Bilstein Sport -rear shocks continually FAIL - Replace with E36 M3 shock??! - Page 11 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #201
Rob43

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Left rear shock blew out today. Looks like I got a solid 14 months out of the updated updated rears. This is pathetic.

I am not happy. This is three weeks after I went to do a spring change and found out my front struts were blown too! So I took them apart to change the springs, took them apart to swap in warrantied struts, and now have to take them apart to swap in Konis.

Do yourself a favor and buy Koni

Kubica, take a look at this thread I wrote,.........it you haven't purchased yet, consider the GC "Super" Koni's with rear adjust-ability. They have a lot of advantages over the regular koni's.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1036522

Rob43

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #202
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Kubica, take a look at this thread I wrote,.........it you haven't purchased yet, consider the GC "Super" Koni's with rear adjust-ability. They have a lot of advantages over the regular koni's.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1036522

Rob43
Hmmm...I wonder if the GC rear Konis are the same ones that TCKline sells?

I am not a big fan of Ground Control.

Larger diameter is attractive, however I'd rather adjust from under the car. I hate taking apart the trunk.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #203
Rob43

Quote:
Hmmm...I wonder if the GC rear Konis are the same ones that TCKline sells?

They're very similar, but they both have slightly different valving.

I am not a big fan of Ground Control.

That's to bad, I've always found them to be an excellent company to deal with.

Larger diameter is attractive, however I'd rather adjust from under the car. I hate taking apart the trunk.
You're the very first person I've ever heard say that they'd rather go under the car to unbolt each shock body to turn it for adjustment, then bolt them back together to see if that worked. You could always cut a small "U" shaped flap in the carpet right where the shock dial is located, this way your carpet could be pushed back in place.

If I were you I would consider calling GC & having a 5 minute talk with them, you'll know one way or the other.

Good luck in your decision,
Rob43

(DynoDynamics
Dyno Video)

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.

Last edited by Rob43; 11-05-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #204
Kubica

Quote:
You're the very first person I've ever heard say that they'd rather go under the car to unbolt each shock body to turn it for adjustment, then bolt them back together to see if that worked. You could always cut a small "U" shaped flap in the carpet right where the shock dial is located, this way your carpet could be pushed back in place.

If I were you I would consider calling GC & having a 5 minute talk with them, you'll know one way or the other.

Good luck in your decision,
Rob43
Actually it looks like the regular rear Konis need to come off the car to adjust them?

What parts do I need for the rear Konis? OEM dust boots and that small washer? Do they come with a top nut and lower washer like the Bilshits?
Old 05-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #205
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Konis don't have adjustment knobs for the rears. You don't have to remove them from the car to adjust but it sure makes it easier. You will need to unbolt the lower mount though. Essentially, you compress the unit and twist the bottom to adjust.

You need OEM dust boots and the lower mount bolt. I don't think they come with any mounting hardware.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #206
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Konis don't have adjustment knobs for the rears. You don't have to remove them from the car to adjust but it sure makes it easier. You will need to unbolt the lower mount though. Essentially, you compress the unit and twist the bottom to adjust.

You need OEM dust boots and the lower mount bolt. I don't think they come with any mounting hardware.
They don't come with top nuts?

Do I use the oem bump stop with the oem dust boot? I think you have to use the oem bumpstop otherwise the the dust boots won't locate correctly. IF that is the case, wouldn't the bumpstops prevent the shock from being fully compressed to adjust while still on the car (or with the RSM still bolted to the shock)?

I ordered two e36 M3 rear Konis from FCP. They price matched Bavauto, even though they don't really carry Konis. They also price matched ECS on a front knuckle.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #207
SamDoe1

I honestly don't remember if they came with top nuts or not.

Yes, use the OE bump stops and boots. And yes you are right that you would have to remove from the car if you leave the bump stops in place in order to fully compress. I only adjusted them once and that was before I installed in the car. I was happy with it at that point and never really dealt with it after.

Why did you order the E36 rears vs the E46 ones?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #208
pjaneiro

My Ride: 2004 330IX
OK so I'm my fifth....YES FIFTH set of HD's, and I AM PISSED, so I'm either going back to stock, (they did last 90 000kms) or going with something else...car is not lowered, so what are my options for a nicer stiffer ride but won't go kablewie in 15000 kms ?

Thanks guys
pjaneiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #209
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
I guess if e36 M3 shocks are the best choice, Sachs would do as well for $62 each at numerous places.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #210
Kubica

Bump for the new guys considering bilstein shocks.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:50 PM   #211
pjaneiro

My Ride: 2004 330IX
Still looking around for a new set of rear shocks, not going back to bilstein, and konis are not available in my area for a decent price

Anybody have other suggestions to bilsteins ?

Thanks
pjaneiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #212
andrey_gta

My Ride: 128
Hi Guys

So I plowed through this mega thread. Awesome info on the M3 e36 rears as a XI shock for mostly Sports spring.

My car is e46 325xi Non-sport with leaky rears

Have a few questions:
1) Any more reviews with OEM Stock nonSport Spring + e36m3 shock? The reviews seem slightly mixed. I dont want a floaty/confused car with OEM front non sport suspension

2) Has anyone used a different Brand e36 m3 rear shock?
eg Koni
or OEM or SACHS
or even that ebay STAGG brand who have beefy rear shocks via - http://www.brandcarparts.com/shocks-struts-bmw-m3

3) Has anyone used the e46 m3 rears? Are they longer than e36 m3 rears?

