AVIN Avant 4 - Installation & First review - Page 20 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Mobile Electronics Forum

Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #381
kd7iwp

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2009 535x
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAdventure View Post
The second question is about the Brightness levels. In the settings, I see a regular brightness setting, and it works reasonably well. There's also a night brightness setting that has absolutely no effect on the brightness level, regardless of when I adjust it. 10 PM last night, sliding it to the top and back to 0 showed no change. I could not find any other setting that would say "use night brightness at these hours" or anything like that with a light sensor. Is this just a vestigial setting? I ask because the screen is too bright at night, and I can't dim it any lower. Anyone know how to change that, or is that a 'feature' for the system? It's running Droid 8 OS, not the latest version (9?).
I also installed mine a few days ago and find it too bright. I'm going to look for a tinted screen protector and see if that helps. I also saw that nighttime brightness setting and it did nothing for me either. My guess was that the normal brightness setting sets it to what you want at the moment and that the night setting would be the brightness it switches to when you turn on the headlights. That said, sliding the slider made no difference.

I do not have the problem you mentioned about the volume dropping after a minute. That would be really frustrating.

These don't seem to have speed-sensitive volume either, do they? I find I'm adjusting the volume much more than I did with my oem radio.
kd7iwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #382
MrAdventure

My Ride: '99 Z3, '00 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7iwp View Post
I also saw that nighttime brightness setting and it did nothing for me either. My guess was that the normal brightness setting sets it to what you want at the moment and that the night setting would be the brightness it switches to when you turn on the headlights. That said, sliding the slider made no difference.

I do not have the problem you mentioned about the volume dropping after a minute. That would be really frustrating.
Let me be clear, I tried changing the nighttime Brightness setting at night, with the headlights on, and it did absolutely nothing.

Also, The volume in the car is at the special "power on" volume beforehand, and then it dips for a few seconds, then goes back up, on its own. I don't understand why it happens, but I know it does. It doesn't happen in my Carplay-Dongle-equipped Pioneer in my Subaru, though.
MrAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #383
Emartin1984

My Ride: 2002 325Ci Convert
Got my Avant 4

Finally after waiting forever for shipping I got it in. Went to do the install and now im stuck because they send me the wrong wiring harness. They sent me 2 of the same harness instead of the one i need. Im so fing mad. Now I probably have to wait another 2 weeks and now my car is taken apart. i Reeeeeallly want to slap someone right now.
Emartin1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #384
nleeumd
OG Fanatic

My Ride: 2006 M3
Year: 2006
Model: M3
Transmission: Manual
Send a message via AIM to nleeumd
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7iwp View Post
I also installed mine a few days ago and find it too bright. I'm going to look for a tinted screen protector and see if that helps. I also saw that nighttime brightness setting and it did nothing for me either. My guess was that the normal brightness setting sets it to what you want at the moment and that the night setting would be the brightness it switches to when you turn on the headlights. That said, sliding the slider made no difference.

These don't seem to have speed-sensitive volume either, do they? I find I'm adjusting the volume much more than I did with my oem radio.
There is an app that you can setup to startup or just press yourself that will dim the screen lower than the lowest setting, this is great for night time driving as I also find the screen to bright at its lowest setting at night.
'12 Porsche 991.1S

Retired (2001 - 2019)
'01 BMW 330Ci | PP/CWP/SP/XE/KVT-915DVD | M3 Lip Spoiler | M3 Strut Bar | Jim Conforti Intake | UUC Sway Bars | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Upgrade | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Foglights | JL Audio Stealth Box | Clears All Around | 18" ASA AR1's | LED Tails | Rearview Keyhole Camera
nleeumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #385
nleeumd
OG Fanatic

My Ride: 2006 M3
Year: 2006
Model: M3
Transmission: Manual
Send a message via AIM to nleeumd
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
Can you elaborate on which camera you went with? And I’m assuming that means you did NOT check the add on box for DVR?

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics mobile app
I did end up getting the Avant Front camera directly from them, but I think you can find them on eBay with a careful search for $15 or so. Its a huge markup, but a lot of their accessories are cheaper sourced elsewhere. The backup camera they have that uses the licenses plate housing is $10 or so on eBay. If anyone wants any, I have extras if you want it.

