DIY: Replacing front control arm balljoints - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2016, 10:10 PM   #1
Tippey764

My Ride: 2002 Touring
Send a message via AIM to Tippey764
DIY: Replacing front control arm balljoints

I've seen a bunch of people buying new control arms to simply replace the only balljoint on the arm. I didn't want to spend $100+ on an arm when you can buy e36 all metal balljoints for much cheaper and press them in.

These are the balljoints used in my DIY

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-meyle-hd...1126758510~my/

Step 1: remove the control arm from the car, I won't be covering this part

Step 2: make relief cuts into the bottom of the balljoint cover and pop it off

Step 3: Remove the balljoint from the rubber isolating insert. First remove the rubber boot at the top to keep it out of the way as it pressed through out the bottom. One of my control arms was worn out and it came out easy, the other one I had to press the joint out, they both were fused to the rubber and tore it up on the way out You might be able to pry it out with a screw driver if you're lucky. Get creative.

Step 4: now you're left with this open hole. You're going to want to make relief cuts into the side of it ( you might make some marks into the control arm but thats fine, one or two won't hurt it. ) After you make the relief cuts start to hammer it from the side to collapse it inside the hole. After you make some progress you can hammer this metal sleeve out the bottom

Step 5: Take your new balljoint and press it into the arm

Step 6: You're all done, reinstall the arm to the car.

Tippey764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #2
Jason325xi
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 325xi 5speed
What size socket are using there to press the new balljoint in?
Adjustable koni yellow front struts, Rob43 9-way adjustable rear shocks, Special Rob43 lowering springs, supreme power drop hats, billet aluminum rear shock mounts, poly RTAB, poly FCAB, G.A.S. Disa kit, G.A.S. 1.2bar expansion tank cap, M56 valve cover

"No, thanks. I'm a vegetarian." Is a fun thing to say when someone hands you their baby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jason325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:06 AM   #3
Tippey764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason325xi View Post
What size socket are using there to press the new balljoint in?
None. Thats just acting as the receiving cup. I believe its a 46mm though normally used for the front axle nuts on a RWD model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2016, 12:34 AM   #4
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Very, very nice DIY. Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:37 AM   #5
Jason325xi
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 325xi 5speed
Oh i see, so it just had to be big enough for the balljoint to poke through. Thanks tippey!
Adjustable koni yellow front struts, Rob43 9-way adjustable rear shocks, Special Rob43 lowering springs, supreme power drop hats, billet aluminum rear shock mounts, poly RTAB, poly FCAB, G.A.S. Disa kit, G.A.S. 1.2bar expansion tank cap, M56 valve cover

"No, thanks. I'm a vegetarian." Is a fun thing to say when someone hands you their baby.

Jason325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:40 AM   #6
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
Is that the original OEM control arm? I'd forget how much thicker they look, are they any stronger then the more skeletal design? Fun reading, nice photos, great information!

BKMrSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:04 PM   #7
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
I'm assuming you have an xi, seeing as you posted in the xi forum. I just did this same job a few months ago and I took the arms to a friends house to use his press. We used an air chisel to remove the old joints, the flange on the original ones were physically larger than the end of the arm. We installed the new joints (the same ones you used, non m e36 outer joints) with a ball joint tool like the ones you can rent from AutoZone and an impact wrench. Make sure you get an alignment, because the new joints aren't offset like the original and you will gain castor. This will affect toe in. Either way $50+ for the joints and about the same for a front end alignment is way less than the cost of a new Lemforder control arm and new bushings.

Bad outer xi ball joint?

2003 325xi auto Stahlgrau

1998 328is 5sp
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:31 PM   #8
Tippey764

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMrSteel View Post
Is that the original OEM control arm? I'd forget how much thicker they look, are they any stronger then the more skeletal design? Fun reading, nice photos, great information!
I believe the arm in the guide is the original arm. The right arm was an unknown brand bought from parts authority. I honestly believe its just an OEM rebuilt arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
I'm assuming you have an xi, seeing as you posted in the xi forum. I just did this same job a few months ago and I took the arms to a friends house to use his press. We used an air chisel to remove the old joints, the flange on the original ones were physically larger than the end of the arm. We installed the new joints (the same ones you used, non m e36 outer joints) with a ball joint tool like the ones you can rent from AutoZone and an impact wrench. Make sure you get an alignment, because the new joints aren't offset like the original and you will gain castor. This will affect toe in. Either way $50+ for the joints and about the same for a front end alignment is way less than the cost of a new Lemforder control arm and new bushings.
Yes I have an xi, non xi arms are aluminum.

Yeah I had to get an alignment afterwards, my steering wheel was noticeably off, that being said I already needed an alignment before hand so I went ahead and just replaced a bunch of stuff before doing the alignment.

I replaced my front control arm bushings, ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, and rear trailing arm bushings. Its a night and day difference on the road now.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:30 AM   #9
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi MT, mustang gt
How secure is that ball joint? What if it falls out of the arm?
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:05 PM   #10
jmo69

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post
How secure is that ball joint? What if it falls out of the arm?
It's as secure as the originals, it won't fall out.

Bad outer xi ball joint?

