Stem Cells.... Good call Pres - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Coldintake
Registered OG User

My Ride: Mid-engine beast
Stem Cells.... Good call Pres

Fully support government funding.

Opinions?
Old 03-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
hypnotiq

My Ride: Yayo White 3
Now teenage girls will go and get knocked up just so they can sell their embryos. The world as we know is over.

/s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 977 View Post
Red CF? Where is your god now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
I wish I could have watched you whack it. Maybe you can help me with mine.
hypnotiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
I just feel bad for the people who won't have 8 extra years to wait for the benefits of this research.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
3onDubs

My Ride: no
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
I just feel bad for the people who won't have 8 extra years to wait for the benefits of this research.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
pinoycowboy

My Ride: VW GLI & Passat TDI
Send a message via ICQ to pinoycowboy Send a message via AIM to pinoycowboy
i'm still torn on this issue, but i generally support it.

e46 SOLD :(
pinoycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
LoveMyBMW

My Ride: 2004 330i sedan
Bad call.

1) There was NEVER a ban on stem cell research; only a ban on using TAXPAYER money. Those biotech firms screaming how "miracle cures are around the corner" have always been able to use their OWN money for research. But no - they want you to pay for the risks while they privatize the profits. Let them invest their OWN damned money.
2) Adult stem cells have proven as usable as embryonic stem cells, so the insistence by the Left of using embryonic stem cells is motivated by POLITICS and not science.
LoveMyBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
Coldintake
Registered OG User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyBMW View Post
Bad call.

1) There was NEVER a ban on stem cell research; only a ban on using TAXPAYER money. Those biotech firms screaming how "miracle cures are around the corner" have always been able to use their OWN money for research. But no - they want you to pay for the risks while they privatize the profits. Let them invest their OWN damned money.
2) Adult stem cells have proven as usable as embryonic stem cells, so the insistence by the Left of using embryonic stem cells is motivated by POLITICS and not science.
I take it you have very little information/personal experience with how biological research is done.
1) Most of the promising and best discoveries in history have been done by Universities reciving public funding/grants.
2) Adult stem cells have been proven to be as useable in all situations. Even then, adult stem cells were looked into because of politics...not because it was the better scientific solution.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
LoveMyBMW

My Ride: 2004 330i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I take it you have very little information/personal experience with how biological research is done.
1) Most of the promising and best discoveries in history have been done by Universities reciving public funding/grants.
2) Adult stem cells have been proven to be as useable in all situations. Even then, adult stem cells were looked into because of politics...not because it was the better scientific solution.
Exaggeration and irrelevant; if the "miracle cures" REALLY ARE just around the corner (as both bio tech companies and liberals would have us believe), then the ROI and payback period on private investment should be good enough.

I don't want MY taxpayer money used when private money can be used, and about 50% of the population feels that way (although most of them object due to religious reasons, I guess). Regardless, half the country doesn't want their tax dollars used this way, so the other 50% should make do with private investment.

Hope everyone takes notice that adult stem cells work (and have been working) just as well.
LoveMyBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Good.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
3onDubs

My Ride: no
Quote:
Exaggeration and irrelevant; if the "miracle cures" REALLY ARE just around the corner (as both bio tech companies and liberals would have us believe), then the ROI and payback period on private investment should be good enough.

I don't want MY taxpayer money used when private money can be used, and about 50% of the population feels that way (although most of them object due to religious reasons, I guess). Regardless, half the country doesn't want their tax dollars used this way, so the other 50% should make do with private investment.

Hope everyone takes notice that adult stem cells work (and have been working) just as well.
Uhh yeah, let's just say that it's a little more complicated than "it will work" or "it won't work"....this is a nice/brief explanation...

http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/basics/basics5.asp
Old 03-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #11
hypnotiq

My Ride: Yayo White 3
The government is highly involved in all facets of biological research. It boggles my mind that a field that has shown so much potential has had to endure a lack of funding until today.

