Official Google Pixel and Pixel XL Thread - Page 6 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2016, 08:03 AM   #101
JTLaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 337
My Ride: 2010 Wrangler 4 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by makecopies View Post
Real. I saw it advertised with the phone somewhere else
JTLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #102
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: HSV
Posts: 5,545
My Ride: Yukon, E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by makecopies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTLaz View Post
Real. I saw it advertised with the phone somewhere else
This has been available for a few years now. I've had one for awhile and it works well for what it is.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #103
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I'm just telling you whats being discussed by authorities at law enforcement/security conferences. These aren't Gizmodo-blog level discussions. These are in the know people.
I'm sure they're discussing at length all the unpatched security vulnerabilities in a Galaxy S6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
...the Pixel which looks very similar to the iPhone 6S.
...the iPhone 6S which the iPhone 7 looks nearly identical to.
ftfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I'm happy with the iPhone and its ecosystem now. I use the phone that just works and works beautifully--doesn't get in my way. right now that phone is the iPhone.
I wish it were that easy for me. Despite the very nice hardware it comes on, iOS does get in the way for me. I can appreciate the simplicity, but it's not what I'm after. They have added a lot of more power-user focused functionality over the past few releases, but almost all of it has come directly from Android.

I'm looking for an iPhone running Android, and the Pixel seems to be it.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #104
taxi_driver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: LA
Posts: 102
My Ride: has a meter in it
I'm gonna wait a bit for Verizon/Best Buy to get these in store before ordering it unlocked. Currently run mostly on Apple, curious how replacing my iPhone with a Pixel is gonna affect functionality across the board. Am I gonna have to replace my Apple TV and Airport Express for Chromecast audo and video?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently Driving:
2017 Volvo S60
taxi_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #105
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,677
My Ride: Economy Hatchback
No you don't have to replace anything but you may want to. The joy of Google devices and software is that they are not required to run only on Android unlike Apple stuff. You can run Allo, Duo, Hangouts, Gmail, Chromecast, Chrome, etc on any software platform you want. Airport is a wifi router, it doesn't care what it's sending data to and it's a pretty solid unit to begin with so I'd keep it. Apple TV is ok at best to begin with and I wouldn't balk at replacing it with a Chromecast (which is also, IMO, ok at best) for $35 to get better integration.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #106
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi_driver View Post
I'm gonna wait a bit for Verizon/Best Buy to get these in store before ordering it unlocked. Currently run mostly on Apple, curious how replacing my iPhone with a Pixel is gonna affect functionality across the board. Am I gonna have to replace my Apple TV and Airport Express for Chromecast audo and video?
Probably not. The Apple TV works pretty well as a standalone unit I think. If you did though, they would still work just the same with an iPhone in the future if you ever went back. That's the beauty of Google's ecosystem. You aren't locked in. Most everything is cross platform. Casting works the same on iOS.

FWIW though, Google Cast is more functional and efficient than Airplay. A lot more manufacturers and services are on board with it now because of it.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #107
Green_Shine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North
Posts: 373
My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I mean is I just upgraded to the iPhone 7 which looks a bit different than the iPhone 6S. I would not want to go back to the iPhone 6S which the Pixel looks nearly identical to. That would be similar to owning an iPhone 6S for two product life cycles. 7 is not hugely different from 6S but the one I ordered is glossy jet black and so on a big level, my money is going towards a different look than the phone I have now.
I know right, how would anyone know you owned the "new" iphone if it didn't look slightly different. ****ing Apple users
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #108
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
Best Buy is offering a $100 gift card and free Chromecast when you pre-order and activate a Pixel on Verizon
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #109
coco savage
Registered User
 
coco savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CFBMW.org
Posts: 1,371
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
I know right, how would anyone know you owned the "new" iphone if it didn't look slightly different. ****ing Apple users
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Quote:
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #110
taxi_driver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: LA
Posts: 102
My Ride: has a meter in it
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
No you don't have to replace anything but you may want to. The joy of Google devices and software is that they are not required to run only on Android unlike Apple stuff. You can run Allo, Duo, Hangouts, Gmail, Chromecast, Chrome, etc on any software platform you want. Airport is a wifi router, it doesn't care what it's sending data to and it's a pretty solid unit to begin with so I'd keep it. Apple TV is ok at best to begin with and I wouldn't balk at replacing it with a Chromecast (which is also, IMO, ok at best) for $35 to get better integration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Probably not. The Apple TV works pretty well as a standalone unit I think. If you did though, they would still work just the same with an iPhone in the future if you ever went back. That's the beauty of Google's ecosystem. You aren't locked in. Most everything is cross platform. Casting works the same on iOS.

FWIW though, Google Cast is more functional and efficient than Airplay. A lot more manufacturers and services are on board with it now because of it.
I use the Airport express for music streaming from my Macbook/iPhone/iPad to my home stereo, my wireless router is separate. Apple TV works pretty well for what I use it for, streaming local content from laptop to TV, netflix/hbo go.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently Driving:
2017 Volvo S60
taxi_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #111
Green_Shine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North
Posts: 373
My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Anyone going to go for the chromecast ultimate
At that price point I would buy a Roku which has it's own OS, and remote. Even at the lower price point I would still buy the Roku stick because of a controller, and Roku can cast EVERY app that Chromecast can, in addition it already has the apps installed on the OS.

I've had both version 1 and 2 Chromecast and hated them. I bought them for my home theater so I could cast Chrome tabs from my pc (roku can't do tabs) because not all cable networks have a streamable app, and the tab casting was unreliable as ****. So if Chromecast can't cast tabs, it's pretty much worthless as Roku can do it better without having to use a phone.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #112
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,677
My Ride: Economy Hatchback
The upside is that chromecast will interface with smart home stuff (ie Google Home). Roku is good but it's missing the larger scope of smart home integration for now at least.

I agree that tab casting sucks, even screen casting blows. The chromecast is pretty much good for apps with cast integration built in and there are a lot more of them now than ever. That said, it's still missing prime video and that's going to be a problem in early November...
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #113
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
I do tab casting for ESPN streaming from desktop to TV and it works fine. On a laptop though, I can see how processing power might be constricting.

All the apps I use are supported by Chromecast, I really don't want another remote or OS. Just hit the cast button and go.

Spotify, HBO Now, Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, Google Music, Google Play Movies.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #114
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
So the good news for the Verizon Pixel is that it comes carrier-unlocked, just like the Google Store version.

The bad news is that it comes with three Verizon apps preloaded. MyVerizon, Go90, and Verizon Messaging. Not sure if they can be removed or not.

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-pix...daydream-view/

Other good news is that it works with Verizon and T Mobile Wifi calling out of the box.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #115
Stankia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Anywhere in an hour
Posts: 63
My Ride: Germans
Plex as well which is all you ever need for your TV/Movie needs if you get them from torrents.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When I feed the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist."
Stankia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #116
coco savage
Registered User
 
coco savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CFBMW.org
Posts: 1,371
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
So the good news for the Verizon Pixel is that it comes carrier-unlocked, just like the Google Store version.

The bad news is that it comes with three Verizon apps preloaded. MyVerizon, Go90, and Verizon Messaging. Not sure if they can be removed or not.

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-pix...daydream-view/

Other good news is that it works with Verizon and T Mobile Wifi calling out of the box.
3 junk apps. You figure by now vzw would develop a good app
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Quote:
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #117
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: such united many state
Posts: 5,899
My Ride: so turbo wow
I sure love pre loaded apps from carriers. I use them all the time. They're so efficient.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zell; 10-05-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:44 AM   #118
TIHZ TA3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 20
My Ride: Elise SC
srs question: did they offer any reasoning on why the Touch ID was on the back? I can't see the advantage of putting it there other than them being able to show the front of the phone without people thinking it's an iPhone 6.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TIHZ TA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:08 AM   #119
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,677
My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIHZ TA3 View Post
srs question: did they offer any reasoning on why the Touch ID was on the back? I can't see the advantage of putting it there other than them being able to show the front of the phone without people thinking it's an iPhone 6.
It's been on the back since the previous generation (5X/6P). It works awesome and better than the front for every situation but when it's sitting on a table or desk. Then it's not awesome.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #120
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIHZ TA3 View Post
srs question: did they offer any reasoning on why the Touch ID was on the back? I can't see the advantage of putting it there other than them being able to show the front of the phone without people thinking it's an iPhone 6.
The sensor is exactly where your index finger rests when holding the phone.

It also supports gestures now, which would make a lot less sense if it were on the front to be used with your thumb.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.