I ended up getting this rear view camera and mounted it in the trunk handle to the right of the license plate light
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
'12 Porsche 991.1S

Retired (2001 - 2019)
'01 BMW 330Ci | PP/CWP/SP/XE/KVT-915DVD | M3 Lip Spoiler | M3 Strut Bar | Jim Conforti Intake | UUC Sway Bars | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Upgrade | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Foglights | JL Audio Stealth Box | Clears All Around | 18" ASA AR1's | LED Tails | Rearview Keyhole Camera
nleeumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #386
vancehollinger

My Ride: BMW E46 4-door Sedan
Can this AVIN unit with DSP? I'm interested in buying a new 9 inch head unit for my e39 which has DSP , I had one from Eonon but it did not work, I returned it to the seller for refund, now i found another unit from XTRONS which has a different user interface, PQ7939BIP, really like the design, but I'm wondering if it will work with eonon extension cable a0582 that I have installed in my car, as well as radio antenna. Also I plan on using the resler interface for the dsp features. Any idea if xtrons unit is compatible with my connector which is located in the boot of the car? photo of the connector from my car attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77007726_2306712229437399_2623970326295347200_n.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	787809  

Last edited by vancehollinger; 11-12-2019 at 03:30 AM.
vancehollinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #387
vancehollinger

XTRONS new E46 radio

Can this AVIN unit with DSP? I'm interested in buying a new 9 inch head unit for my e39 which has DSP , I had one from Eonon but it did not work, I returned it to the seller for refund, now i found another unit from XTRONS which has a different user interface, PQ7939BIP, really like the design, but I'm wondering if it will work with eonon extension cable a0582 that I have installed in my car, as well as radio antenna. Also I plan on using the resler interface for the dsp features. Any idea if xtrons unit is compatible with my connector which is located in the boot of the car?

Last edited by vancehollinger; 11-12-2019 at 03:31 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:59 AM   #388
skylink

My Ride: E46
What E46 had DSP?
skylink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:41 AM   #389
vancehollinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylink View Post
What E46 had DSP?
Mine is E39. sorry, i confused the thread with my parter's E46
Old 11-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #390
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancehollinger View Post
Mine is E39. sorry, i confused the thread with my parter's E46
Any of the Android systems will work with factory DSP as long as you have the Rolf Resler iBus adapter and app with the DSP license. My E53 has DSP and works perfectly with my Avin Avant-4.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Overboost; 11-12-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Overboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #391
umichchris

My Ride: M3
can anyone help me solve my ground feedback loop problem????

no matter what i do, i have feedback in my audio cables whenever the car is running and the feedback is tuned directly to the RPM of the motor. Here are my system specifics after install:

- Avin Avant 4 with the updated processor. ibus, wireless carplay, backup camera
- i removed all interior speakers and replaced the fronts with Infinity Kappa Perfect components - same in the rear
- im running a 4 channel Infinity Kappa 4 channel Amp
- i built my own custom 10" box running an infinity kappa 12 and a monoblock amp driving it
- the RCA cables are Rockford Fosgate twisted pair and ive got them running on the opposite side of the power line (running down the driver's side)
- the amp ground cable is directly secured to the frame of the vehicle (same ground as the vehicle battery)

i know there's an issue coming from the head unit because my 4 channel amplifier has a bluetooth interface that allows me to connect my phone directly to it and play music w/o a head unit. when i do this, there is zero feedback (however, this is less than ideal for daily driving use/convenience)

here are the things ive done in my attempts to mitigate the feedback thus far w/o any positive results:
- installed ground loop limiters between the RCA cables and the head unit w/ hard-wired additional ground - this made things worse so i removed them
- upgraded the cables twice, increasing in shield rating (and price) - things got slightly better, but i spoke directly with Rockford Fosgate and they think no cable manufactured can remove the remaining feedback
- i connected directly with Avin and they recommended adding an additional ground to the main head unit harness. i completed that but there was zero effect.

at this point, im ready to uninstall the head unit and buy something else. i have no idea whats left. does anyone on this long thread have their head unit connected to a 4 channel amp? have you experienced these issues? how did you solve them?

things im going to try before giving up and selling the unit:
- im going to try another mounting point for the amp ground, maybe on the other side of the trunk - im doubtful this will have an impact
- at SEMA a manufacturer suggested that i ground the RCA cables by soldering on a ground wire directly to the outer cable and connect it to the frame (seems extreme but ill try anything)

Last edited by umichchris; 11-16-2019 at 02:13 PM.
umichchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #392
SmokeyDP

My Ride: 2001 M3
I had this issue with a few head units. I took a wire and installed a circular screw connector on each side then attached it with a self-tapping screw into the circular frame behind the radio. The other end I attach to any existing screw on the radio chassis and this has 100% resolved the issue. I had the same ground issue with Enon, Sony and Avin.

