Meet Mia: My 2001 BMW 330Ci JAN 2020 UPDATE - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2019, 12:24 AM   #21
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
Welp, we mark one year and 15,000 miles. What can I say - largely uneventful but that's what makes it noteworthy. I've topped off the oil about three times, but have topped off the coolant more times then I care to share (honestly about 5 times). I don't get a low coolant light which is most concerning. It seems that the automatic transmission cooler is what is leaking, along with the drain plug O-ring. I'm replacing that tomorrow.

I fixed my oil leak, which was self induced. I replaced the valve cover gasket, and according to my friend that helped me, I did such a poor job that the VCG is most likely why I've had to top off my oil so often.

While I was in there, I also did my spark plugs. I have my fuel filter on standby as maintenance, and I'm waiting on the O2 pilot mod because if I'm not drinking oil, I don't want to put unnecessary pressure on the piston rings.

On the flip side, I grabbed my CSL wheels from the 328...they're rough. There is also a bunch of erm...clutch hydraulics around these days...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

BMWCCA GGC: 530872
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:27 AM   #22
YoitsTmac

I also want to share that my mom has officially joined the BMW family and I can't wait to share her ride once we do a photo shoot.
|
|

Old 07-25-2019, 11:39 PM   #23
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Year: 2002
Transmission: ZF 5AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
I also want to share that my mom has officially joined the BMW family and I can't wait to share her ride once we do a photo shoot.
Excellent! My parents picked up a G20 back in March. Dad is in love with it. I don't care for it as much as my E46 but I do have to admit, it's very nice. They've stepped up their game from the F30. Did your mom get a new, or a used BMW?

Good to hear about the oil, btw. Even with the oil leak, 1 quart per 5,000 miles is impressive. I wish I could go that long without burning oil, and I've been running O2Pilot for almost 3 years. Of course, I believe I also have a small, self-inflicted VCG leak and a small OFHG leak.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

2002 BMW 330Ci 5AT
Quote:
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 01:30 AM   #24
YoitsTmac

Very cool! She grabbed a CPO, it's the way to go in my opinion. I'm not ready to reveal which, but I will this weekend on a fun trip we're taking.

I agree that I was lucky with my rate that I leaked oil, but I also believe it may go away completely given my sh*tty job on the VCG
|
|

Old 01-21-2020, 12:46 AM   #25
YoitsTmac

Big edit

Well you guys, I haven't updated this thread in forever, but it's time we talk. Wow, things I've done. Lets cut to the chase.

I've restored my old rims, so I'm back on a square set of 255/35/18. I reused my tires from the old car since they were okay, but I really hate the tire. Do NOT buy General Gmax RS. Many will see this as obvious advice but I was advised to give them a shot over my love child, the Indy 500's, and that was a mistake. the 18" sidewall of Gmax RS is softer than 17" Indy 500's. I always recommend Indy 500's to basically anyone who's looking for a value tire. I think they're 85-90% of what a Pilot SuperSport is.

I had some coolant leaks. Most surprisingly is my ET stopped holding a seal to my radiator. I got a new radiator and warrantied my ET and that's leak free! I replaced my thermostat but I didn't tighten it enough so I have a small leak there. I have the gasket still, but have been too lazy to install it, perhaps next weekend.

I redid my headliner and pillars in suede. It's bittersweet because the roof is sagging badly, but its literally behind me so I don't notice. The materials is a massive improvement over stock and the pillars are close to perfect. I also swapped my carpets for black ones, along with the dash. While I was in there, I wired up the heated elements of my M3 seats. Man, what a blessing in the mornings.

This one's fun. I blew up my belt. The idler pulley failed at around 5k rpm in third gear. I heard a boom, looked around, didn't see anything behind me and got back on the fun pedal. Looked down and saw the battery light and immediately went into neutral, turned the car off, and got towed home. Two pulleys and one belt, about $50 fix.

The elephant in the room: If you follow my YouTube or Instagram, you already know but I did a manual swap. After years of wanting it, it's done. I put in a 76k mile 6spd trans from a 04 330Ci and it's just been a hoot. For those of you who don't know, I study in SoCal and am from Norcal. I retained my 3.38 diff from my automatic, and the highway noise at high cruising speeds is pretty insane. If you do the math, a 3.38 diff basically makes 6th gear end at 155mph. Do the math. That being said, I-5 kind of sucks, but I'm LOVING how quick first is. I'm still learning, I'm really struggling to be super smooth in my shifts. I'm likely going to ask someone for some help to try and smooth me out. I'm trying to slip more clutch for a smoother engagement but I have trouble balancing the gas. Most of my passengers say I'm smooth, but I feel they're being nice seeing how self conscious I am.

