DIY - FUEL FILTER CHANGE (with photos) - Page 10 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #181
kwake330xi

My Ride: 03 330xi
Just to add my 2 cents, I changed my fuel filter a little over a year ago. One week later my fuel pump went. A very experienced tech buddy of mine said that the higher rate of fuel flow from having a new unrestricted filter in there prob caused the pump to burn out. He's seen that happen many times. Chances are the pump was on its last legs and would have needed replaced soon anyway, so I'm not suggesting you don't replace your fuel filter as pm, just warning that if you have a high mileage pump in there, you may want to replace that at the same time.
kwake330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #182
spitfingers

My Ride: 2001 325xi
how would i know if i should change my fule filter, i dont know when it was changed and im at 140k?
spitfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #183
MysticBlue

My Ride: 04 330xi & 05 330cab
I would change it. Cheap and easy to do.
MysticBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #184
nlinesk8s

My Ride: '03 325i
I just did this job, so a couple of comments. There are two 8mm screws on the bottom and two sheet metal looking nuts on the forward end. Why? Who knows? If the filter has been on there awhile, and mine had 90k on it, the hoses will be on there so tightly that you'll have to cut them off, and by cut them, I mean with large tin snips. I tried using a razor to cut lengthwise, but they were on there so tightly that didn't even work, plus I didn't want to damage the plastic lines from the tank. After cutting the hoses, I released the two clamps to lower the plastic hoses from the tank to allow me to get the remaining rubber hose pieces off.

So a good sharp box knife is an essential tool here. And a drip pan, and a plastic golf tee to plug the fuel line from the tank.

One note: If you go to a lot of local parts stores, and you look up "fuel filter", they'll try to sell you the model that only has two connections. Try looking under "fuel pressure regulator" to get the right filter with the integrated pressure regulator.
nlinesk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #185
djsilver

My Ride: '01 330Ci Vert
Just did my wife's car today. I bought the car with 73k, did the cooling system at 80k, valve cover gasket, CCV, shocks/struts, transmission and diff oil at 100k, cooling system AGAIN at 170k, (right rear wheel bearing and a refurbished drive shaft somewhere in there) I had purchased a fuel filter at 100k and it was still in the box in the garage. ;-) Yesterday she mentioned that when she put gas in the car it only took 9 gallons and read 1/2 tank afterward. It took me about 30 minutes, drove it around the neighborhood then went to the gas station and added another 9-1/2 gallons. So it's official..., the original fuel filter lasted 182k miles!
djsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #186
SilberVogel

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsilver View Post
So it's official..., the original fuel filter lasted 182k miles!
Change that sucker every 30,000 miles or so. Same mileage on the fuel pump?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let
help you save money with the parts.
SilberVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #187
djsilver

My Ride: '01 330Ci Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilberVogel View Post
Change that sucker every 30,000 miles or so. Same mileage on the fuel pump?
Yup, original fuel pump (although maybe not for long based on what I've read here!)
djsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 PM   #188
bala808

My Ride: 330CI Convertible
I have a 2001 330CI convertible with 107000 miles.Just changed the filter using the DIY. Yes it was pain in the ass getting the hoses off. After doing the chnage I inserted the fuse and did what is outlined in the DIY but the car failed to start. Used to start with one crank before the change. There are two hoses from the fuel tank is there a requirement which goes where?? I read the thread and one of the posts said that there are two different fuel tanks. Now I am wondering if the fuel pump is bust because I havent changed it since I bought it.
Thanks
bala808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #189
SilberVogel

^ You may have to prime the pump a couple times after replacing the filter, but if the engine doesn't start, double-check and make sure the fuel lines are connected correctly and not reversed.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:42 PM   #190
bala808

My Ride: 330CI Convertible
I do have the two inlet tubes towards the tank and one facing towards the engine and a vacuum line. I am 100% confidant that I installed the filter correctly. Only thing I was unsure is if I have to connect each fuel line to a specfic port on the filter. I am thinking airlock but that should be taken care of by the injectors.
Thanks
bala808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:16 AM   #191
SilberVogel

If you're sure the filter is installed correctly, fuel pump could have given up at the same time (stranger things have happened), but you're correct, those connections on the rear of the fuel filter are line-specific.

Connection #1 (fuel return - blue - inside) and #2 (fuel from tank - black - outside) in the photo below are the ones you should make sure aren't reversed before troubleshooting elsewhere.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #192
TopazBlu02

My Ride: 330CI
Did the job yesterday and it took about 1hr because I spent alot of time trying to get the car high enough to get under to do the job. Pretty straight forward but the hardest part was taking off the hose facing the engine, the two hoses facing the trunk were easier.
I positioned myself behind the filter, thinking the gas would shoot from the trunk to the front. But nope, once the front hose came off, that sh!t shot from the engine back and I got a face full of gasoline. Thought I was gonna go blind. That sh!t even got into my ears. Should have wore full face goggles, LOL. Worst sh!t ever!

I inspected the old filter and the gas going into it was super dirty but the gas coming out was pretty clean. Started the car and it sputtered for a lil bit then ran fine. Don't think I notice any performance improvements but hopefully I'll get better mileage as I was only averaging 22.5mpg before. I was at 131k miles.

Last edited by TopazBlu02; 02-08-2016 at 12:39 PM.
TopazBlu02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #193
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linx View Post
Did this today. One thing I noticed reading through this thread is the people who didn't pull the fuse and starve the car seemed to have less fuel flow out. So I didn't pull the fuse or starve the car and sure enough I had a little over a cup come out and most of it was from the filter...

I pulled the fuse, started the engine and the car never stalled. So I pulled the fuel pump relay - the green one in the DME box - and the car wouldn't start.

So I thought "Great, all the fuel pressure is relieved!"

Nope! Gas just kept coming out of the blue return line. I probably got 2 cups or more before I could get the new filter on to stop the flow.

Don't pull the fuse!

One of the posts above mentioned using WD40 to get the old hoses off. Great idea. I'll try some PB Blaster next time.

Are you getting hot air no matter where you set your A/C in your E46? Check out this ancient thread! Chime in with your experience:

Last edited by swordsman11868; 03-16-2016 at 08:20 PM.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:53 PM   #194
kgregory

My Ride: 2005 330Ci
This was a big help, thank for posting! I didn't get around to doing this until 123k miles and my car idles smoother, is more responsive, and I think I regained about 2-3 MPG from doing this.

For me, the hardest part was getting access to it because my jack doesn't lift my car very high and it's located right next to the jack stand.

Also, one thing I will say is that fuel never stopped flowing from the one of the rear hoses for me. At first I thought it would be easier to wait for it to stop draining before I put the new part in, so I waited ~5 minutes. After that I unplugged the battery, hoping that would stop it (after double checking the fuse removal) but it didn't. Finally I just put the new filter in while it was still flowing. I had a catch pan for the fuel, so NBD but I wasted about 6-7 quarts of fuel. My guess is that the fuel was siphoning out of my tank, so maybe it would have been wise to do this on a mostly empty tank.

kgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #195
LeMansteve

My Ride: sold - '04 330i
DIY - FUEL FILTER CHANGE (with photos)

I put my car on ramps and pulled fuse 54. Gas tank was about 1/4 full. In total, I got maybe 1 pint of fuel leakage - I guess the volume of the filter plus the volume of the hard supply lines on either side.

To get the hoses off, I used a pair of pliers. Grab the middle of the hose with the pliers and twist back and forth to get leverage, while pulling the hose away from the hard line. The hose will slowly slide off. I got no fuel spray, just minor slow leakage.

Bavarian Autosport sells an excellent fuel filter hardware kit that includes 6 new hose clamps, about 2 feet of vacuum hose and about 1 foot of fuel hose (more than enough to replace all 3 fuel hoses).

I'd recommend replacing the hardware. My clamps were looking rough / corroded and I gave the hoses a beating by twisting them to remove.

Install the 3 new supply lines onto the filter, before getting under the car. Lube the filter nipples appropriately and the hoses will slide right on. Residual fuel on the hard lines can act as lubricant for those connections.

Last edited by LeMansteve; 01-15-2017 at 08:36 PM.
LeMansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #196
tritron

My Ride: 325i
What new hoses we can get to replace the short ones on fuel filter.
tritron is offline   Reply With Quote