:
Schrick cams - AFE intake - Custom Tune - Supersprint full exhaust - Evosport pulleys - UUC Evo 3 short shift kit - Brembo 14" BBK brake kit - Euro rear floating rotors - TC Kline Double Adjustable coilovers - Vorshlag caster/camber plates - Adjustable rear camber arms - Black 2005 competition package interior - Vorsteiner CSL front bumper - 19" CSL wheels
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #393
SLracer

My Ride: '06 330Ci ZHP
I recently got my Avin 4 all installed in my car and have been having a really hard time getting the Wireless Carplay running, anyone else having this issue or have any tips? I have used all the guides on Avin's site and still cannot get it to connect. I have the black dongle, wired works fine, but when I switch to wireless I can connect to Bluetooth (while disconnected with the normal headunit bluetooth). Once connected to Bluetooth I get the screen "Connecting Ensure WiFi is On" but it always fails. Any ideas?

Also I have started messing with the IBus stuff and am a little overwhelmed with all the options. My favorites that I have found so far are the "comfort blink", auto unlock when ignition off, and Brake Force Display. Anyone have other recommendations for someone new to this interface on which features are nice?

Thanks!
SLracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #394
umichchris

thanks for this, i will try this next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyDP View Post
I had this issue with a few head units. I took a wire and installed a circular screw connector on each side then attached it with a self-tapping screw into the circular frame behind the radio. The other end I attach to any existing screw on the radio chassis and this has 100% resolved the issue. I had the same ground issue with Enon, Sony and Avin.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #395
umichchris

i had this issue, turns out you need a few extra things for it to work.

- download the carplay app for android head units like the Avin Avant 4
- you have to go into the Siri settings on your iphone to enable carplay

once youve done that, you have to go into the CarPlay app settings and turn on bluetooth/wireless streaming capability vs hard wired only

i had no idea it was so involved until i opened a ticket with Avin help site and they provided a PDF of the process. ive attached it as well for quick reference..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLracer View Post
I recently got my Avin 4 all installed in my car and have been having a really hard time getting the Wireless Carplay running, anyone else having this issue or have any tips? I have used all the guides on Avin's site and still cannot get it to connect. I have the black dongle, wired works fine, but when I switch to wireless I can connect to Bluetooth (while disconnected with the normal headunit bluetooth). Once connected to Bluetooth I get the screen "Connecting Ensure WiFi is On" but it always fails. Any ideas?

Also I have started messing with the IBus stuff and am a little overwhelmed with all the options. My favorites that I have found so far are the "comfort blink", auto unlock when ignition off, and Brake Force Display. Anyone have other recommendations for someone new to this interface on which features are nice?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AutoPlay Setting function operating manual 20190529.pdf (2.04 MB, 12 views)

Last edited by umichchris; 11-18-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:21 AM   #396
SLracer

Thanks umichris, unfortunately I have gone through that PDF multiple times and it doesn't seem to fix my issue. I can go all the way through step 10 and tell it to manually pair but I still get the failed message following screen 6 (Connecting Blue Circle). When you say you need to go into Siri settings and enable CarPlay do you mean the setting found under Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps > CarPlay? I am not finding any settings in Siri that talk about CarPlay. Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 02:04 AM   #397
umichchris

got into the following menu:

settings > general > Car Play >

here if things are all set up and running (youve installed the app on the radio and your bluetooth is active/on on your phone) then you should see the head unit/dongle.

on my car, the name of the unit is "AutoPlay-deeb" i clicked that and it connected. from that point forward it auto connects each time i start the car. try that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLracer View Post
Thanks umichris, unfortunately I have gone through that PDF multiple times and it doesn't seem to fix my issue. I can go all the way through step 10 and tell it to manually pair but I still get the failed message following screen 6 (Connecting Blue Circle). When you say you need to go into Siri settings and enable CarPlay do you mean the setting found under Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps > CarPlay? I am not finding any settings in Siri that talk about CarPlay. Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM   #398
SLracer

Thanks again, yea I can see it all setup on the CarPlay tab in the phone and I can move the buttons around and it ends up reflected when i connect the phone but unfortunately still no joy on wireless. I tried the Apple troubleshooting this morning by forgetting the car and bluetooth and starting over with no luck. Next step may be to uninstall the app and start fresh on that end. I am getting a message that says "abnormal connection" which is vaguely mentioned in that PDF but doesn't say anything about how to fix it.