Did we trade a real economy for a fake? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #1
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Did we trade a real economy for a fake?

Been thinking about how things have been going here in America regarding economics, the economy and the stock market.

GDP growth has been steadily declining

We can see that the overall trend has been downward since the 40's, but right around the 90's we see a significant downturn. At the same time, our stock market took a huge turn at the same time.

When I look at this, I get the impression that we've taken a solid economy built on businesses, products, manufacturing and replaced it with imagined value (aka the stock market). This is the result of NAFTA and similar trade deals. Companies are worth more, profits are soaring, but our economy at home is tangibly suffering.

I think that this is bad, long term, for our country.

What this allows is for large corporations with multi-national capabilities to outsource production and increase profits. Businesses that focus around the market (investments, retirement, banking, etc.) will flourish. Sounds good, right? IT does sound good, and constant headlines about DOW ROCKETS TO NEW HIGH make great propaganda.

The problem is, these same trade deals create massive barriers to entry for would-be competitors. The American dream of opening up shop and making something out of it is waning. This is why these same giant corporations basically help write these trade deals (and regulations, mind you). They're climbing the ladder and then kicking it over before anyone else can climb up. You simply can't compete with Chinese made crap, unless you're catering to a niche market for expensive American-made products.

Giant corporations would rather endure the cost of a new regulation than deal with actual market competition. The government is happy to comply, as it ensures them monetary support.

This isn't capitalism, it is crony-capitalism.

As more and more trade deals pass, we will start to have a larger class of permanently-unemployed people. There is no way to avoid it, the jobs are going overseas. Labor participation rate is at a low point and continues to sink. This means that our currently-bloated entitlement programs are going to explode with growth. More and more people will have no choice but to rely on government to get by. We're already seeing it with the huge expansion of the food stamp program. More is sure to come.

It will lead to 2 distinct classes, ruling and dependent. Again, bad for the long-term health of our nation. When we have the majority of our economy based on what really amounts to nothing, we will see more crashes and realize less of a recovery from them each time. Is a digital economy preferable to a tangible one?

Think about it.

Edit: I concede that it is very possible that the GDP would have continued to fall regardless of trade deals, but it certainly does not appear that they are helping.

Last edited by Act of God; 08-06-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #2
Black///M

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
I believe today stock market is as good as the nikei...back in the 90's when it was completely artificial.
Black///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #3
Act of God

Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black///M View Post
I believe today stock market is as good as the nikei...back in the 90's when it was completely artificial.
I suppose it's only as good as people's belief in it.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
evolved

My Ride: 2015 Chevy SS
I'll address a few things when I'm at a computer, but, what's your proposed solution?

Present
2015 Chevrolet SS
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

ss
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I'll address a few things when I'm at a computer, but, what's your proposed solution?
I don't necessarily have one, just pointing out what I see as a possible problem over the long term.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Interested
If you want to make a statement that we all ought to get on board to fight poverty, I'm with you. If you want to say that we ought to fight income inequality I'm not with you at all. Because I don't think that the rich guy stole from the poor guy. In fact rich people don't get rich by stealing from poor people because it turns out poor people don't have money.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I don't necessarily have one, just pointing out what I see as a possible problem over the long term.
Well, that's no fun.

Present
2015 Chevrolet SS
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

ss
Old 08-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
badfast

My Ride: A car
Quote:

When I look at this, I get the impression that we've taken a solid economy built on businesses, products, manufacturing and replaced it with imagined value (aka the stock market). This is the result of NAFTA and similar trade deals. Companies are worth more, profits are soaring, but our economy at home is tangibly suffering.
Explain this. I don't know what you mean by replacing our solid economy with an imagined and it being the result of NAFTA. The stock market has been around for a very long time and has always played a significant role in our economy. Remember the Great Depression?

Quote:

What this allows is for large corporations with multi-national capabilities to outsource production and increase profits. Businesses that focus around the market (investments, retirement, banking, etc.) will flourish. Sounds good, right? IT does sound good, and constant headlines about DOW ROCKETS TO NEW HIGH make great
Of course we allow outsourcing. Americans love cheap goods. Companies need cheap goods. Cheap good are produced overseas. These jobs would not be outsourced if Americans were competitive in that particular industry (textiles for example). Being a consumer based economy means we need policies/practices that benefit the consumer. One result of high consumption is a boost in share prices. A business remains healthy through consumption of its good and services.

Blocking outsourcing/protectionism does not benefit the consumer. It supports a smaller segment of the economy at the cost of the consumer.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Edit: I concede that it is very possible that the GDP would have continued to fall regardless of trade deals, but it certainly does not appear that they are helping.
It sounds like you're confusing GDP growth with GDP.

GDP fell from 2008 to 2009. That's the only year since forever that there's been a fall in GDP.

Annual GDP growth fluctuates based on a gazillion factors, but it is and almost always has been positive.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #10
Act of God

Yes, referring to growth. Sorry.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #11
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Yes, referring to growth. Sorry.
So what should growth be, and how do you know it should be that?
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #12
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
So what should growth be, and how do you know it should be that?
Better.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #13
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
I lay the cause primarily at the foot of New-Liberal, trickle down economics and the resultant financialization of our economy.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #14
badfast

My Ride: A car
Quote:
Better.
Make America's economy great again!
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:53 PM   #15
evolved

Quote:
Been thinking about how things have been going here in America regarding economics, the economy and the stock market.

GDP growth has been steadily declining

We can see that the overall trend has been downward since the 40's, but right around the 90's we see a significant downturn. At the same time, our stock market took a huge turn at the same time.
This is not uncommon. As an economy matures it is natural for GDP growth to slow down. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing.

GDP growth since the last recession has been slow, but on the flip side, we're also in an expansionary environment that's lasted longer than prior ones. A typical recovery period goes on for about 5 years averaging 3%-ish GDP growth per yera....we're into our 7th year now with GDP growth averaging 2%-ish. On top of that, compared to our developed partners around the world, we're doing pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God

What this allows is for large corporations with multi-national capabilities to outsource production and increase profits. Businesses that focus around the market (investments, retirement, banking, etc.) will flourish. Sounds good, right? IT does sound good, and constant headlines about DOW ROCKETS TO NEW HIGH make great propaganda.

The problem is, these same trade deals create massive barriers to entry for would-be competitors. The American dream of opening up shop and making something out of it is waning. This is why these same giant corporations basically help write these trade deals (and regulations, mind you). They're climbing the ladder and then kicking it over before anyone else can climb up. You simply can't compete with Chinese made crap, unless you're catering to a niche market for expensive American-made products.

Giant corporations would rather endure the cost of a new regulation than deal with actual market competition. The government is happy to comply, as it ensures them monetary support.

This isn't capitalism, it is crony-capitalism.
It's troubling, to me, that you think of the stock market value as "imagined" as that's fairly inaccurate. In addition, to say that manufacturing jobs went away primarily because of NAFTA is also inaccurate. Technology/automation is arguably the biggest reason why a big chunk of manufacturing jobs are gone, and not coming back. So, when I hear people pound the podium and tell the rust belt that they'll get their jobs back from 20 years ago, it's basically pandering.

Also....a bit more on NAFTA, because it's easy to whip out the NAFTA BAD mentality, and then promise people their manufacturing jobs are coming back (hint: they're not). On balance, from a financial and economic standpoint, NAFTA has been a good thing for us. Even conservative sources like Heritage will echo that same thought.

Industrial production has been increasing every since NAFTA was enacted, and workers earn more now than they did back then. Sure, there's fewer of them, but automation and improvements in efficiency are the biggest driver of that.

Quote:

As more and more trade deals pass, we will start to have a larger class of permanently-unemployed people. There is no way to avoid it, the jobs are going overseas. Labor participation rate is at a low point and continues to sink. This means that our currently-bloated entitlement programs are going to explode with growth. More and more people will have no choice but to rely on government to get by. We're already seeing it with the huge expansion of the food stamp program. More is sure to come.

It will lead to 2 distinct classes, ruling and dependent. Again, bad for the long-term health of our nation. When we have the majority of our economy based on what really amounts to nothing, we will see more crashes and realize less of a recovery from them each time. Is a digital economy preferable to a tangible one?

Think about it.

Let's not bring up the tired LFPR argument again. The single, biggest driver of the drop in the LFPR is demographics, and the decline started nearly 16 years ago, and will continue as we move through the fat curve of the baby bomers. Are there economic reasons that are driving some of it? Of course, but it is not the major reason why we've seen a drop in the LFPR. Not by a long shot.

I never took you for a Berniebro, by the way

Present
2015 Chevrolet SS
Past

ss

Last edited by evolved; 08-06-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #16
Act of God

Actually, the drop in labor force participation is not people retiring, as many assume. I already posted those statistics here in another thread.

I don't think we can put the genie back in the bottle as far as jobs go, unfortunately. They aren't coming back. It's the same way with entitlements, you only get one chance and we blew it.

I do believe that the market is imaginary. It's smoke and mirrors, just look at the housing crash. It's a game, not an economy.

Bernie bro? Come on now! Haha, I just prefer actual capitalism to crony business.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #17
Act of God

Also, not really fair to talk about historic economies as ours was, is, unique.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #18
nuc1

My Ride: money hole
Quote:
I never took you for a Berniebro, by the way

Mike
Old 08-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #19
evolved

Quote:
Actually, the drop in labor force participation is not people retiring, as many assume. I already posted those statistics here in another thread.
Yes, yes it is.

https://www.chicagofed.org/publicati...2012/march-296

I've posted this, and had this conversation in multiple threads over the past few years. There are other factors outside of demographics, without a doubt, but demographics are the single, largest reason. Other factors include economic reasons, shrinking public sector jobs, disability litigation, etc., etc.

Quote:
I don't think we can put the genie back in the bottle as far as jobs go, unfortunately. They aren't coming back. It's the same way with entitlements, you only get one chance and we blew it.

I do believe that the market is imaginary. It's smoke and mirrors, just look at the housing crash. It's a game, not an economy.

Bernie bro? Come on now! Haha, I just prefer actual capitalism to crony business.
We didn't blow anything. Most manufacturing jobs that were lost in the past 20 years were lost because of technological advancement. It took 5 guys to look at and tighten a bolt in the 90's, and now it takes 1 guy managing a line of robots to do it.

You can think the stock market is imaginary all you want, but that doesn't make it so.

Quote:
Also, not really fair to talk about historic economies as ours was, is, unique.
Disagree. We follow the same growth cycle as any other economy. We are the most developed economy in the world, and did so in a narrow amount of time. That is unique. But, that doesn't mean that we have no means to compare ourselves.

Present
2015 Chevrolet SS
Past

ss

Last edited by evolved; 08-06-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #20
Act of God

Also to the Bernie point, he may have pointed out a real problem but I certainly don't agree with his solution. This is all caused by government and big business rigging the system, give me an actual free market and we'll soar ever higher