1998 328is 5sp
Old 07-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #11
tttomttt

My Ride: 2003 330xi
outer ball joints

My sons 04 325xi needed some love however money was a major factor. Unfortunately for him so was the fact that he could not pass a NYS inspection due to worn rear brakes and worn front outer ball joints. I have been turning wrenches for quite some time and he is learning although does not have quite the willingness to devote the time it takes to keep up with these cars.
I priced out what it would take to replace LCA bushings, outer ball joints, inner ball joints, torn outer l/h cv boot and rear brakes. It came to around $400 from FCP. I have had a 20 ton press for quite some time so we were not intimidated by performing the job you guys have laid out for us.
I must say it went as smooth as could be. The so called unremovable outer ball joints put up little resistance after using a cutting wheel to remove the lower cap. The one tool I did miss having was an air chisel or small electric chipping gun to remove the ball joint. I used an large hand chisel and my trusty lump hammer and the ball joint put up little resistance in being removed. The new e36 out ball joint went in smooth as silk.
My son performed 85% of the labor as I am suffering some knee issues and all in all he did very well. I cannot say we raced through the repair as we had a few days to perform this and in addition we did it during those extremely hot days last week in our driveway but for the most part it was a good experience for both him and I.
Thank you fellow fanatics for your input on this DIY as you guys were instrumental in helping him save a few bucks and PASS HIS NYS INSPECTION.
Tom
tttomttt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:56 PM   #12
jmo69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tttomttt View Post
My sons 04 325xi needed some love however money was a major factor. Unfortunately for him so was the fact that he could not pass a NYS inspection due to worn rear brakes and worn front outer ball joints. I have been turning wrenches for quite some time and he is learning although does not have quite the willingness to devote the time it takes to keep up with these cars.
I priced out what it would take to replace LCA bushings, outer ball joints, inner ball joints, torn outer l/h cv boot and rear brakes. It came to around $400 from FCP. I have had a 20 ton press for quite some time so we were not intimidated by performing the job you guys have laid out for us.
I must say it went as smooth as could be. The so called unremovable outer ball joints put up little resistance after using a cutting wheel to remove the lower cap. The one tool I did miss having was an air chisel or small electric chipping gun to remove the ball joint. I used an large hand chisel and my trusty lump hammer and the ball joint put up little resistance in being removed. The new e36 out ball joint went in smooth as silk.
My son performed 85% of the labor as I am suffering some knee issues and all in all he did very well. I cannot say we raced through the repair as we had a few days to perform this and in addition we did it during those extremely hot days last week in our driveway but for the most part it was a good experience for both him and I.
Thank you fellow fanatics for your input on this DIY as you guys were instrumental in helping him save a few bucks and PASS HIS NYS INSPECTION.
Tom
An air chisel is my tool of choice when I do this job, my little home made press with the 8 ton bottle jack presses the joints in easily, does a nice job on the e36 bushings I use too. They are easier to press than the big xi bushings.

Bad outer xi ball joint?

1998 328is 5sp
Old 08-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #13
BMannyW

My Ride: 325ixt
Being in Canada, I'm putting in a order with RockAuto for a few other parts and they have several metal ball joints i noticed.. would this one from Lemforder work ($22.66)? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...0471&jsn=10471

Is the physical shape of the exposed bottom part an issue as they Meyle joint is flat on the bottom.

This ULTRA-POWER ball joint is the same shape, looks identical to the Meyle HD and almost a quarter the price $6.99 from Rock Auto:https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...0312&jsn=10466

And a Uro ball joint ($15.37) that is same shape but black: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...9073&jsn=10469
thanks

Some pics:
Lemforder:

Uro:

ULTRA-POWER K500080
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ball joint ultra power.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	781503  
1988 M6 hot and heavy (5yrs)
2002 325ixt responsible choice (present DD)
BMannyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #14
BMannyW

@jmo69 @Tippey764

Will the Lemforder ball joint work? thoughts?

thanks.. need to place the order asap.. have a cracked radiator to replace in the same order.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #15
BMannyW

bump..
Old 08-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #16
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi - '09 IS-F
Year: 2002
Model: 330xi
Transmission: AT
I used Meyle HD 31126758510. $20 each.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #17
jmo69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMannyW View Post
bump..
The Meyle is my ball joint of choice because of the all metal construction, Lemforder would be my second choice. I don't think the shape of the bottom is an issue.

Bad outer xi ball joint?

1998 328is 5sp
Old 08-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #18
EvaJuli

My Ride: E46 325XiT
How do I know if my ball joints need to be replaced?
EvaJuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:26 PM   #19
jmo69

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaJuli View Post
How do I know if my ball joints need to be replaced?
I heard a clunk on my car when driving into my driveway approach and with the wheel off the ground the control arm can be moved up and down separate from the knuckle. Or if you can get the ball joint out of the knuckle without ripping the boot the stud will move back and forth easily.

Bad outer xi ball joint?

1998 328is 5sp

Last edited by jmo69; 08-16-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:09 PM   #20
EvaJuli

My Ride: E46 325XiT
Just ordered these, new FCAB, & inner joints....weekend project coming up.

Question is, can you get a ball joint separator in there or you need a pickle fork for the knuckle side (not the inners).
EvaJuli is offline   Reply With Quote