The DME is still not programmed for the manual, so I get the rev jump when I clutch out. I also don't have cruise. I'm getting an error with my brake light switch (BLS), which I suspect is due to the DME being unaware that power for the clutch switch is being bridged from the BLS. I have...six spare BLS's now from the junk yard, but I suspect the DME programming will fix this. This also what I suspect is making cruise control not engage at all. My DME is unlocked, so I think either that is causing coding issues or its because my DME is from a VO car and my car is an SA coding car. So when you tell NCS to pass the SA to all modules, the DME doesn't care because it's looking for a VO.

I've been a bad owner. I live in the IE and there are no good car washes out here. I rarely find the time to wash my car, so no exterior pics. I have interior updates too, but I got new equipment and I'm more likely to upload to YouTube. I have five finished videos waiting to upload, and about seven in the works. I lowered my class load to dedicate full days to the channel now. All I'm saying, is I have a little something for everyone there and I'm completely changing the content I make on there, so I would love if you'd be willing to check it out! I'm doing a HUGE interior change, something never done before and I'll publish it there before I publish it here.

On a side note, I consider you all a little bit of my family. This community has really helped shaped my life today. You guys helped me diagnose so many things, connect me with some of the coolest members, a handful I talk to regularly, many more I wish I reached out to more often - Orb, Spannerhead, bendoscopy to name a few, and a number more I can't recall because I just don't hang out here often. My car is such a large piece of my identity these days, and I can't imagine what my life would be like without you guys helping me get here. I seriously can't believe how young I was when I first got on here, starting at 17 and now 22. Anyway, this is something I won't share on my social media: I'm leaving the country for the first time in my life, and it's all thanks to Kia. Super long story short, if you test drove a Kia Stinger on the nurinburg through a rig at the LA auto show, you were entered to win this trip. I ended up being the grand prize winner for the "Kia Drive to the Australia Open Event". I'm ironically bringing the girl I had a crush on in high school. Small world. It's nothing like that now, but she's grown to be a great solid friend. She's the one that got me into photography, so we're using the trip as a way to do photography. We went shooting the other day and her photos came out better than mine . Hopefully I can brush up there
|
|

Old 01-21-2020, 02:19 AM   #26
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
nice update

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:

sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:21 AM   #27
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
nice update
Hey by the way, I don't know if you remember but I'm rocking your RE Short Shifter! I've been following your thread quietly on ZHPMafia too
|
|

Old 01-21-2020, 03:51 AM   #28
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci M + 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
Great update and thanks for the shout-out. Right back at you, you glorious human.

Your car is looking spectacular. Nice work on the trans swap. If you haven't done it already, I'd recommend removing the clutch delay valve. Your mileage may vary, but for me it made 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shift a lot smoother.

BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport 2001 topasblau/grau 110k miles
BMW E46 320Ci Sport 2002 topasblau/hellbeige 125k miles

|
|
| drive tastefully

Last edited by bendoscopy; 01-21-2020 at 01:08 PM.
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:22 AM   #29
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Wow; what an update!

Great job with the pillar and headliner recover. Did you rewrap the A-pillars too? If so, were you able to get the material down into the "slot" where the screw cover goes?

Sorry to hear about the reliability woes. I think that's life when you're driving as much as you are though...

Great job with the manual swap! Love the shift boot. Is this your first car with a manual? Back when I owned my E34 540i, I had a "loaner" DME from an automatic 540 while mine was getting a performance tune and yep, a trans-DME mismatch definitely makes a difference! I feel your pain.

And congrats about the trip! That's going to be a hell of an adventure. As much fun as it's going to be to travel, in your shoes I'd have been ever-so-slightly disappointed I didn't get an actual Stinger as a prize---love that car. Still---have a great time!

Current:
•
•

Past BMWs:
•
•

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #30
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoscopy View Post
Great update and thanks for the shout-out. Right back at you, you glorious human.

Your car is looking spectacular. Nice work on the trans swap. If you haven't done it already, I'd recommend removing the clutch delay valve. Your mileage may vary, but for me it made 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shift a lot smoother.
Thank you! I keep you in my thoughts, thanks for the love on YouTube, so it wasn't much of a secret to you. I did the CDV delete on install, I'd hate to have to get back under there. The only funny thing I did was race transmission bushings...my drive home was awful. My car was an instrument for the vibrations of the trans. Basically any rattle on its way to be created, was created that night on my drive home. Huge shoutout to Brian for his time, lift, knowledge and manpower to help me out that day, he doesn't have an account here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Wow; what an update!

