2020 Chevrolet Corvette - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #81
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumSilber View Post
the nameplate...Corvette.....has always, and will always make me look for the nearest vomit bag. It seems the only ppl whom owns these dinosaurs are overweight beer-belly 55-70yr olds whom were envy of the 1 guy whom had one in late 70s-early80s highschool. Same goes for the nauseating over-done retro Camaros & Firebirds. Also throw in the nauseating Dodge Chargers and such. Hell, throw in the Mustang. That retro look is soooo passe'.

I give GM kudos for actually "trying" to be different with that dinosaur. But, the horrendous fit & finish, & the squeaks & rattles from the Corvette dash will always be there from those unionized workers. One has to be a complete moron to buy a GM, Chrysler, or Ford product. I'll always buy foreign.

Buy a Honda or a Mazda...and you will drive it for life. Those are the best cars on the market. ME-interested in pleasurable reliable transportation, not having a goofy looking Corvette in my driveway.

I've put my Flame Suit on.

(EDIT: just a note to add. In my GF's Chatelaine magazine, 80% of women prefer a man whom drives a foreign car, be it a BMW, Audi, MB, etc. The article goes further and even states that women are turned off by doofuses whom drive American retro sh1t, including the vomitus Corvette. Jus sayin. )

What a stupid and ignorant viewpoint.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:43 PM   #82
jarjar

My Ride: 04 BMW 330CI
You're so right, honestly there are a lot of people here who despise GM or an American manufacturer just because it was built here. They have probably never even owned an American vehicle and have had their viewpoints shaped by reading fb posts and negative reviews. It's like the guy who says," ive moved to toyota only because my last few American cars haven't been quality." Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumSilber View Post
the nameplate...Corvette.....has always, and will always make me look for the nearest vomit bag. It seems the only ppl whom owns these dinosaurs are overweight beer-belly 55-70yr olds whom were envy of the 1 guy whom had one in late 70s-early80s highschool. Same goes for the nauseating over-done retro Camaros & Firebirds. Also throw in the nauseating Dodge Chargers and such. Hell, throw in the Mustang. That retro look is soooo passe'.

I give GM kudos for actually "trying" to be different with that dinosaur. But, the horrendous fit & finish, & the squeaks & rattles from the Corvette dash will always be there from those unionized workers. One has to be a complete moron to buy a GM, Chrysler, or Ford product. I'll always buy foreign.

Buy a Honda or a Mazda...and you will drive it for life. Those are the best cars on the market. ME-interested in pleasurable reliable transportation, not having a goofy looking Corvette in my driveway.

I've put my Flame Suit on.

(EDIT: just a note to add. In my GF's Chatelaine magazine, 80% of women prefer a man whom drives a foreign car, be it a BMW, Audi, MB, etc. The article goes further and even states that women are turned off by doofuses whom drive American retro sh1t, including the vomitus Corvette. Jus sayin. )

What a stupid and ignorant viewpoint.
jarjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #83
jarjar

So you read a couple fb posts and that solidified your opinion? Did you even drive it? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarjar View Post
Haha, that guy said buy a Mazda and drive it for life. Have you seen Mazda's after 5 years? Also have you seen Honda's or Toyota's that are of the same age as the e46. Most people with those cars just drive it cause it still runs, not because it evokes some sort of passion to continuously maintain and preserves its beauty. When a major problem happens in those cars, people will just chuck it. This corvette is something that people will keep for years and will maintain, similar to our BMW's. Also GM quality is not as bad as you think. We have an Envoy XL from 03 that is still running on many original parts save for the wear and tear items, i would not hesitate to take it on a long road trip. This past weekend we put 1/2 a ton or more of gravel (in bags) in the back and it performed flawlessly. Not sure why some are biased against North American vehicles, lol.
GM makes garbage. American cars are garbage. I looked at buying a Yukon Denali (2016+) for the wife a few months ago. I'm glad I joined a Yukon owners group on FB to see what headaches people have with them. There is a lot to like, but as usual, GM is GM.

I gladly bought a Honda instead.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:49 PM   #84
jarjar

Oh man, I better cross back through the gate to the general e46 forum before I get some hate. ***x1f615;
Old 07-27-2019, 07:08 PM   #85
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
This Corvette is pretty fast...

ed17331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:30 PM   #86
wild willy

My Ride: Cars
Damn!!!
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #87
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
"American cars are garbage!"
"Buy a Honda!"

TFW a Honda Odyssey is more American-made than any GM product.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:03 AM   #88
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
"American cars are garbage!"
"Buy a Honda!"

TFW a Honda Odyssey is more American-made than any GM product.
Ford Edge is made in Canada, so that explains it's crappiness.

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #89
SLVR JDM

My Ride: E39 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarjar View Post
So you read a couple fb posts and that solidified your opinion? Did you even drive it? Lol
Of course I test drove a Yukon. In Denali trim, it wasn't awful...below that, it is questionable why anyone would spend the money for that level of build and material quality.

They make great rentals.

JMHO.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #90
WDE46

Quote:
Of course I test drove a Yukon. In Denali trim, it wasn't awful...below that, it is questionable why anyone would spend the money for that level of build and material quality.

They make great rentals.

JMHO.

I mean I've been in plenty of those trucks I wouldn't describe any as awful. The one thing American automakers actually do well is trucks and truck based SUVs. Not sure what you think is bad about a Denali. It IS a dressed up SUV which is based on a work truck so yeah it's not going to be like a Range Rover. It's also far more reliable.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:08 AM   #91
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
I mean I've been in plenty of those trucks I wouldn't describe any as awful. The one thing American automakers actually do well is trucks and truck based SUVs. Not sure what you think is bad about a Denali. It IS a dressed up SUV which is based on a work truck so yeah it's not going to be like a Range Rover. It's also far more reliable.
The high end GM SUV and Truck interiors are decent to look at but they all fall apart after a couple of years. A good friend who may have more money than sense has about $220k in his driveway across 3 vehicles, a Suburban, a Tahoe, and a jacked up full size Chevy pickup, they are beautiful vehicles when new but don't necessarily last, then again he basically replaces them every 2 years.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #92
MachRc
Picture me rollin'

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
"First production year nearly sold out"

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29191/...ing-to-gm-exec

GOod news for GM, good news for sports cars.

"My music Sicily, rich California smell. An axe killer adventure, paint a picture well. I sing a song from Sing-Sing
sipping on ginseng. Righteous wax chaperon rotating ring kings.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #93
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
The high end GM SUV and Truck interiors are decent to look at but they all fall apart after a couple of years. A good friend who may have more money than sense has about $220k in his driveway across 3 vehicles, a Suburban, a Tahoe, and a jacked up full size Chevy pickup, they are beautiful vehicles when new but don't necessarily last, then again he basically replaces them every 2 years.

IMO those interiors probably get much more abused than other types of vehicles. From what I've seen they don't fall apart but they do look dated relatively quickly. There are tons of very high mileage GM trucks available to buy.

I'm really not sure what your relative comparison even is. Nothing TRULY competes with the Tahoe/Yukon. Are you comparing them with the best aspects of a multitude of other vehicles (RR interior quality, Honda Pilot reliability, etc)? Because I've never really seen another vehicle that takes it on all fronts.

Last edited by WDE46; 07-29-2019 at 11:21 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:25 AM   #94
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
IMO those interiors probably get much more abused than other types of vehicles. From what I've seen they don't fall apart but they do look dated relatively quickly. There are tons of very high mileage GM trucks available to buy.

I'm really not sure what your relative comparison even is. Nothing TRULY competes with the Tahoe/Yukon.
I am not comparing them to anything, I am just sharing my opinion regarding high end GM models, two vehicles don't have to be direct market competitors to compare the build quality of their interiors.

I have another friend who used to get a GM SUV as a company car, had a Suburban, Tahoe, and Traverse at different times (all fully optioned out XLT models), granted these cars were used to transport people for the most part and got abused a lot, but again after 12-24 months the interiors, while nice to be in and look at, would fall apart.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #95
SPDSKTR

Okay, but what about those of us who are peasants and are looking at the E46 323i?
Old 07-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #96
SLVR JDM

My Ride: E39 M5
Barring any unforeseen circumstances with the E39 (i.e. huge repairs that make me say "enough is enough"), my next planned car purchase will probably be in 5 years, something smaller that I can DD most of the year. For me, I'm thinking it will likely be a 991 Porsche 911 C4S or Targa 4S. I need those prices to drop under $40k to warrant such a move. By that point though, I'm guessing the C8 Corvettes will be in the same price (roughly) and I just can't imagine picking a used Corvette over a 911. Brand new is a different story since you're getting a lot more bang for the buck performance-wise.

Plus, I suspect if I bought a 911 <$40k, I'm not going to lose much more value year by year, even if I drive it quite a bit. None of this is happening any time soon, so I'm just going through the theory for when the time is right.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:43 PM   #97
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Barring any unforeseen circumstances with the E39 (i.e. huge repairs that make me say "enough is enough"), my next planned car purchase will probably be in 5 years, something smaller that I can DD most of the year. For me, I'm thinking it will likely be a 991 Porsche 911 C4S or Targa 4S. I need those prices to drop under $40k to warrant such a move. By that point though, I'm guessing the C8 Corvettes will be in the same price (roughly) and I just can't imagine picking a used Corvette over a 911. Brand new is a different story since you're getting a lot more bang for the buck performance-wise.

Plus, I suspect if I bought a 911 <$40k, I'm not going to lose much more value year by year, even if I drive it quite a bit. None of this is happening any time soon, so I'm just going through the theory for when the time is right.
The Corvette makes 150 HP more than a base 911. It still sounds like a better bang-for-the-buck.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:23 PM   #98
WDE46

I'm eyeing the 996 since they're undervalued for being the first water cooled and the style isn't so great. They are a good bang for the buck with IMS bearing fix installed.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:32 PM   #99
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Quote:

In 5 years, I'd get the C8 still. Even though it's the same price, it's also a decade newer than a 991 and will have similar performance.

You are right about the depreciation though.

Quote:
I'm eyeing the 996 since they're undervalued for being the first water cooled and the style isn't so great. They are a good bang for the buck with IMS bearing fix installed.
Buy the 996 Turbo, no IMS issues.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #100
wild willy

My Ride: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
"First production year nearly sold out"

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29191/...ing-to-gm-exec

GOod news for GM, good news for sports cars.
I am going to bet that is HYPE. I bet there will be plenty at dealers.
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote