Best Angel Eyes in 2019 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2019, 11:55 PM   #1
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3/01 330iT 6MT
Best Angel Eyes in 2019

Well, hell, I've been here 16 years and I'm posting my first newbie-type question.

I did some searching today and between this and two other BMW forums, almost all the threads I could find are ancient history. The most recent was 3 years ago - an eternity in this market.

Mods, I know this should be in the lighting forum, but I searched there as well and that forum is not so well read, so please leave this here 2-3 days. Please.

So, what are the best AEs for the E46 today? I was ready to order a set of Umnitza V2.5, but then I started searching and came up with more questions than answers. The technology changes too quickly for even a 3 YO thread to be helpful.

May be AEs are ancient history, but I have to replace the headlight lenses anyway, so I'm going to do it.

So, what are the best AEs today? And best bang for the buck? I'm NOT looking to build a kit myself. It has to be a relatively user-friendly kit.

[edit] spelling

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Geo31; 02-23-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:58 AM   #2
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
Best bang for the buck probably angel eye guy or umnitza

PA Soft
Driver:

Program:
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
Best bang for the buck probably angel eye guy or umnitza
OK, but which ones? A few years back there was a big discussion about LED vs CCFL. Which is better? Right now I can buy either the V2, V2.5, or CCFL for roughly the same price. If I buy the LED, I'll get the opaque so they blend better. Are the LED still overly blue?

I know very little about them because for the longest time I didn't even remotely consider them, but now that I have to replace the lenses, I figured why not?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
armenh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
OK, but which ones? A few years back there was a big discussion about LED vs CCFL. Which is better? Right now I can buy either the V2, V2.5, or CCFL for roughly the same price. If I buy the LED, I'll get the opaque so they blend better. Are the LED still overly blue?

I know very little about them because for the longest time I didn't even remotely consider them, but now that I have to replace the lenses, I figured why not?
CCFL is old technology. I bought my umnitza angel eyes used and they're still working fine (LED).
It depends what blue you're referring to. Mine are either 6000k or 7000k and they're sort of purple but a nice purple. It's not the ***** blue.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Subbed. Would like to do this eventually. Thanks for asking the question George.

Current:

Past BMWs:

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Nolan_R

My Ride: 2005 330i
Year: 2005
Model: 330i
Transmission: Auto
I have the white/amber LED ones from angel eye guy and I'm very pleased.

Imgur album link

My only complaints are that the amber setting is difficult to see when it is bright outside, and if I have them set to amber, they will very quickly flash white when I unlock the car. Otherwise they're very easy to install, fit great, and look fantastic!

Eventually I would like to upgrade to these, which seem to be the newest in angel eye technology!

Jet Black 2004 325ci ZSP ZPP - SOLD
TiAg 2005 330i ZHP ZCW
Nolan_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:39 AM   #7
wasp9166

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
khoalty was my go to for ae

in for answers

stay away from umnitza

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #8
Silverdogz

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '04 330i
Year: 2004
Model: BMW 330i ZHP
Transmission: Manual 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
khoalty was my go to for ae

in for answers

stay away from umnitza
Khoalty shut down. Sad, but I think I want to go with CCFL anyway for my next set. I dislike the look of the single LEDs in a band and want a uniform look.

EDIT: Took a look at the E46 Crystal AEs on Angel Eye Guy's store. Those are what I want, but I wish that they tapped into the DRL circuit somehow. ah well, can't have it all.

Last edited by Silverdogz; 02-22-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Silverdogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:30 AM   #9
wasp9166

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdogz View Post
Khoalty shut down. Sad, but I think I want to go with CCFL anyway for my next set. I dislike the look of the single LEDs in a band and want a uniform look.

EDIT: Took a look at the E46 Crystal AEs on Angel Eye Guy's store. Those are what I want, but I wish that they tapped into the DRL circuit somehow. ah well, can't have it all.
i have mine wired into driving lights , i always drive with driving lights and ae on

i forget install, was some time ago , if you search hard enough you will find it, they have to be wired into rear lights as the front's positive is also used by blinker or something, i can't rem

this is done in lcm wiring , purple and brown wire maybe? just search and search

i found it, you will too

yes, khoalty were good guys , i wouldn't buy a flashlight bulb from umshitza

if it were me i'd go with angel eye guy now i guess, options are limited it seems

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 02-23-2019 at 07:32 AM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #10
armenh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdogz View Post

DRL circuit is just the high beams at low power.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #11
armenh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan_R View Post
I have the white/amber LED ones from angel eye guy and I'm very pleased.

Imgur album link

My only complaints are that the amber setting is difficult to see when it is bright outside, and if I have them set to amber, they will very quickly flash white when I unlock the car. Otherwise they're very easy to install, fit great, and look fantastic!

Eventually I would like to upgrade to these, which seem to be the newest in angel eye technology!
Those crystal ones are nice! The price isn't bad either
I can't tell if it's LED or not though

Last edited by armenh7; 02-22-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:27 PM   #12
Nolan_R

My Ride: 2005 330i
Year: 2005
Model: 330i
Transmission: Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
Those crystal ones are nice! The price isn't bad either
I can't tell if it's LED or not though
I think they are LED but I'm not sure. I should also mention that the ones on my car are the 'opaque,' so there's no visible light diodes. They're all white with no hints of blue and are very bright during the day. I'm not sure why anyone would get CCFL angel eyes in 2019.

Jet Black 2004 325ci ZSP ZPP - SOLD
TiAg 2005 330i ZHP ZCW
Nolan_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #13
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Orion V4’s from Ummitza are the best IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #14
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci M + 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
Bought some unbranded “cotton” angel eyes on Ebay. They have a semi-opaque layer of white to soften the LED glare.

Haven’t let me down once in two years. Good build quality and decent wiring. Brighter than most aftermarket AEs that I’ve seen.

Some no-name brands are complete sh1t but I think I got lucky. If they do break they’re cheap enough to replace. Pretty sure most of this stuff comes from the same factory anyway.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics

BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport 2001 topasblau/grau 110k miles
BMW E46 320Ci Sport 2002 topasblau/hellbeige 125k miles

|
|
| drive tastefully
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #15
Geo31
Ironman

Thanks everyone. I was not aware of Angel Eye Guy. Liked what I saw and the nice easy installation guide. I've already ordered a set of opaque white with no blinker switching.

I'll post back here when I get them installed. Given how that has been going for me, that may be next year. Actually, things are going to slow down after next month, so probably April. Maybe sooner. The installation looks to be really really easy. Then again, I have to replace my bumper cover/airdam thanks to a truck tire carcass about 15 months ago, as well as the trim under the headlight, so I may wait until the bumper cover/airdam is done and painted.

Geez, I think I need a more active schedule....

Thanks again everyone.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #16
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I was not aware of Angel Eye Guy. Liked what I saw and the nice easy installation guide. I've already ordered a set of opaque white with no blinker switching.
George, like you I did not know about the Angel Eye Guy and liked the opaque white as well. I will go that route once mine fail (10 years now) if they are nice as they look. Take some pictures as you received them and install them and let us know how it goes...

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:55 PM   #17
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
George, like you I did not know about the Angel Eye Guy and liked the opaque white as well. I will go that route once mine fail (10 years now) if they are nice as they look. Take some pictures as you received them and install them and let us know how it goes...
I will definitely take pics. They seem perfect. I don't want anything especially fancy, just basic angel eyes. I was discussing the March calendar with my wife at dinner tonight and I realistically think it will be April before I can install them. In fact, I need a couple of weekends to deal with a lot of pent up car work, from deferred maintenance to mods. I also expect to get my upholstery redone in March or April with the reproduction M Rain fabric and Alcantera. Got an estimate on Monday and it's doable.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:12 PM   #18
bremerd1

My Ride: 323
Year: 2000
Model: CI
Transmission: ZF 5HP19
I'll second the Umnitza V4's.

Pics in this thread (post #6): https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1231308

I've had them installed for just about a year, and have no issues with them. Nice and bright...

Dan B
bremerd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #19
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:

I'll post back here when I get them installed. Given how that has been going for me, that may be next year. Actually, things are going to slow down after next month, so probably April. Maybe sooner. The installation looks to be really really easy. Then again, I have to replace my bumper cover/airdam thanks to a truck tire carcass about 15 months ago, as well as the trim under the headlight, so I may wait until the bumper cover/airdam is done and painted.

Geez, I think I need a more active schedule....

Thanks again everyone.
Got a shipping confirmation notice overnight. Impressive.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #20
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Grayson Terry 865 Retrofits https://www.facebook.com/grayson.terry.10

Bad outer xi ball joint?

2003 325xi auto Stahlgrau

1998 328is 5sp
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote