So....the "consensus" on global warming was a crock all along? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
So....the "consensus" on global warming was a crock all along?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1258...IDDLTopStories

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSJ
climate scientists revealed that their own research wasn't always conclusive. In others, they discussed ways to paper over differences among themselves in order to present a "unified" view on climate change. On at least one occasion, climate scientists were asked to "beef up" conclusions about climate change and extreme weather events because environmental officials in one country were planning a "big public splash."
Cliffs:

1. English university network hacked and climatology emails leaked
2. Many emails among the various climatologists found inconclusive results in their studies
3. Other emails exchanged between climatologists were in collusion to "strengthen" their results ahead of political events about climate change

Can the leftist "greens" stop pretending that there is a "consensus" behind the "scientific community" on climate change? Maybe when they do that, they'll also admit they don't need to "invest" (read: subsidize) in "green" energy sources that are an order of magnitude more expensive than proven energy sources such as nuclear, natural gas, coal, and oil.

So, guys? Is global warming going to doom us all or was it just a political stunt by a certain group of self-interested scientists and politicians?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
yeah, 'global warming' has always been, nothing more than a liberal agenda, designed to make us 'feel bad' about how we treat the earth.

That said, we have a responsibility to be responsible with the resources of the earth. I will be 'green' but it stops at things that will affect my quality of life. ie. driving a prius, ccfl bulbs, painting my roof white, buying carbon offsets. all stupid things in the name of al gore.

All this 'go green' crap is nauseating.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Guest100615
Account closed per your request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
yeah, 'global warming' has always been, nothing more than a liberal agenda, designed to make us 'feel bad' about how we treat the earth.

That said, we have a responsibility to be responsible with the resources of the earth. I will be 'green' but it stops at things that will affect my quality of life. ie. driving a prius, ccfl bulbs, painting my roof white, buying carbon offsets. all stupid things in the name of al gore.

All this 'go green' crap is nauseating.
Agreed.

I have never understood why so many people worship Al Gore like a god.
Just because an ex vice president narrates a movie doing voice overs does not make him an expert on climate change and meterology. And the movie's facts can be refuted many times over. The movie is fiction, not fact.

I have no problem being environmentally conscious as long as I am not inconvienced or it costs more. I buy the energy saving light bulbs and I separate my plastic and paper for recycling on trash day. But I am not going to change my lifestyle or drive a prius just because it is pc and I can drive in the HOA lane.
Guest100615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Yes, it's all a ruse. Can't pull one over on you guys.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi

Gore:"the interior of the earth is extremely hot, several million degrees..."

Fact: the earth is only up to 7000 degrees.

Why we listen to this idiot, I have no idea.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
SLVR JDM

My Ride: E39 M5
Bunch of BS. I think we should not go out of our way to destroy the environment and to treat it respectfully, but don't give me this BS about us changing the temperature of the earth and disrupting things significantly. It is completely arrogant to think that the earth which (according to many, probably 100% of greenies) is millions+ years old....then we came along in 150 years and f'd it all up. Sorry, not buying it - you'd have to be retarded to do so. There is plenty of inconclusive research and conflicting results, as suggested by the OP.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
ThE GrEAt OnE

My Ride: has a 3 pointed star
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Bunch of BS. I think we should not go out of our way to destroy the environment and to treat it respectfully, but don't give me this BS about us changing the temperature of the earth and disrupting things significantly. It is completely arrogant to think that the earth which (according to many, probably 100% of greenies) is millions+ years old....then we came along in 150 years and f'd it all up. Sorry, not buying it - you'd have to be retarded to do so. There is plenty of inconclusive research and conflicting results, as suggested by the OP.
4.6 billion

ThE GrEAt OnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
You guys need to stop listening to the inventor of the internet.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
cereal
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #10
BB BMW

My Ride: 04 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
and Nobel Peace Prize.

This was for his talks about globel warming.

I believe he also won an oscar, a tony, an emmy and more than $100k for each of his speaches.

Now that's a con man.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
BB BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:18 AM   #11
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB BMW View Post
and Nobel Peace Prize.
Yes, BB. You should stop listening to the inventor of the Nobel Peace Prize, after all, the dude has been dead for 140 years.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #12
SLVR JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE GrEAt OnE View Post
4.6 billion
Using that number, which I know that many do, it makes our impact (and the associated degree of arrogance) even more laughable.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #13
dniper71

My Ride: A car
Quote:
It is completely arrogant to think that the earth which (according to many, probably 100% of greenies) is millions+ years old....then we came along in 150 years and f'd it all up. Sorry, not buying it - you'd have to be retarded to do so.
So because human industrial activity makes up like 1X10^-10% of the total time that the earth has been around, you're not buying that we could have detrimental effects on it? In the last 50 years, there has been enough weapons technology created that every living thing on earth can be vaporized in the matter of seconds.... but according to SLVR JDM, because the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that can't happen

Ever heard of Love Canal... Chernobyl maybe? How about living in an area full of smog, see how your lungs react to that. Also, our entire society is petroleum based, when you take billions pounds of CO2, CO, CH4 etc that is trapped under ground in what we can refer to as "oil" and release it into the atmosphere, do you think that has no impact on anything? If you're buying that it has zero impact - you'd have to be retarded to do so.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #14
SLVR JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniper71 View Post
So because human industrial activity makes up like 1X10^-10% of the total time that the earth has been around, you're not buying that we could have detrimental effects on it? In the last 50 years, there has been enough weapons technology created that every living thing on earth can be vaporized in the matter of seconds.... but according to SLVR JDM, because the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that can't happen

Ever heard of Love Canal... Chernobyl maybe? How about living in an area full of smog, see how your lungs react to that. Also, our entire society is petroleum based, when you take billions pounds of CO2, CO, CH4 etc that is trapped under ground in what we can refer to as "oil" and release it into the atmosphere, do you think that has no impact on anything? If you're buying that it has zero impact - you'd have to be retarded to do so.
You're likening our pollution to catastrophic nuclear events? Interesting. Who said anything about having zero impact?

Yes, I meant what I said - you have to be very arrogant to think that our 150ish years of industrial pollution has all but destroyed the earth. Give it another thousand years of pollution and accurate data and I'll buy it.

For the record, I think that exploring other forms of energy production and technology is great. I don't believe that punishing those who do not switch over is fair - they already to it in Europe and it is just a matter of time before they do it here.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:44 PM   #15
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
You're likening our pollution to catastrophic nuclear events? Interesting. Who said anything about having zero impact?

Yes, I meant what I said - you have to be very arrogant to think that our 150ish years of industrial pollution has all but destroyed the earth. Give it another thousand years of pollution and accurate data and I'll buy it.
So you agree that several atomic bombs can create a nuclear winter that would have catastrophic consequences for life on earth, yet you claim that constantly pumping out smoke and toxins into the atmosphere from factories, cars and whatnot won't make a dent at all?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #16
SLVR JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
So you agree that several atomic bombs can create a nuclear winter that would have catastrophic consequences for life on earth, yet you claim that constantly pumping out smoke and toxins into the atmosphere from factories, cars and whatnot won't make a dent at all?
Quote:
Who said anything about having zero impact?

Read much?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 AM   #17
CAG

My Ride: e46 M3 Cabrio & 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
Where do you get this stuff?

Bombs of what magnitude? What size? What design? Made of what specific materials?

Several thermonuclear warheads(not "atomic bombs" which are only fission weapons, but fusion weapons, ie hydrogen bombs), or even thermonuclear gravity bombs (larger then warheads), contained in any of the worlds nuclear arsenals would do very little, if anything, to the planet..

For a nuclear winter effect thousands of such warheads would have to be detonated...

Last edited by CAG; 12-09-2009 at 02:56 AM.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #18
SidewaysGreg

My Ride: E46 330Ci
Year: 2002
Transmission: 5spd manual
Quote:

Weíve doubled the CO2 ppm in the atmosphere in 100 years, to 35% more than itís ever been in over a 150 million years. We literally burn hundreds of millions of tons of fossil fuels a day and have mowed down or poisoned a big chunk of the earthís coping mechanism. But sure, we have no impact.

The US is the only country in the world that even has doubts. This leaked email story is the crock. Literally every scientist in the world agrees, just the ones working for Exxon arenít allowed to say so.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
SidewaysGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #19
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysGreg View Post
The US is the only country in the world that even has doubts.
That's total bullshti. Why the h** would you post something that patently dumb?
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #20
Guest100615
Account closed per your request

If anyone is destroying the environment it is the Russians,Chinese and Indians.

I don't think they have ever heard of environmental regulation
Guest100615 is offline   Reply With Quote