Tuning the ms45.1 for the ESS twin screw supercharger kits - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Tuning the ms45.1 for the ESS twin screw supercharger kits

SOLVED IT

Perfect cold starts
Smooth power delivery straight to red line
Smooth throttle action on and off throttle
OEM-level drivability (just with more torque obviously)
Correct fueling

All the things the ESS tune should've had, but didn't, and couldn't.

Iíve learned a lot during this long journey and Iíve posted most of the basics including scaling for larger injectors up in the wiki on ms4x.net. https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title=Siemens_MS45

More specific to positive displacement supercharger kits you need to make a few more corrections, which I think you should make for centrifugal kits too but it seems you can probably get away without it?

Anyway, the solution is with the intake manifold model and the torque reference tables.

There is a pressure quotient that will trigger full wide open throttle at about .950 (default) of the maximum airflow according to the intake manifold model. The intake manifold model must be increased to account for the higher airflow so that wide open throttle doesnít happen way too soon (and suddenly) along the pedal travel.

Next the torque reference tables need to be rescaled for higher levels of mg/stk engine load as a result of the higher airflow. If these tables are left untouched then throttle will be limited based on the maximum mg/stk values in these tables (e.g. only 750mg/stk in stock form, or only 3/4 of what the twin screw will produce) as a ďsafetyĒ function of the electronic throttle control, and you will never reach wide open throttle.

When adjusting these two sets of tables I would suggest only scaling the values above 2500 rpm or 100mg/stk or ~75nm of torque, because remember at low load and low rpm the bypass valve is open and under those conditions the engine management should be identical to stock.

Donít forget to update c_maf_max_diag and ip_maf_1_diag__n__tps_av to appropriate values to prevent false alarm DTCs.

Also it should go without saying but be sure to dial back the ignition timing a bit, need to be safe here. Iím running at about 15-16 degrees of timing (21 is stock IIRCÖ) under full load and Iím just barely seeing the DME pull some timing every once in a while. If you run a larger pulley you can probably get a degree or more of timing back. Iíd be real curious to see an experiment on the dyno: what makes more power, a small pulley with less timing or a larger pulley with more timing? I digressÖ

There are a few other tweaks Iíve made in my tune for pedal sensitivity, cold start fueling, raised idle to 850, disabled lower o2 sensors and sap delete, etc and Iíve added most of that to the wiki. Out of 2500 parameters in the ms45.1 I only modified about 40 total.

My tune was developed by me based on my car:

2003 ZHP Manual transmission
Current BMW MS45.1 base firmware (7561520)
ESS TS2 kit using slightly smaller 79mm (stock ts2 is 83/85mm)
Bosch 42lb green giant injectors (stock ts2 is red 30lb)
E46 M3 fuel pump (stock ts2 uses stock fuel pump)
Catless headers
SAP delete

Disclaimer: Iím not a tuner, Iím just a stubborn guy with high standards when it comes to my car and what ESS gave me was junk. Iíve done my best to figure out how to tune the car ďthe right wayĒ, no hacks, patch jobs, or tricks. Use this information at your own risk, or work with an experienced tuner.

Frank Smith has a copy of my tune and can handle your custom tuning needs, and Iíll be posting my tune publicly on bimmerlabs.com shortly.

Huge thanks to Frank Smith and Hassmachine for their support and tools, without them I wouldn't have figured it out.

AJ @ ESS can kiss my butt.

Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wheelwell:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fuelly:
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
Huge thanks to all the contributors! Thank you for the detailed writeup here and on the wiki

PA Soft
Driver:

Program:
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #3
Hobbit382

My Ride: 99-328i 00-323i
Nice work!
Hobbit382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2018, 03:20 AM   #4
sda2

My Ride: BMW E46 330i Touring
It always amazes me, when people point a huge middle finger towards bigger companies with a shitty attitude and correct their products. Very nice job!

You could upload it to the wiki as well, or better, we can create a ESS Supercharger on MS45.1 page for exactly this. Just chat me on Facebook when you need help

Last edited by sda2; 09-06-2018 at 03:20 AM.
sda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
I have the ESS TS2+ setup and I can tell something isn't right with the tune on my car. It will sometimes run lean, it will run super rich, it will occasionally jerk and buck under steady throttle in the mid-to upper RPM range... However, I have a few things I need to work out (suspected vacuum leak, P0444 code that won't go away, car won't stay running after I get gas unless I keep it revved) before I should mess with the tune.

Hell... maybe the tune will fix said things (except the vacuum leak).

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 09-10-2018 at 02:08 PM.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
rkneeshaw

I'm not sure the tune would help much at all unless you have all things mechanical sorted out.

Build thread:

Wheelwell:

Fuelly:
Old 09-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #7
randomdude

My Ride: ZHP, M2
Ryan, I can't thank you enough for all of your help so far with my TS2. I'm really looking forward to putting your tune on my car. Without your help and encouragement, I probably would of pulled the TS2 off the car and sold it by now.
I'm so glad I won't have to deal with AJ anymore!

SPDSKTR, My car behaves in a similar manner...getting lean codes too. I have been through the car over and over, smoke tested three times with no issues found. The car ran perfectly before the TS2 installation. The car makes decent HP but the drive ability is not good at times. I'm convinced it's the tune.

Last edited by randomdude; 09-19-2018 at 07:32 PM.
randomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
Going to bump this thread a bit.

I got my issues sorted out. It was the pre-cat O2 sensor of all things. Now I need to figure out where I can get the software to tune the MS45.1 for either free or really, really cheap. You know... being broke and all that good jazz...

Also, do the changes you've mentioned unlock any additional ponies or is it just to improve driveability?

SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:31 PM   #9
rkneeshaw

Nice, glad you got it sorted out. Pre-cat O2 makes a lot of sense actually, that's how the DME knows to adjust fuel trims and the MS45.1 does it in real time. The pre-cat O2 on the MS45.1 cars are wideband, they are even used during wide open throttle.

I started tuning my car from scratch, so I started with getting it as strong as possible. I started with dialing in fueling so its about 12:1 at full throttle, and then dialed in timing so that I could run full throttle pulls without the DME pulling any timing due to knock. This is better than ESS' tune, where they basically let the DME bang off the knock sensors. I'm putting down about the same power as my car did with the ESS tune, I just think mine is safer and dialed in better.

But my primary goal with my tune was driveability. I wanted the throttle to engage in a very linear fashion from 0-100%, primarily so I could control the car properly out on the track, but its greatly helped daily driveability too. I was just thinking about this again the other day, the car is so fun to drive, it is just so smooth all the way through the throttle. It feels factory, like smooth and strong OEM, just with buckets more torque than stock.

The good news is there are free options for flashing the MS45.1 now. Bimmerlabs.com will take a .bin and convert it to a WinKFP file and includes a batch script that makes it an effortless affair (you only need to have a working copy of WinKFP on your laptop, part of the BMW Tools suite, which is readily findable on the internets). Terraphantm also has a flash utility, but I haven't used it yet. And if you are interested in tuning your car yourself, you could buy a copy of the ByteTuner tool from Renovelo which has all 2500+ maps from the MS45.1 and can read and write to your DME too (the only thing to note here is it uses its own encrypted file formats, so you can't export a bin or import a bin).

If you want to PM me your email address I'll send you my tune. I can only offer it as-is with no warranty or support however. It will be a zip file that includes the .bin files, the WinKFP batch script from bimmerlabs so you can flash it, and a README.txt file as it explains some pre-requisites (such as mods, software, etc).

Build thread:

Wheelwell:

Fuelly:
Old 04-30-2019, 03:16 AM   #10
sda2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
(the only thing to note here is it uses its own encrypted file formats, so you can't export a bin or import a bin).
One could FF a map, flash it and then read out the flash and compare where it is FFed to gather information for creating an XDF or RomRaider file. Involves buying the software which is a good thing.

Does ByteTuner support several software versions?
Old 04-30-2019, 06:29 AM   #11
rkneeshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda2 View Post
One could FF a map, flash it and then read out the flash and compare where it is FFed to gather information for creating an XDF or RomRaider file. Involves buying the software which is a good thing.

Does ByteTuner support several software versions?
Not all. What it does is detects your DME and then as part of the process it flashes it to the latest stock BMW file for your car. Then you can change parameters off that. So it updates your DME and allows you to tune it all in one swoop.

Theoretically you could make changes using ByteTuner and then read those back off the DME afterwards to start determining map locations, but that suck, it would take forever. And if you have ByteTuner I dont know what the point would be, just use ByteTuner to tune the car and then if you want, make a backup to bin by doing a full bin read off the car using PASoft or whatever.

Build thread:

Wheelwell:

Fuelly:
Old 04-30-2019, 06:48 AM   #12
sda2

Of course it would take forever, but so does a disassembly Once you have an other definition, you are no longer restricted to the single car license.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #13
rkneeshaw

I updated some details on the ms4x.net wiki:

https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title=Siemens_MS45

For boosted applications be sure to check out the section on Intake Manifold Model and Torque Maps.

I've also found c_ti_min does not need to be changed from stock when using larger injectors, and I think it helps with cold starts if it is left at stock values.

Build thread:

Wheelwell:

Fuelly:
Old 08-25-2019, 02:50 AM   #14
Sakhr1987

My Ride: BMW 330Ci (2004)
Year: 2004
Model: 330Ci
Transmission: 6 Speeds Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
I updated some details on the ms4x.net wiki:

Great info rkneeshaw, itís always pleasure seeing the updates you contribute the ms4x.net (:

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Sakhr1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #15
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
How do you post on the wiki? I want to post up my pmas hpx maf numbers and wiring

PA Soft
Driver:

Program:
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:40 AM   #16
rkneeshaw

Josh made an awesome post over on the renovelo forums that goes into detail describing how to set the right values for the intake manifold model and the torque reference tables: https://www.renovelo.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=11&t=1575

Build thread:

Wheelwell:

Fuelly: