Camera guys - need advice - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In your gf's front hole
Posts: 356
My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Camera guys - need advice

Alright, so one of my best friends works for Canon and I can get in on their employee deals. The deal is available this Thursday and Friday only, so I have to decide quick.

Short version: Zero photography experience, but have interest.

This is what's available that I was looking at:

Rebel t6 with 18-55 and 75-300 double zoom $329
Rebel t7i with 18-55 $599
M100 with 15-45 $379 (mirrorless)
M10 with 15-45 $299 (mirrorless)
Rebel SL2 with 18-55 $449

My friend's wife is a photographer and she thought that the t6 is a good unit for someone with no experience. I remember you guys saying that mirrorless is the way to go, but she seemed to think it wasn't that advantageous.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Should clarify, this is pretty much just for playing around. I'll probably use it mostly to take pictures of guitars and cars, maybe some hikes and stuff.
__________________
“There are laws to protect the freedom of the press’s speech, but none that are worth anything to protect the people from the press.” - Mark Twain

Last edited by Act of God; 12-04-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:27 PM   #2
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 968
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
You say you have interest, which means you have the desire for good output product and you will learn and get better as you go. Forget the canon mirrorless crap, they are mediocre tech, and Canon WILL dump them sooner than later, dont invest into an already dead system.

The rebel bodies are ok, will get the job done, but if you really have an interest in photography, I'd recommend you step it up to the D class, and get an 80D body. Id also start with a quality 24.70 lens and build slowly. Buying quality gear is a good investment, and you will retain much more value. If you get bored, you can get 85% of your money back with quality gear, vs like 20% with meh stuff. If you MUST choose from the list above, then I'd go with the t7i.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 12-04-2017 at 11:27 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:29 PM   #3
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 968
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
This isnt a bad deal
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-80D...anon+80d&psc=1
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:29 PM   #4
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 968
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-18-55mm...ords=canon+80d
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:45 PM   #5
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 13,052
My Ride: '13 128i STX
I don't think the reason you can't get laid is because your dick pics aren't taken with an SLR.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:54 PM   #6
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,677
My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
You say you have interest, which means you have the desire for good output product and you will learn and get better as you go. Forget the canon mirrorless crap, they are mediocre tech, and Canon WILL dump them sooner than later, dont invest into an already dead system.

The rebel bodies are ok, will get the job done, but if you really have an interest in photography, I'd recommend you step it up to the D class, and get an 80D body. Id also start with a quality 24.70 lens and build slowly. Buying quality gear is a good investment, and you will retain much more value. If you get bored, you can get 85% of your money back with quality gear, vs like 20% with meh stuff. If you MUST choose from the list above, then I'd go with the t7i.
This.

Mirrorless is excellent if you don't buy a Canon. Their tech and effort into the market so far is frankly, sh1t. If you want mirrorless, you are either getting a Sony or a Fuji. Nothing else even comes close to the performance is those two for mirrorless and the Sony's will match or exceed the performance of their equivalent dSLR.

If you don't want to drop the kind of cash NFR said, I'd go with the rebel t7. It's the newest right now and buying the old one will just be frustrating.

Forego the kit lens too and either get a good 24-70 to start with or just grab a 50mm f/1.8 for around a hundred bucks and start shooting.

Sent from this crappy app that keeps crashing.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 12-04-2017 at 11:55 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:57 PM   #7
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 968
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
I guess I should have asked if video is something you care about. Also, the D bodies have much better build quality than the plasticky rebel ones.


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:52 AM   #8
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In your gf's front hole
Posts: 356
My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
I do care about video, but I do have a Sony 1080 Handycam
__________________
“There are laws to protect the freedom of the press’s speech, but none that are worth anything to protect the people from the press.” - Mark Twain
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:53 AM   #9
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In your gf's front hole
Posts: 356
My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
I just dropped 4k on a guitar, so I'm not trying to go hog wild here. The D series are all pretty pricey even with discount ($749.99 for the 80D body alone)
__________________
“There are laws to protect the freedom of the press’s speech, but none that are worth anything to protect the people from the press.” - Mark Twain
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:23 AM   #10
Brucifer325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 139
My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
Any camera that allows you to set the white balance is a good start for you.
__________________
Quote:
I'm doing something wrong with my life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:24 AM   #11
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,164
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Alright, so one of my best friends works for Canon and I can get in on their employee deals. The deal is available this Thursday and Friday only, so I have to decide quick.

Short version: Zero photography experience, but have interest.

This is what's available that I was looking at:

Rebel t6 with 18-55 and 75-300 double zoom $329
Rebel t7i with 18-55 $599
M100 with 15-45 $379 (mirrorless)
M10 with 15-45 $299 (mirrorless)
Rebel SL2 with 18-55 $449

My friend's wife is a photographer and she thought that the t6 is a good unit for someone with no experience. I remember you guys saying that mirrorless is the way to go, but she seemed to think it wasn't that advantageous.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Should clarify, this is pretty much just for playing around. I'll probably use it mostly to take pictures of guitars and cars, maybe some hikes and stuff.
T7i all day long.
STM lenses.
Best value and above average performance.
I have 77d and am very happy with it.
T7i is similar in quality output.
JMO
__________________
.
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
17 Time National Champs: 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017. We WILL Get Redemption In 2020
.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ranting about TVs, football, cameras, guns, diamonds, and HDMI since 2005.

16 Honda Accord Sedan V6 Touring (wife)
07 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD
68 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS
-------------------------------------------------------
07 Lexus GS350
00 BMW DINAN M5
01 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 12-05-2017 at 06:31 AM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:37 AM   #12
Black///M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 58
My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I don't think the reason you can't get laid is because your dick pics aren't taken with an SLR.
It worked for Weiner...
Black///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:04 AM   #13
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: HSV
Posts: 5,545
My Ride: Yukon, E92 M3
Get a copy of this and read it. https://www.amazon.com/Understanding.../dp/0817439390

Then read it again. A good photographer with shitty equipment can still take a better exposure than a novice with the best equipment in the world. In the grand scheme of things your first camera does not matter, save for settling you in the Canon or Nikon camp because you'll have glass for one or the other.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cowmoo32; 12-05-2017 at 07:04 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:26 AM   #14
ti317
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 932
My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Go with the Rebel T7i.

Anything with Ti in the name must be great!

(As you my have discerned, I have no effing clue. I’m still trying to figure out how to use my Kodak Brownie).


Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics
__________________
The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get any worse every time Congress meets. - Will Rogers
ti317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:36 AM   #15
BoogetyBoogety
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas!
Posts: 812
My Ride: 2010 SL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I just dropped 4k on a guitar, so I'm not trying to go hog wild here. The D series are all pretty pricey even with discount ($749.99 for the 80D body alone)
You need the D series or comparable gear (and a worthy lens or two) if you want to grow into serious or even semi-serious photography, as many have said above. That's not going "hog wild," that's getting better quality and better performance. And I see you understand the value proposition: Which is why you paid $4K for a guitar instead of a thousand. Or two. You damn well know you can get a perfectly serviceable guitar for a fraction of four grand, but you went with something better, right? Same with cameras.

Save a few more bucks before you take the plunge (and Christmas sales are coming, which may meet or beat your "employee pricing"). You don't want to be stuck with something that will frustrate you once you get started...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc336
BE QUIET STAY IN SILENT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ANY MORE. YOU ARE SO MADD AND IM HAPPY . DUMB YOUR MOM
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:39 AM   #16
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: such united many state
Posts: 5,899
My Ride: so turbo wow
I like my Rebel. It's an older t2i, but the quality of a photo comes primarily from the photographer, followed by the lens. If you're new to photography, I'd recommend starting with a Rebel and taking a short photography class. Cameras can cost as much as a car real quick once you start going beyond entry level.

Sent from Timson's yacht
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:55 AM   #17
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,587
My Ride: Redneck Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Get a copy of this and read it. https://www.amazon.com/Understanding.../dp/0817439390

Then read it again. A good photographer with shitty equipment can still take a better exposure than a novice with the best equipment in the world. In the grand scheme of things your first camera does not matter, save for settling you in the Canon or Nikon camp because you'll have glass for one or the other.
This. Just grab a cheap Rebel. I second picking up the nifty fifty (50mm 1.8), which comes to an effective 80mm on a crop sensor. Generally considered a great focal length for portraits. This will give you an ultra light setup that you shouldn't mind lugging around.

When you figure out wft you're doing, you'll probably want some of the features on the higher end bodies. Retire your rebel to backup status. It's always good to have a backup body.

Also, if you decide photography isn't a good way to get laid and the camera ends up rotting on a shelf, at least you didn't drop a bunch of coin on a prosumer body.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:24 AM   #18
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In your gf's front hole
Posts: 356
My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Man, very different opinions...all of which seem informed. God dammit
__________________
“There are laws to protect the freedom of the press’s speech, but none that are worth anything to protect the people from the press.” - Mark Twain
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:54 AM   #19
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: HSV
Posts: 5,545
My Ride: Yukon, E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
This. Just grab a cheap Rebel. I second picking up the nifty fifty (50mm 1.8), which comes to an effective 80mm on a crop sensor. Generally considered a great focal length for portraits. This will give you an ultra light setup that you shouldn't mind lugging around.

When you figure out wft you're doing, you'll probably want some of the features on the higher end bodies. Retire your rebel to backup status. It's always good to have a backup body.

Also, if you decide photography isn't a good way to get laid and the camera ends up rotting on a shelf, at least you didn't drop a bunch of coin on a prosumer body.
Agreed. A prime lens like the 50 will force you to think about composition as well; you can't just zoom and shoot, you actually have to move around to frame the shot correctly. Plus it's the best glass out there for the money.

After shooting film on a body from the 70s for a couple years, I started with the original Rebel, like, the very first one. By today's standards it's hot garbage but I will gladly put up some of my best shots from it against my more modern (but still pretty old) 40D.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cowmoo32; 12-05-2017 at 08:54 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #20
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In your gf's front hole
Posts: 356
My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Feels like I should split the baby and go 7ti
__________________
“There are laws to protect the freedom of the press’s speech, but none that are worth anything to protect the people from the press.” - Mark Twain
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.