Style 135 on e46 330xi - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Tire & Wheel Forum

Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #1
Himera

My Ride: 330xi
Hello! I've been looking to get a pair of style 135s for my e46 since I bought the car, but now I got a decent offer on used ones, recently repainted just like I wanted them. The size guide on the driver's door suggests 8Jx18 ET47 front and 8.5Jx18 ET50 for back. The rims match that. However, I'll be buying the rims with newish tyres, where the back ones don't match what the guide says. The fronts are 225/40 R18 like they should be, but the back ones are 235/35 R18. The guide states that I need 255/35 R18 in the back. Since I don't want to waste the tyres, and wouldn't want to spend a ton of money this year for new ones, I'd like to know if those will give me any troubles or damage to the car. It's a 330xi 2000 without stock sport package.
Thanks in advance!

Edit: also I would like to know how can I spot fake rims (i.e. where should they be made etc.) I live in Europe if that matters.

Last edited by Himera; 01-26-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Himera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:48 PM   #2
Nuggets

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
It's going to be more stretched than normal with the 235/35. You can still run them but obviusly replace them with 255s once you need to replace the tires. You can always buy some cheap used 255/35 R18s for the time being, a shop might be able to install them at a discount if you give them the rear tires. I would call around some tire shops and see what they can do.

That wheel and tire setup of those are ironically more of a square setup which I've heard is safer to run on AWD. If you want them and theyre in good condition I say go for them
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
Himera

Hey thanks for the info! I actually didn't get a response for quite some time, so I decided to find a set without tyres. Sadly I got a bit scammed, the seller said there were no cracks or bends, and when I was buying them I didn't see any. Was buying them after work hours and it was quite dark, so I missed a tiny crack. Nevertheless, at least they were straight, got the crack fixed, had them repainted. Crossing fingers that the weld will hold, had it done by a professional. It's about 1 inch crack. Here's a picture of the newly painted rims:

https://imgur.com/NIoTpRA

The only problem now is finding tyres, due to the epidemic we've been cut short here.

Last edited by Himera; 03-30-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 06:24 AM   #4
Nuggets

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
They look phenominal! Nice color choice. You don't see much of the style 135's being painted bronze. They don't look overdone or too flashy. I wouldn't worry about the crack either. Wheel cracks that are professionally repaired are generally safe. Cracks are usually filed and filled with an aluminum type of weld that bonds super solid. Regardless, I'm curious to see how they sit on your car. Definitely post a follow-up photo on car after this corona **** is over. Cheers
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:47 AM   #5
dutchhome

My Ride: 2004 330xi
We have the ZHP rims (staggered) on our 2004 xi (with sport package). They look and work great. Regarding tires, the people at tirerack gave me recommended sizes to use.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:54 AM   #6
Himera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
They look phenominal! Nice color choice. You don't see much of the style 135's being painted bronze. They don't look overdone or too flashy. I wouldn't worry about the crack either. Wheel cracks that are professionally repaired are generally safe. Cracks are usually filed and filled with an aluminum type of weld that bonds super solid. Regardless, I'm curious to see how they sit on your car. Definitely post a follow-up photo on car after this corona **** is over. Cheers
Yeah, I was trying to go for exactly that, not a lot of flash, yet something different. Will stick great to my dark blue matte wrap lol
Old 05-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #7
Himera

Hey! