***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread*** - Page 25 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-17-2016, 06:46 PM   #481
04Ryan325i

My Ride: 2004 325i
Dealer did diagnostics test and turns out my DMTL pump is bad. Ordered a new pump and hose (just in case). Cost about $100 with free shipping on ECS tuning.

Side note: DMTL pump is not covered under 15/150

Last edited by 04Ryan325i; 11-17-2016 at 06:46 PM. Reason: added side note
04Ryan325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:00 AM   #482
reaper99999

My Ride: 01 E46 330ci
Just want to provide a data point of success. In a nutshell, never give up until the dealership honors the warranty.

Read about the SULEV warranty and tried calling BMW NA thinking that they should know about the warranty and can communicate with the dealership to give me a "pre-authorization" to do the warranty repair. Spoke with some "warranty supervisor," who acknowledged knowing the SULEV warranty (after I pointed her to the exact doc, page, and section) but insisted that I need to first do a diagnosis at the dealership, which would be free only *if* they deem my car qualifies for warranty coverage but $175 otherwise. When I spoke to the service mgr at my service appointment, he initially claimed he's worked here 17 years and has never heard of a SULEV warranty. Only after I insisted he check the warranty doc did he call one of his colleagues and admitted, "Well, you learn something everyday." He took my car, did the diagnosis, and confirmed there was something wrong, but assured me that a software upgrade will fix the issue (again, he confidently claimed he has never had a customer come back a second time). After he upgraded the software he refused to do a drive cycle for me, defending how my car has been out of registration and that my tires looked old. Since I needed the car for the wkn I agreed to take it back. Needless to say the CAT monitor wont clear even after I followed all the drive cycle instructions. So I immediately took the car back to the dealership. During that visit the service manager finally put something on the estimate that read "Possible SULEV Warranty." After a couple of day, he called me saying that they replaced both of my cats. My car's CAT monitor cleared after I drove it for one day. Morale of the story, these guys will try to give you all the trouble to discourage you, but dont give up cuz at the end of the day
reaper99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:02 PM   #483
Mervon

My Ride: Searching..
Hello guys, I was wondering if anyone can clarify the part of the warranty that is 7 years/70,000 miles and it lists parts that are covered. I see the fuel tank is listed here...but I am reading people with close to 150k had the fuel tank replaced and covered. Can someone please clarify? Thank you
Mervon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #484
Calena

My Ride: 2005 325
Repeat story. 2005 325i SULEV. Sluggish performance and unpredictable stalls, left me on the road several times. Independent BMW-Mercedes mechanic for 30+ years who worked on my other BMW-s has a diagnosis of fuel pump problem. Since it is SULEV and less than 150K I took it to Melbourne BMW where I bought the car. Service Associate did not know about the 150K warranty. Supposedly, the technician drove the car several times to try to recreate the problem. (only 2.5 miles were driven) After a week in the shop I was told that thermostat is bad, causing stalls. The car does not overheat and does not loose coolant.

After the customary $140 diagnostic fee, we picked up the car. Of course in less than 200 miles stopped in the middle of the road again. After a few hours it started and we drove it home. Two days later on the way to the BMW of Melbourne we got stranded again. Two hours later restarted, took it to the dealer. This time I spoke with the service manager who promised to get to the bottom of the problem. After ten days and several phone calls the service manager calls me with the new diagnosis: MAF sensor, $500 because SULEV is good only 100K and 10 years and the warranty would not cover it anyway because of the car was sold in CA. He is not responding to my emails which is my preferred mode of communications due to the type of work I do. I guess also that he does not want a record either. At this point I am stuck, BMW of Melbourne stonewalling us.

Two questions: can and will the MAF sensor stall the car? (it happens mainly after 45-60 min of driving.)
Where can I find the BMW regional manager contact info? BMWNA will not provide it, google can not find it.
TIA.
Calena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #485
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
No. Not in the method you describe.
I would go into the dealership and ask to speak to the service manager and politely let him know that the vehicle warranty is still in force, but you can understand how it could be confusing because it is an e46 SULEV, not an e90. It is a federal warranty and failing to honor it is a violation of the Magnussen Moss Act
I would also question how a maf only fails after 30 minutes of driving, unlike a fuel pump which can fail in that manner.

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring

Last edited by Onizukachan; 04-23-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #486
Calena

Thank you very much for your reply. I will see the service manager tomorrow and will have an update.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #487
c28vette

My Ride: 2004 325i M56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calena View Post
Thank you very much for your reply. I will see the service manager tomorrow and will have an update.
Perhaps it needs to be emphasized yet again, it does not matter what state the car is now registered in, the 150k, 15 year warranty still is in force and can be confirmed once you elevate it enough. This is a fact, not an opinion.

Link shown earlier in this thread has some excellent and relevant docs

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=679368

Last edited by c28vette; 04-25-2017 at 09:37 AM.
c28vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #488
c28vette

Did you try the contact info shown around page 35-38 in the warranty book?

http://chrisparente.com/wp-content/u...dbook_2005.pdf
Old 05-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #489
Calena

Update. BMW of Melbourne reluctantly accepted the warranty and changed the MAF sensor. For three weeks this car stayed on their lot. This is a copy of the receipt with the results. Thank you all and this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sulev rec.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	654286  
Old 05-01-2017, 09:13 AM   #490
Calena

Let's hope that it is the MAF, not the fuel pump. Based on their findings obviously I can not tell. I am just hoping that if it is the fuel pump I can get it fixed before 150K.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #491
c28vette

Before you hit the magic 150,000 miles, I would take it back to your BMW mechanic for a full diagnostic of fuel pump performance, might be money well spent to have that documented.

As a related note the fuel pump in my wife's 2004 SULEV started occasionally making a faint whining noise several months prior to all out failure. Did not seem to be related to fuel level.

Last edited by c28vette; 05-01-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #492
Calena

We'll see how this car will handle the daily stop and go commute in 90+ plus weather in FL. Previously, it has stalled regularly after 35-45 min driving in rush hour.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:45 AM   #493
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
Not shure if this has already been posted, but here are some further details about the development of the M56B25 stated in the german Motortechnische Zeitung.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_M56B25.pdf (1.12 MB, 86 views)

Current licensing status:
Security implementation *done*
Implementing Flex Fuel

Siemens MS43 wiki!
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:20 AM   #494
extortionist

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
I have a question. Basically what I would like to do is remove the second set of cats on my car. I've looked around and got mixed information of people passing smog and others not passing because of it. There aren't any o2 sensors in the secondary cats so I'm assuming it's alright to remove them? Or if anyone has information or a link to something i have not seen it would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
extortionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:58 AM   #495
computiNATEor

My Ride: 10/01 E39 530i5
Quote:
Originally Posted by extortionist View Post
I have a question. Basically what I would like to do is remove the second set of cats on my car. I've looked around and got mixed information of people passing smog and others not passing because of it. There aren't any o2 sensors in the secondary cats so I'm assuming it's alright to remove them? Or if anyone has information or a link to something i have not seen it would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Your car's computer may pass the inspection, but you would very likely fail the visual inspection, especially as a SULEV car.
computiNATEor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:39 AM   #496
blarf

My Ride: 325iT, 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calena View Post
Repeat story. 2005 325i SULEV. Sluggish performance and unpredictable stalls, left me on the road several times. Independent BMW-Mercedes mechanic for 30+ years who worked on my other BMW-s has a diagnosis of fuel pump problem. Since it is SULEV and less than 150K I took it to Melbourne BMW where I bought the car. Service Associate did not know about the 150K warranty. Supposedly, the technician drove the car several times to try to recreate the problem. (only 2.5 miles were driven) After a week in the shop I was told that thermostat is bad, causing stalls. The car does not overheat and does not loose coolant.

After the customary $140 diagnostic fee, we picked up the car. Of course in less than 200 miles stopped in the middle of the road again. After a few hours it started and we drove it home. Two days later on the way to the BMW of Melbourne we got stranded again. Two hours later restarted, took it to the dealer. This time I spoke with the service manager who promised to get to the bottom of the problem. After ten days and several phone calls the service manager calls me with the new diagnosis: MAF sensor, $500 because SULEV is good only 100K and 10 years and the warranty would not cover it anyway because of the car was sold in CA. He is not responding to my emails which is my preferred mode of communications due to the type of work I do. I guess also that he does not want a record either. At this point I am stuck, BMW of Melbourne stonewalling us.

