Best Angel Eyes in 2019 - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #41
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
nope. perhaps they didn’t like the look of different sized rings it would have had? late production to change?

don’t think BMW had any idea how popular it would become. in fact initially many E39 owners wouldn’t have them turned on. too flashy for E39 sedan owners. think Roundel even had an article about that.
I could imagine. But now everybody wants them lol
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:14 PM   #42
malmazan

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
When I replaced my OEM headlights for the first tme, I bought a pair of DEPO AE headlights from BavAuto. After three years, the left low beam AE was acting up. I tired to fix it three times, but it keep dimming and shutting down.I research and ended up buying aftermarket CCFL AE headlights from iJDMTOY.com here in So. Cal. The headlights were from Spyder Auto. They gave me the best customer service I could ask for. I replaced the low beam bulbs with CanBus 6000K HID bulbs. I am very happy with the result. I also covered the headlight lens with gunmetal protective cover from Lamin-X. I also replaced the OEM taillights with aftermarket ones with LEDS and Fiber optic bulbs from the same company and replaced all the bulbs with LEDs except for the fiber optics.
malmazan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:43 PM   #43
Xeus

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
I got mine from ebay with 56 LEDs on them. Color is 6K, bright white. They have been on my 99 323i since 2012, never had a problem with them. They are clearly visible day and night. CCFLs are not as bright as the LEDs, and LEDs were easier to install as far as I remember. Some LEDs are attached on a single piece of plastic, get those. Never get the quarter circles soldered together. The solder breaks at the junction.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using E46Fanatics mobile app
Xeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 11:15 PM   #44
papa_g

My Ride: 2005 330ci 'ZHP'
Transmission: GM 5-speed A/T
I've heard a lot of good things about Khoalty and Umnitza; Khoalty doesn't do AEs anymore. My friend told me about angel eye guy and gave me a discount on a group buy in December. really like the result. Here is a video I did reviewing them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by papa_g; 02-26-2019 at 11:15 PM.
papa_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:13 AM   #45
wasp9166

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
I've heard a lot of good things about Khoalty and Umnitza; Khoalty doesn't do AEs anymore. My friend told me about angel eye guy and gave me a discount on a group buy in December. really like the result. Here is a video I did reviewing them.
khoalty doesn't do anything anymore it seems

they were decent guys, i wonder if they still lurk

just closed up shop, no explanation, nothing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:54 AM   #46
RidgeRunner05

My Ride: 05 330ci m6sp
Year: 05
Model: 330ci
Transmission: 6 speed
I have the unitza V4’s in opaque finish, can’t speak to the install. They installed them into new euro OEM facelift headlights I purchased from them. If your in the oncoming car they appear more white than blue, very bright, passing a tractor trailer on the interstate at night illuminates the entire side of the trailer. They are very effective as DRL’s. It’s been a good solution so far, including replacement of my fried adaptive headlights, warning the euro units are not adaptive and have a titanium colored filler peice in lieu of the NA black one. I was fine with that, it has been a one and done solution.
RidgeRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #47
petro240

My Ride: 325xiT
Up until this past year I never really liked the thought of aftermarket angel eyes, but I started to consider it a little while ago as a DRL. How do these typically function (aside from with interior lights or turn signals) - ignition on = AEs on?

Also, thanks this thread, I looked into the installation instructions, which brought me to the realization that a previous owner broke off my corner light mounting tab and gorilla glued my corner light to the fender as the fix. Can’t wait to deal with that..!
petro240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:56 AM   #48
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
Model: 325i
Transmission: Auto
I installed the umnitza V4s three years ago. A miracle for me as I have zero electronics knowledge. Followed a DIY from this site and an email to Umnitza to get it done.

Wired for DRLs, paid for the opaque version so it blurs the choppy LED effect. They run bright during daylight then dimmer at night, as they should.
Especially fond of the delayed shut off that allows me extra light after exiting the car for 2 or 3 minutes.

I don't understand the Umnitza haters, as they responded to my Friday email question on a Saturday. The product is solid after 70,000 miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited by DEADF15H; 06-13-2019 at 06:19 PM.
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #49
wasp9166

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro240 View Post
Up until this past year I never really liked the thought of aftermarket angel eyes, but I started to consider it a little while ago as a DRL. How do these typically function (aside from with interior lights or turn signals) - ignition on = AEs on?

Also, thanks this thread, I looked into the installation instructions, which brought me to the realization that a previous owner broke off my corner light mounting tab and gorilla glued my corner light to the fender as the fix. Can’t wait to deal with that..!
depends how you wire them in, read post 17

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #50
Darkstar5379

My Ride: 04 325i "Aura"
Model: m54b30 Zhp swap
Transmission: Auto
My two cents

Had my Umnitza V4s for over a year now with no major issues, I too got the opaque option and wired up the dimmer switch for night use,
They're very bright and makes the car look a lot newer when they're on.

I might make a full review on them one day if anyone is on the fence but here's some highlights
-very bright (in a good way)
-easy-ish to install, I just followed a YouTube video
-fitment is ok, would recommend to have projectors or you'll have a gap around the bowl
-would recommend opaque
-wait for a sale

If fitment is a high priority then I don't recommend getting these (unless there's a way to make them flushed with the High beam Bowl)
but other than that its worth it, Every time I unlock my car it still brings a smile to my face, so its worth it to me

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0315(2).jpg
Views:	816
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	769153   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0220 (2).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	769157  

Last edited by Darkstar5379; 02-27-2019 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Fix Picture not showing up
Darkstar5379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #51
maxfury929

My Ride: 2006 BMW M3 Coupe
Installed Umnitza V2s about 5 years ago, and still going strong.

maxfury929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:46 AM   #52
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci M + 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
So do most of you run you AEs as DRLs?

I went a slightly different route and wired them to my sidelights (in the UK, sidelights are the tiny T10 wedge bulbs that sit inside the halogen bowl).

So I have the option to turn them on/off from the LCM faceplate.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport 2001 topasblau/grau 110k miles
BMW E46 320Ci Sport 2002 topasblau/hellbeige 125k miles

|
|
| drive tastefully
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #53
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoscopy View Post
So do most of you run you AEs as DRLs?

I went a slightly different route and wired them to my sidelights (in the UK, sidelights are the tiny T10 wedge bulbs that sit inside the halogen bowl).
So I have the option to turn them on/off from the LCM faceplate.
Well they kinda look strange (too busy) with the DRL on aswell. from my experience on the forums most use in place of the extra DRL but also keep them on at night with headlights. so they’re basically always on with key(I’m sure some differ).
our Canadian brothers to the north usually run these in place of their mandatory DRL and code out the factory DRLs.

interesting you call them “sidelights”, I’ve owed many euro spec lights over the decades (Hella/Cibie) and we all called that feature the “city light”.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:27 PM   #54
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci M + 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
Best Angel Eyes in 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Well they kinda look strange (too busy) with the DRL on aswell. from my experience on the forums most use in place of the extra DRL but also keep them on at night with headlights. so they’re basically always on with key(I’m sure some differ).

our Canadian brothers to the north usually run these in place of their mandatory DRL and code out the factory DRLs.

interesting you call them “sidelights”, I’ve owed many euro spec lights over the decades (Hella/Cibie) and we all called that feature the “city light”.

That’s a difference between EU and UK; we say sidelights instead of city lights, and we don’t have a legal requirement for DRLs. So on the bi-xenon setup, the inner halogens are only activated by pulling the stalk, which some call “flash-to-pass”.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport 2001 topasblau/grau 110k miles
BMW E46 320Ci Sport 2002 topasblau/hellbeige 125k miles

|
|
| drive tastefully

Last edited by bendoscopy; 03-02-2019 at 05:32 PM.
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #55
Silverdogz

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '04 330i
Year: 2004
Model: BMW 330i ZHP
Transmission: Manual 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoscopy View Post
That’s a difference between EU and UK; we say sidelights instead of city lights, and we don’t have a legal requirement for DRLs. So on the bi-xenon setup, the inner halogens are only activated by pulling the stalk, which some call “flash-to-pass”.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
We have flash to pass too. Our DRLs are actually just those flash to pass inner lights on low power.

Why we don't have the internal lights acting as DRLs like the brits I dunno why.

Silverdogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:13 PM   #56
Haydenpaul1

I currently own the Xenon White Opaque Angel Eyes/Amber Switchback Turn signal style from Angel Eye Guy, they look absolutely killer and I get compliments on them all the time the BIG KEY in making your car look really fresh and new with the Angel eyes is to get new Headlight lens if yours is foggy a pair runs about $25 if I'm not mistaken and makes a world of difference, also the instructions were easy to follow when I got confused at one part I actually texted Angel Eye Guy (Aka Joey) his number is on the business card and he responded to my question within 5 minutes. Great customer service and great product highly recommend! (Link to the ones I own https://angel-eye-guy.myshopify.com/...12263549108306 ) Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E41A7C7-C95D-4BC7-9997-F2A1474A5699_1552691574269.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	770309  
Haydenpaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:11 PM   #57
petro240

I'm probably going to end up ordering from angel eye guy. Just looked up the price of Orion v4s - - good lord. Not sure I could justify the price difference to myself.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:12 PM   #58
petro240

Can anyone comment on how the angel eye guy kits are at night?

My concern is if they are too bright to the point of creating glare for other drivers.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:49 PM   #59
Haydenpaul1

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro240 View Post
Can anyone comment on how the angel eye guy kits are at night?

My concern is if they are too bright to the point of creating glare for other drivers.

Honestly there not a problem at all havnt had a single person flash me while passing, Bmws tend to naturally sit kinda low so you don't have to worry to much about the glare as well as the Lights are a real clean Soft white! unlike the D'Bags that roll around with there Blue HID Headlights blinding everyone in there path, even the new Lexus suvs lights seem to come off too blue but these Angel Eye Rings wont disappoint! Like I said highly recommended getting new head light lenses as they make the car look so much more Modern and newer! Hope this helps! Lmk if you got anymore questions!
Haydenpaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #60
malmazan

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
Have not have any problem with the Angel Eyes. The only problem problem that I know of is when your low beam lights are not adjusted properly, then it can blind oncoming traffic. If you are wondering how your low beam projection is, go to spyderauto.com website and locate proper headlight adjustment instruction page.
malmazan is offline   Reply With Quote