2020 Chevrolet Corvette - Page 9 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #161
Adamo99

My Ride: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I'm eyeing the 996 since they're undervalued for being the first water cooled and the style isn't so great. They are a good bang for the buck with IMS bearing fix installed.
I'd spend a bit more and get a 997- just run the VIN to make sure it's an M97 motor, and not an M96.

They're pretty damn close to the bottom of their depreciation curve, the styling of the exterior is, imo, much nicer. The interior is also much better on the 997.

They're fairly reliable, parts are everywhere. If you get one with PCCBs, you'll never have to buy rotors (assuming you don't track it), and you'll never have to scrub brake dust off your wheels again. Ever. That alone is almost worth the five figure price tag.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #162
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
2020 Chevrolet Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
I'd spend a bit more and get a 997- just run the VIN to make sure it's an M97 motor, and not an M96.

They're pretty damn close to the bottom of their depreciation curve, the styling of the exterior is, imo, much nicer. The interior is also much better on the 997.

They're fairly reliable, parts are everywhere. If you get one with PCCBs, you'll never have to buy rotors (assuming you don't track it), and you'll never have to scrub brake dust off your wheels again. Ever. That alone is almost worth the five figure price tag.
This is probably far enough in the future where a 997 would be fairly realistic. So Iíll keep an eye on them.

I would avoid carbon brakes. Those things can get chipped on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by WDE46; 08-15-2019 at 12:58 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #163
Adamo99

Quote:
I would avoid carbon brakes. Those things can get chipped on the street.
Just don't hammer the throttle when driving through gravel. Mine aren't chipped. I know a guy that has 400,000 miles on his original PCCB rotors, with no issues.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #164
WDE46

Quote:
Just don't hammer the throttle when driving through gravel. Mine aren't chipped. I know a guy that has 400,000 miles on his original PCCB rotors, with no issues.

400,000 miles on one of those cars would be ridiculous. Not sure I believe that mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 08-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #165
Adamo99

Quote:
400,000 miles on one of those cars would be ridiculous. Not sure I believe that mileage.
The 997s are over a decade and a half old. Easy to hit that if you're daily driving them.

If you're that concerned about PCCB wear/replacement, you can replace the carbon rotors with steel units if/when the time comes, with the appropriate pads. The GT3 rotors and pads are a direct replacement. Suncoast even offers a PCCB delete kit for < $2,000. All OEM parts.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK996TTPC.html
Old 08-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #166
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Quote:
The 997s are over a decade and a half old. Easy to hit that if you're daily driving them.

If you're that concerned about PCCB wear/replacement, you can replace the carbon rotors with steel units if/when the time comes, with the appropriate pads. The GT3 rotors and pads are a direct replacement. Suncoast even offers a PCCB delete kit for < $2,000. All OEM parts.

Cars that are a decade old should be sitting at 120k-150k, maybe 200k but 400k is a huge stretch for a car that age let alone a Porsche.

Not like I don't believe you but it is a stretch lol.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #167
WDE46

Quote:

That's 74 miles at day EVERY DAY of the year one a first year model. IDK who would be driving a Porsche that much. Doable for sure but not probable. My commute is 64 miles total per day right now (soon to be 12 YAY), but that's 5 days a week so only 16K miles a year. In total I usually averaged 21K per year over the past 7 years.

I would definitely avoid PCCB if at all possible in this case. $2000 to REMOVE a feature lmao. Only a Porsche driver would think that's a deal.

Last edited by WDE46; 08-15-2019 at 02:56 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #168
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 08-15-2019 at 03:24 PM.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #169
Adamo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Cars that are a decade old should be sitting at 120k-150k, maybe 200k but 400k is a huge stretch for a car that age let alone a Porsche.

Not like I don't believe you but it is a stretch lol.
I get it, the numbers seem ridiculous, and I wouldn't have believed some random stranger on the internet if I didn't know this guy personally. Also, note that in Europe, these things aren't garage queens. People drive them, long distances, in all kinds of conditions.

I did a ton of reading, and was hoping to avoid the PCCBs for the reasons you mention - but he was the one that talked me into them. Once I learned you can replace the brakes all around with iron rotors, it was an easy decision for me to make. Hell, just never having to clean brake dust again is worth it (for me, ymmv).

Now, about the new 'Vette- the exterior is stunning, but I can't get over the interiors. The C7 is the same way. Great looking car, looks like the interior is Fisher Price parts, assembled by pre-schoolers.

Last edited by Adamo99; 08-15-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #170
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Quote:
I get it, the numbers seem ridiculous, and I wouldn't have believed some random stranger on the internet if I didn't know this guy personally. Also, note that in Europe, these things aren't garage queens. People drive them, long distances, in all kinds of conditions.

I did a ton of reading, and was hoping to avoid the PCCBs for the reasons you mention - but he was the one that talked me into them. Once I learned you can replace the brakes all around with iron rotors, it was an easy decision for me to make. Hell, just never having to clean brake dust again is worth it (for me, ymmv).

Now, about the new 'Vette- the exterior is stunning, but I can't get over the interiors. The C7 is the same way. Great looking car, looks like the interior is Fisher Price parts, assembled by pre-schoolers.
Have you sat in a C7? I don't have many gripes about the interior in that one. The C6 and prior interiors were garbage though.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #171
Adamo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Have you sat in a C7? I don't have many gripes about the interior in that one. The C6 and prior interiors were garbage though.
I have. One of my friends has one. Stunning exterior, I'm not a fan of the interior.

Agreed though, that it is *much* nicer than the previous models.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #172
Stankia

My Ride: Germans
Quote:
That's 74 miles at day EVERY DAY of the year one a first year model. IDK who would be driving a Porsche that much. Doable for sure but not probable. My commute is 64 miles total per day right now (soon to be 12 YAY), but that's 5 days a week so only 16K miles a year. In total I usually averaged 21K per year over the past 7 years.

I would definitely avoid PCCB if at all possible in this case. $2000 to REMOVE a feature lmao. Only a Porsche driver would think that's a deal.
That's an insane amount of driving.