Great job with the pillar and headliner recover. Did you rewrap the A-pillars too? If so, were you able to get the material down into the "slot" where the screw cover goes?

Sorry to hear about the reliability woes. I think that's life when you're driving as much as you are though...

Great job with the manual swap! Love the shift boot. Is this your first car with a manual? Back when I owned my E34 540i, I had a "loaner" DME from an automatic 540 while mine was getting a performance tune and yep, a trans-DME mismatch definitely makes a difference! I feel your pain.

And congrats about the trip! That's going to be a hell of an adventure. As much fun as it's going to be to travel, in your shoes I'd have been ever-so-slightly disappointed I didn't get an actual Stinger as a prize---love that car. Still---have a great time!
With the A's, I did get it in the slot. I rewrapped the little slits too, but together (rewrapped A + rewrapped slit), the new width is too thick, and so the fabric buckles a little. But because its black, you hardly see it. As for reliability, I was less than 2 miles from home and back on the road in 2 days. Same with brakes...if I didn't forget to mention those.

Thank you! I can't believe it, like it still doesn't feel real. Of course my heart goes out to the locals, but it seems recent rains have brought great relief. So far my trip is still not cancelled. I test drove the stinger and honestly I wasn't impressed. The woman kept bragging about the fast paddle shifting, and that was what I found most disappointing. I found it just as obedient as the automagic in E46's. G20 330 and M340 are both more exciting, and the price different isn't huge. The quality inside the stinger is really fantastic.
|
|

Old 01-21-2020, 04:32 PM   #31
sillieidiot

Quote:
Hey by the way, I don't know if you remember but I'm rocking your RE Short Shifter! I've been following your thread quietly on ZHPMafia too
Was it you? lol I remember selling it to someone that didn't even have their transmission yet. I think I gave you everything including the carrier? Or maybe not iono. The carrier was from my car. Not like I needed cause I forced Ron to make me one.

Yeah I think when I get my car back this year, I'm going to repost my entire build thread on ZHPMafia. I'll have to go edit all the smileys though, ZHPMafia has less support than here.

Do you have a clutch stop? Should get one if you don't. Helps that you don't gotta push the pedal further than you need to. Maybe not get a rubber one. On extremely hot days, my car doesn't start LOL The rubber expands so I have to push HARD on the pedal. I haven't driven my car in like a year. But when I drove my buddies 330ci. I thought the pedal had a ridiculously long travel compared to mines. Also the shifter throw was ridiculously long lol I couldn't downshift for ****. I felt so noob

Old 01-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #32
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Was it you? lol I remember selling it to someone that didn't even have their transmission yet. I think I gave you everything including the carrier? Or maybe not iono. The carrier was from my car. Not like I needed cause I forced Ron to make me one.

Yeah I think when I get my car back this year, I'm going to repost my entire build thread on ZHPMafia. I'll have to go edit all the smileys though, ZHPMafia has less support than here.

Do you have a clutch stop? Should get one if you don't. Helps that you don't gotta push the pedal further than you need to. Maybe not get a rubber one. On extremely hot days, my car doesn't start LOL The rubber expands so I have to push HARD on the pedal. I haven't driven my car in like a year. But when I drove my buddies 330ci. I thought the pedal had a ridiculously long travel compared to mines. Also the shifter throw was ridiculously long lol I couldn't downshift for ****. I felt so noob
yes it was me, hah. I really enjoy it, the throw is perfect. I do have a clutch stop, but its sub-par. Is there one you recommend? It doesn't come out far enough without threat of completely detaching, and the bottom is metal so its oddly loud. You haven't driven your car because you're doing a supercharger, right? If you feel like a newb, you should absolutely see my attempts at downshifting. I don't know if people always get the rpm just right, but on big changes like 5 -> or 6 -> 4, I'm always about 500 off.
|
|

Old 01-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #33
sillieidiot

Quote:
yes it was me, hah. I really enjoy it, the throw is perfect. I do have a clutch stop, but its sub-par. Is there one you recommend? It doesn't come out far enough without threat of completely detaching, and the bottom is metal so its oddly loud. You haven't driven your car because you're doing a supercharger, right? If you feel like a newb, you should absolutely see my attempts at downshifting. I don't know if people always get the rpm just right, but on big changes like 5 -> or 6 -> 4, I'm always about 500 off.
Well I have a prototype v2 PedalHaus clutch stop. It has a rubber top. But it's adjustable for the height. I have it so that just barely clears the switch to start the car. This is the reason why on really hot days it doesn't start. I could make it lower, but I don't want to LOL

That's the current version:
http://www.pedalhaus.com/clutchstops.html

Nah I haven't driven it cause it's getting rear M3 fenders and other random stuff. The SC install will be done right after and installed by EAS. I think it'll only take them 3 days.

lol yeah I was off when I tried so I was like damn noob. I'm usually 500 rpm above what it needs to be before engaging the clutch. But I don't downshift all that much for normal driving unless i'm going up some huge hill. Also, the throttle response on my car is slow so I have to mash the pedal for longer to get the revs up.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #34
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Well I have a prototype v2 PedalHaus clutch stop. It has a rubber top. But it's adjustable for the height. I have it so that just barely clears the switch to start the car. This is the reason why on really hot days it doesn't start. I could make it lower, but I don't want to LOL

That's the current version:
http://www.pedalhaus.com/clutchstops.html

Nah I haven't driven it cause it's getting rear M3 fenders and other random stuff. The SC install will be done right after and installed by EAS. I think it'll only take them 3 days.

lol yeah I was off when I tried so I was like damn noob. I'm usually 500 rpm above what it needs to be before engaging the clutch. But I don't downshift all that much for normal driving unless i'm going up some huge hill. Also, the throttle response on my car is slow so I have to mash the pedal for longer to get the revs up.
Exciting stuff. If it's done before June, PM me and I'll come take photos. Would love to see this thing. You're saying I should wait for a new version of their clutch stop? If not the E46, what are you currently trying out the clutch stop in?
|
|

Old 01-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #35
sillieidiot

Quote:
Exciting stuff. If it's done before June, PM me and I'll come take photos. Would love to see this thing. You're saying I should wait for a new version of their clutch stop? If not the E46, what are you currently trying out the clutch stop in?
Man it would be awesome if it's done before June lol praying it does.

Nah, the one I linked is the final version. I just have that one they made to give them feedback for their final one. This was actually based on a DIY version I gave them lol I have test versions of their pedals too. I know them as BMW Pedals, but I guess they are Pedal Haus now.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:51 AM   #36
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Man it would be awesome if it's done before June lol praying it does.

Nah, the one I linked is the final version. I just have that one they made to give them feedback for their final one. This was actually based on a DIY version I gave them lol I have test versions of their pedals too. I know them as BMW Pedals, but I guess they are Pedal Haus now.

Yea odd company name...but if you vouch for it, I’ll give it a stop. I don’t know what most use it for, but bringing the floor of the clutch “up” allows me to hit the bottom of the pedal more often, and therefore helps with my muscle memory as I’m learning
|
|

Old 01-31-2020, 01:16 PM   #37
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
Subscribed, Steel Grey FTW.

Miko_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #38
diegzsz13

My Ride: 2003 325i
Clean build!
diegzsz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:05 AM   #39
Antti

My Ride: 330CI / 316 1.8i
Year: 2005
Model: 330CI M-Sport II
Transmission: Automatic
Good progress and congrulations for manual swap.
Time to replace rear diff with correct one?

I am also searching for 6-speed manual , diff+ etc all which i will need for manual swap.
You said that idler pulley failed and locked.
Was it original or replaced part?
My opinion it is very good thing to replace pulleys/belts when you buy E46. If there is no receipts from p/o.

BMW E46 316 1.8i Sport 2005 Mysticblau metallic /Showroom

Renault Clio RS197 2007 Ultra Red
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #40
YoitsTmac

Not much has changed, getting frustrated that my DME isn't right. Anyone with a manual E46 in the LA area willing to write their VO to my DME? It would be a quick DME swap, write your VO, and swap back.

Still getting some odd no start issues. It happens once every....20-30 starts. It'll crank but not turn on. I don't know what's up. Sometimes pulling the battery off then on or turning to pos 2 a few times before crank will help a start. It seems like a fuel issue, but I don't think fuel pump failures act this way, right? Most recently I did pos 2 about 3 times, then went for crank. I got the engine up and it immediately died. Any ideas? I thought fuel pump failure was an on off switch ie it goes or it doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antti View Post
Good progress and congrulations for manual swap.
Time to replace rear diff with correct one?

I am also searching for 6-speed manual , diff+ etc all which i will need for manual swap.
You said that idler pulley failed and locked.
Was it original or replaced part?
My opinion it is very good thing to replace pulleys/belts when you buy E46. If there is no receipts from p/o.
Thought I replied, it was likely original. It was just poor foresight on my part. No interest in swapping the diff to anything below a 3.15. My launches are insane and cruising RPM isn't insane if you keep it under 80
|
|