift paint booth.

After primer.

Base coat done.

Clear!

Close-up after about an hour of drying.

@Antti noted. I'll knock out the fuel filter sometime next month.

Last edited by MarkRiep; 07-28-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:19 PM   #6
LKM46

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP 6 spee
Why are you considering sub frame replacement/repair? Are you getting a clunk when turning? Very few non-M3s have issues, and usually only if they are tracked. You could just replace the bushing.

2003 330i ZHP 6 speed
ex: 2005 330ci
ex: 2007 X3 3.0
ex: 2006 330i
LKM46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:24 PM   #7
MarkRiep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKM46 View Post
Why are you considering sub frame replacement/repair? Are you getting a clunk when turning? Very few non-M3s have issues, and usually only if they are tracked. You could just replace the bushing.
It's more of a better safe than sorry thing, I've got no clunks or any signs of damage. It's nice to hear that it's blown out of proportion a bit. I'll probably still foam the rear two mounts because it's easy and I'd like to track it (casually) down the road. Just don't want to have to worry about it.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:27 PM   #8
MarkRiep

!!

Old 08-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
MarkRiep

Little update:

Got around to installing my UUC EVO 3 SSK + Garagistic DSSR and delrin bushings. Turns out UUC's shifter and Garagistic's DSSR aren't exactly plug and pay and i had to remove a bit of material to make it all fit. If I'm being honest the shorter throw of the shifter isn't as mind-blowing as I had hoped, but the lack of play on the other hand is like night and day. So much tighter.

Also the new steering wheel finally came in, a little over a month later! Absolutely head over heels for this thing.

Next week I'm taking down the rust on my rear quarters and respraying them. A little nervous but excited at the same time. Still need to do front control arm bushings and my fuel filter, but I haven't forgot just yet.

Also, just ordered the following braces from a fabricator in Arizona who goes by Dynamite Mountain Garage. Rear brace looks super similar to the Mason Engineering X-Brace at half the price. Also the only braces I've seen using 4130 chromoly tubing. Super excited to throw them in the car.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #10
lllRazorlll

My Ride: '00 328i
I love those AC Schnitzer wheels. They look great on your 5 foot ZHP.

All jokes aside, they really do look good.

lllRazorlll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #11
ZHPizza

My Ride: 2005 ZHP Coupe
Nice coupe! I'll follow along for your thoughts on the DMG braces. The floppiness of this coupe frame is driving me crazy, so I've been eyeing the offerings from Mason and now DMG. I'd do just about anything to have that solid-rear-seat-panel-sedan stiffness!
Old 08-28-2019, 02:19 PM   #12
JPMo

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRiep View Post
!!

Those wheels look fantastic on that color! Excellent choice!!

Also, I'd love to take 2 of your style 135s if you happen to want to get rid of them

2004 Titanium Silver 330i ZHP
JPMo is offline   Reply With Quote