Last edited by andrey_gta; 11-05-2014 at 04:34 PM.
andrey_gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #213
Rob43

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Hi Guys

So I plowed through this mega thread. Awesome info on the M3 e36 rears as a XI shock for mostly Sports spring.

Have a few questions:
1) Any more reviews with OEM Stock nonSport Spring + e36m3 shock? The reviews seem slightly mixed. I dont want a floaty/confused car with OEM front non sport suspension

eg Koni
or OEM or SACHS
or even that ebay STAGG brand who have beefy rear shocks via - http://www.brandcarparts.com/shocks-struts-bmw-m3

I have a secret about struts & E36 M3 shocks.....

Rob43

(DynoDynamics
Dyno Video)

Quote:

Last edited by Rob43; 11-05-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #214
SamDoe1

Quote:
Hi Guys

Have a few questions:

eg Koni
or OEM or SACHS

There's no difference between the xi sport and the non sport in regards to suspension. It's an appearance package only. I'm guessing you didn't read this thread in its entirety nor did you read the stickied link in this forum because they answer all of these questions and more. Please do that and then ask questions if you still have them.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-05-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #215
Kubica

Quote:
Hi Guys

Have a few questions:

eg Koni
or OEM or SACHS

#2 was answered literally six posts above yours.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #216
andrey_gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
There's no difference between the xi sport and the non sport in regards to suspension. It's an appearance package only. I'm guessing you didn't read this thread in its entirety nor did you read the stickied link in this forum because they answer all of these questions and more. Please do that and then ask questions if you still have them.
I got through 9 pages of it, I guess this is what i get for jumping the 2 page gap...

What did I miss?
If you say OEM e46 XI rear Sport/ non sport differed in only the spring, and the OEM rear shocks dont differ in length. If so Good. ( EDIT just read that 1 xi susp set in Sticky page 6)

I know the e9x suspension inside and out, sadly not enough about the e46. ( find me via bimmerpost. I also have a vested interest in e36/e46 rears for complete e9xM3 rear arms conversion - TCK and GC make it work using e36 e46 koni extAdjust shocks)

Quote:
#2 was answered literally six posts above yours.
You mean the part number updates- as in all are XI Bilstien are the e36M3 now, and share the e36M part number? and the warranty gives you a extra beefier special shock? Great stuff.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=184

Some one else mentioned e36 rears dont ride so well on OEM springs. Is it true, i saw 1-2 mentions of that here

Quote:
I have a secret about struts & E36 M3 shocks.....
Are you referring to the post with a link you posted, and the post from the Stky thread here with you sayign e36 shocks must be used always.

Slightly off topic. Mostly for those with Lowering springs
I know external adjustable Koni have been used by GC and TCK, sometimes custom valved ( TCK). Also the Koni external Adjustable Porsche rear was used by GC/ TCK occasionally, but its shorter...
There is also GAZ e36 rears External Adjustable for only 100/each

Or do you know about the KYB AKG external adjustable shock from Ford focus mk1 used by the Celica/Supra mk3 crowd with rave reviews on any spring they tried? Yes a $60-70 shock that performs on a car as heavy as BMW and RWD. At the price its tempting to try for XI.

And if your really low- Camaro shocks used by e30 crowd

Last edited by andrey_gta; 11-05-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #217
Rob43

Quote:

Or do you know about the KYB AKG external adjustable shock from Ford focus mk1 used by the Celica/Supra mk3 crowd with rave reviews on any spring they tried? Yes a $60-70 shock that performs on a car as heavy as BMW and RWD. At the price its tempting to try for XI....

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6#post16398586

Rob43

(DynoDynamics
Dyno Video)

Quote:
Old 11-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #218
andrey_gta

Quote:
Nice maybe this is a good rear KYB AGX shock

Last edited by andrey_gta; 11-07-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #219
andrey_gta

Update - i settled on gently Used e46 m3 rear shocks for ~100. They are up to 10mm more in diameter than stock e46 xi rears. the car is a daily driver of my fathers so I didnt want to go super fancy and do bilstien.

Thanks for the help. Look me up if you have e9x e8x questions

Last edited by andrey_gta; 11-13-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #220
Kubica

Quote:
Left rear shock blew out today. Looks like I got a solid 14 months out of the updated updated rears. This is pathetic.

I am not happy. This is three weeks after I went to do a spring change and found out my front struts were blown too! So I took them apart to change the springs, took them apart to swap in warrantied struts, and now have to take them apart to swap in Konis.

Do yourself a favor and buy Koni
Managed to blow out another front bilstein. They were just installed brand new in November. FCP is going to take them back and special order another set of front Konis.

I actually had the complete strut assemblies built up for winter use by one of the best techs in the business, with all new components, not even six months ago. Nothing else has failed on the car all winter besides a window switch and a brake caliper. The bilsteins (I got lazy and left the rear Konis on all winter) were literally the newest part on the car and managed to fail. Oh- and the one that failed is bolted to a whole new front left corner- knuckle, bearing, brakes, axle, etc.

From now on...it's all Konis, all the time. Bilstein is a complete waste of everyone's time. I should have dumped the warrantied set of bilsteins on Craigslist and bought one extra set of front Konis for winter.

Hard failed front strut is no joke- it's windy and I'm getting tossed around.