Two questions: can and will the MAF sensor stall the car? (it happens mainly after 45-60 min of driving.)
Where can I find the BMW regional manager contact info? BMWNA will not provide it, google can not find it.
TIA.
Probably worth noting that the M56 uses the same MAF as the later M54B30s. $500 is about list price, but if you wanted to DIY you can buy them cheaper.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:47 PM   #497
sandman512

My Ride: 2005 325I
Just thought I would throw this out there in this thread and see f anyone else has had a similar issue. I have a 2005 E46, 104, xxx miles with the M56 engine. I have an issue that I am working on. When driving the car, at appx. mph, 1600 -1700 rpms, the car seems to bog down(RPMS drop) and the exhaust makes a deep throaty type sound. I can either apply more gas and push through it or let up on the gas and the accelerate thought it. It seems mostly to happen on inclines however slight. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2019, 11:17 PM   #498
la325i

My Ride: 2005 325i
Realizing that this is an old thread, I decided to take a chance and update it with my most recent experience.

Last month took my 2005 325i PZLEV/SULEV in to a local LA County dealer for the airbag and tail light recalls. The very nice service advisor who waited on me said that she would also put down that I had complained of oil leaks on the pavement (although I hadn't noticed or mentioned this) because this would cause the tech to inspect for things that might be covered under the 150K emissions warranty.

I also mentioned that it ran very roughly on grades and this resulted in short-lived check engine light issues. I suggested that there might be a VANOS issue. She said that any VANOS issues except solenoids aren't covered by the warranty. (Unfortunately, I didn't have the list of covered parts with me to show that both the VANOS and the VANOS solenoids are covered.)

However, the tech did look at the deep codes and ultimately tested and replaced the MAF sensor as well as one of the pre-cat sensors. I decided not to pursue the VANOS questions until I have a chance to fully road test the car.

Despite several of the prescribed drive cycles I can't get the cat ready for the smog test. The dealer that did the work wants to charge for the diagnosis, despite the fact that the readiness problem appeared only after they cleared the codes. They won't charge if they find a problem. I'm trying to decide whether I should go ahead and pay for a failed smog test to dispute the proposed diagnostic charge.

I haven't had the chance to test the car on a grade yet.

I'm leaning towards taking the car to Crevier BMW as this is the apparently the closest place that best knows the M56 engine and extended warranty coverage. It's a little further but probably worth the drive.

I suspect that the VANOS needs rebuilding/replacement since the car has about 118K miles now. Hopefully, Crevier has had enough experience with this that it shouldn't be hard to get them to get the work done under the warranty.

Last edited by la325i; 02-26-2019 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Typos and updated info
la325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:44 AM   #499
la325i

UPDATE:

Today I had a consult with my local smog guy. He suggested that I pay him for some dyno time and that he'd run the drive cycle to see if it sets the cat as ready. He can run the exact protocol that BMW specifies and said that often the cat sensor will set after a dyno cycle. If so, the smog test can be passed. This sounds better and cheaper than going back to the first dealer for a $180 diagnostic fee.

If the cat won't still set to ready, my plan is to take the dyno results to Crevier and have them figure out the problem. I'll check with them in advance to see whether they actually need a failed smog test to proceed under warranty. If so, I can get this and will only be charged for the certificate when I bring it back to the smog place for the re-test.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:03 AM   #500
la325i

Update to cat problem

To make a long story short. I took the car to Crevier. They test drove the car, confirmed the power loss complaints and ultimately removed both the O2 sensors and installed a back pressure gauge in their place. Both sides read 9 PSI back pressure so they replaced both exhaust manifolds / catalytic converters under the SULEV warranty at 118K miles. (My only complaint is that the service writer wasn't good about communicating the repair status and didn't return multiple voice mail inquiries.)

As indicated in a prior post, I'd previously taken the car into McKenna for the air bag recall. While they did replace the MAF sensor and an O2 sensor, they apparently didn't test drive the car to check the power loss complaints or check the cat back pressure despite my complaints about lack of power and stumbling on grades. This would have been easy since they replaced one of the sensors and could have easily checked the back pressure at that time.

The car now runs better than it has in years!

Last edited by la325i; 03-27-2019 at 12:39 AM.

Tags
m56, sulev