I don't see how this is a political issue at all. It angers me to no end that is a small minority of people who are holding back the progress of science because their moral beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 977 View Post
Red CF? Where is your god now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
I wish I could have watched you whack it. Maybe you can help me with mine.
hypnotiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
I don't want MY taxpayer money used when private money can be used.
And I don't want MY taxpayer money going to fund the war in Iraq. Hard cheese. Not the way the system works, sunshine. It has been reversed & there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #13
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
I'm all for it if it leads to the curing of many diseases and illnesses... creating replacement organs and everything.

I'm just not for the whole possible future of cloning, though.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion

Last edited by DME46; 03-09-2009 at 07:25 PM.
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
M3LTDOWN

My Ride: Range Rover on 22's
Send a message via AIM to M3LTDOWN Send a message via MSN to M3LTDOWN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
And I don't want MY taxpayer money going to fund the war in Iraq. Hard cheese. Not the way the system works, sunshine. It has been reversed & there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.
You argue like a pre-pubescent girl.

-------------------------------

I'm torn on the issue.

Of course I want all possible cures for diseases and illness explored. However the destruction of an innocent human life is the price. How can you measure the value of one life vs. another?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #15
Coldintake
Registered OG User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LTDOWN View Post
You argue like a pre-pubescent girl.

-------------------------------

I'm torn on the issue.

Of course I want all possible cures for diseases and illness explored. However the destruction of an innocent human life is the price. How can you measure the value of one life vs. another?
Since this is a more rationale statement, we can discuss your question.
I personally don't consider 4/8/16/etc cells a human. I consider a human a human when it starts looking like one and can react to pain consciously. Now, if growing cells and curing people isn't of any interest to people, that's fine. But let's say you know someone that has live through a heart attack and will die prematurely very soon, but stem cells can lengthen their life. Do you at that point want to look at that person and say " Sorry, these cells that can save your life, but we don't have money to study them?"
Old 03-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #16
M3LTDOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
Since this is a more rationale statement, we can discuss your question.
I personally don't consider 4/8/16/etc cells a human. I consider a human a human when it starts looking like one and can react to pain consciously. Now, if growing cells and curing people isn't of any interest to people, that's fine. But let's say you know someone that has live through a heart attack and will die prematurely very soon, but stem cells can lengthen their life. Do you at that point want to look at that person and say " Sorry, these cells that can save your life, but we don't have money to study them?"
You personally does not equal everybody or necessarily the majority.

I agree that it can benefit a lot of people, but their is a moral price-tag.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #17
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
You personally does not equal everybody or necessarily the majority.

I agree that it can benefit a lot of people, but their is a moral price-tag.
Possibly. There are other countries that are pretty advanced with stem cell research. How are they doing this? Is there some immoral process by which they harvest stem cells?

If history teaches us anything its that if someone can get away with something they will try.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #18
M3LTDOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
Possibly. There are other countries that are pretty advanced with stem cell research. How are they doing this? Is there some immoral process by which they harvest stem cells?

If history teaches us anything its that if someone can get away with something they will try.
If you think taking a human life is immoral, then I guess they are acting immorally....

Hitler thought he could get away with the eradication of the Jews. Juss sayin!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Human lives have values all the time. It depends on who you ask. The military has a value on human life and that value can change based on your grade. A general's life has more value then a private does. Wall St has (or used to) have a value for a human life in their computer rooms. (What is the cost of a downtime during the trading day vs. what is the cost of life insurance payout) Insurance companies have a cost of human life.

I have no issue with taking embryotic cells. IMO, the embryo is not human. It is merely a parasitic organism that the host has every right to kill such an organism.

Now you cluld argue that the extraction and use of such stem cells could boil down to a state right, as the USSC has decided that the moment of conception can vary from state to state.

I the current administration for overturning the policy of the previous administration.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #20
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
If you think taking a human life is immoral, then I guess they are acting immorally....

Hitler thought he could get away with the eradication of the Jews. Juss sayin!
C'mon. That's a bit dramatic.

I think as a country, we have a sense of morality though some disagree about particulars. Do you really think researchers will don uniforms, start demonstrating their power in the streets with organized marches and logos everywhere? Then, as we all watch the power and glory of stem cell researcher's might breaks into the homes of pregnant women to force abortions in an effort to harvest stem cells?

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote