Convertible Top Down and Up Buttons Not Working - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #1
lgv10

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330ci
Convertible Top Down and Up Buttons Not Working

Hello,

I went to put my top down today and the buttons that bring it down and up don't function (the other buttons, heater, DSC, etc. work fine). No lights come on...nothing. I am, however, able to get the top to go down with the remote control. I checked the corresponding fuses and they seem good.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by lgv10; 09-04-2016 at 05:10 PM.
lgv10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgv10 View Post
Hello,

I went to put my top down today and the buttons that bring it down and up don't function (the other buttons, heater, DSC, etc. work fine). No lights come on...nothing. I am, however, able to get the top to go down with the remote control. I checked the corresponding fuses and they seem good.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Seems you may have answered your own question here: The top functions but the buttons do not. I would venture a guess that they have been mashed so many times over the years that they aren't making contact or the plug to the back of them has wriggled itself loose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous:

All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
lgv10

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330ci
Anyone else have a suggestion. I have it a the shop and they are having trouble diagnosing. They are trying to say that it was a result of installing an aftermarket radio (Eonon D5150z). However, I told them the top worked fine after I installed the radio. The radio, however, for some reason kept resetting itself back to factory after a couple of days and so I shipped it back for a replacement.

Would the installation of the radio cause any issues with the buttons to raise and lower the top?

Thanks in advance...
lgv10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgv10 View Post
Anyone else have a suggestion. I have it a the shop and they are having trouble diagnosing. They are trying to say that it was a result of installing an aftermarket radio (Eonon D5150z). However, I told them the top worked fine after I installed the radio. The radio, however, for some reason kept resetting itself back to factory after a couple of days and so I shipped it back for a replacement.

Would the installation of the radio cause any issues with the buttons to raise and lower the top?

Thanks in advance...
It's a puzzler. If it worked after you installed the Head Unit and now it doesn't, I can't see how it could be the problem. I would have them test that the buttons are getting continuity.

Previous:

All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:35 AM   #5
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
It's a puzzler. If it worked after you installed the Head Unit and now it doesn't, I can't see how it could be the problem. I would have them test that the buttons are getting continuity.
This disrespectful individual is not worth helping, please do not waste your time.

taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
gateguardian

My Ride: Focus>E39>E46
I'm going to up this post as I have the same problem -

I just took out the center console buttons and tested the connections with a volt meter - both have a perfect electrical cycle. i.e. the buttons are not worn/ the problem.
There are no errors in INPA.

If we assume that the cables to the CVM are good as well (car is in perfect condition...), then that leaves us to the CVM itself. According to this pdf, that is where the buttons go to:
http://www.bmwtech.ru/pdf/e46/ST034/...ible%20Top.pdf

A couple of questions arise:
Has anyone heard of this problem before. Searching the net, there is little to no info.
How can the top operate w/ the key fob buttons and not the buttons in the central console? I believe this was something related to the key fob going to the comfort module, which different from the CVM... Can someone more knowledge-able pitch in?

OP, did you get your problem resolved?

Also, if I get a different CVM, will it have to be reprogrammed to my specific car?

Last edited by gateguardian; 03-20-2017 at 08:50 AM.
gateguardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #7
uegunequaled

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but having the same issue OP described. Not a lot of info around it. Going to try INPA and see if I get any info

Did you ever get this fixed OP?
uegunequaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:18 AM   #8
prodjay10

Was this resolved?
prodjay10 is offline   Reply With Quote