Police and crime - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #21
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Sit down, shut up.
Called out on his rubbish... tries to put on his authority pants.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #22
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
But but but the FBI is nothing but a bunch of corrupt Democrats who should all be thrown in jail and the entire organization should be done away with.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #23
joeski3d

AoG when creating this thread:

AoG on page 2 of this thread:

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #24
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
You're the one asserting the racist police theatrics. It simply is not true, and never has been. In rebuttal you post no data and only percentages. Again, they use percentages because wrongful convictions are (thankfully) quite rare and the raw numbers would generate a collective yawn.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #25
joeski3d

You've got a lot of free time today. Perhaps you need to invest in some attention-getting advertising to put in front of your empty office.

try a few of these.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #26
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
You're the one asserting the racist police theatrics. It simply is not true, and never has been. In rebuttal you post no data and only percentages. Again, they use percentages because wrongful convictions are (thankfully) quite rare and the raw numbers would generate a collective yawn.
Says the guy who started an entire thread on the issue. The link I posted showed about 100 domestic terrorism related arrests with the majority tied to white supremacy, that's nothing to "yawn" at.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #27
bgsmith

Does AoG work security at Angry Orchard??

A black man was trying to propose to his girlfriend at Angry Orchard. A security guard kept accusing him of shoplifting.

https://www.boston.com/news/national...chard-proposal
Old 07-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #28
Act of God

Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
So we're just going to skip over the fact the Sloe lied about racist police? Ok, let's talk about Angry Orchard because everyone cares.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #29
bgsmith

Quote:
So we're just going to skip over the fact the Sloe lied about racist police? Ok, let's talk about Angry Orchard because everyone cares.
To be honest I usually skip over most of Joe and Shaban's posts.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:45 PM   #30
joeski3d

I didn't lie, asshat. And it's not just police. It's the entire legal system from top to bottom. You can cherry-pick your perspective all day long but the evidence is out there and easy to find. There are plenty of cops, lawyers and judges out there that are not racist sh!tstains (blacks are just prone to be lawless gangsters that resist arrest) like yourself. But there are enough that are which means the problems I cited do indeed exist and are persistent.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #31
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
I could learn a lot from you, sir
Old 07-24-2019, 05:42 PM   #32
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
Quote:

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #33
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:

i don't. i chime in as it's hilarious to watch them make bigger assholes of themselves.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:13 AM   #34
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
i don't. i chime in as it's hilarious to watch them make bigger assholes of themselves.
Trying but it's impossible to be as big of one as you.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:34 AM   #35
mistrzmiasta

see what i mean...it's hilarious he has to respond because of his insecurities...it's so fun to watch and he does it all the time.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:42 AM   #36
joeski3d

that's what you took from the response? Glad to know you think of me often. I'm flattered.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #37
mistrzmiasta

Old 07-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #38
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
see what i mean...it's hilarious he has to respond because of his insecurities...it's so fun to watch and he does it all the time.

^nailed it.
ed17331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:39 AM   #39
evolved

My Ride: 2015 Chevy SS
Interdasting read in the WSJ today

Quote:
The news media has spent the past week trying to rehabilitate the reputations of Baltimore and Al Sharpton, which is more evidence that they'll try just about anything to advance the Democratic Party's Trump-is-a-racist storyline.

Alas, we could be having a much more productive debate about why black-run cities like Baltimore haven't produced more black economic advancement. Or why black politicians like Maryland Rep. Elijah Cummings, who was re-elected to a 13th term with more than 76% of the vote in 2018, so routinely skirt responsibility for the living conditions in their districts. Or whether there is any significant connection between black political power and black prosperity.

Mr. Trump's Twitter spasms may eventually turn off enough white suburban moms to cost him re-election, but caution isn't part of his repertoire. And when dealing with political opponents who are obsessed with racism, real or imagined, indifference to whether you are labeled a racist might even be an asset. The reality is that much of the racism that the left complains about these days has proved under scrutiny to be imaginary, which is good news for the country but bad news for politicians and activists who thrive on racial division.

The last time most of us thought about Baltimore was probably 2015, when residents rioted after a black suspect died in police custody. A year earlier, riots had erupted in Ferguson, Mo., after another black suspect was shot dead while assaulting a police officer. Much was made of the fact that Ferguson's city leaders and police department were mostly white. A U.S. Justice Department review of the incident said that it was "critically important for law enforcement agencies, and the Ferguson Police Department in particular, to strive for broad diversity among officers and civilian staff."

But if racial and ethnic diversity were so essential to preventing police shootings and subsequent race riots, what explained the unrest the following year in Baltimore, which had a black mayor, a black City Council majority, a black police chief and a majority-minority police force? Is it possible that biased law enforcement isn't the problem?

In 2016 Harvard economist Roland Fryer published an empirical study that examined more than 1,000 police shootings in 10 major departments nationwide. He concluded that there was no evidence of racial bias in police shootings and that blacks are about 24% less likely "to be shot at by police relative to whites." So far, such research has failed to persuade Colin Kaepernick, Black Lives Matter activists and Democratic presidential candidates. And the political press prioritizes anecdotal evidence and viral videos on social media, not hard data. Still, it's worth noting that a new academic study published last week is broader in scope than Mr. Fryer's and backs his findings.

Writing in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers from the University of Maryland and Michigan State University concluded that racial disparities in police shootings stem from racial disparities in criminal behavior and not from police bias. "We did not find evidence for anti-Black or anti-Hispanic disparity in the police use of force across all shootings, and, if anything, found anti-White disparities when controlling for race-specific crime."

Many on the political left and in the media are loath to discuss how large black-white differences in violent crime rates result in racially disparate encounters with police. But why should anyone be surprised that young black men are far more likely than their white peers to be shot by police when young black men commit homicides at nearly 10 times the rate of white and Hispanic young men combined? "One of our clearest results is that violent crime rates strongly predict the race of the person fatally shot," write the authors. Moreover, "reducing race-specific violent crime should be an effective way to reduce fatal shootings of Black and Hispanic adults." More minority cops might help law enforcement build trust in certain communities, but the "data suggest that increasing racial diversity would not meaningfully reduce racial disparity in fatal shootings." Minority officers are no less likely to draw their weapons on minority suspects.

When liberals decide to grapple with these realities, we'll know they are serious about addressing racial disparities, never mind fixing the nation's Baltimores. But don't hold your breath. Mr. Sharpton was a frequent visitor to the Obama White House, and given the way the people on stage Tuesday and Wednesday night have lined up to kiss his ring, chances are that the reverend will be monetizing racial strife for years to come. We may be in a racial holding pattern until the 2020 election. Mr. Trump won't back down, and his opponents, if they're being honest with themselves, don't really want him to.
Link to referenced study: https://www.researchgate.net/publica...article_inline

I've thought along these lines for a while. If every police interaction carries with it a certain percentage risk of being shot (take all police interactions divided by number of police shootings and you get a percentage, a low one.) and you have a portion of the population that commits crime more so than others, then one could assume that they cross paths with LEO's more often, which would increase their chance of being shot. I don't think thats exactly what the article is saying, but its along those same lines. Good read.

tl;dr -

Present
2015 Chevrolet SS
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

ss
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:43 AM   #40
Act of God

I had actually made a similar argument a while back, I think it has merit.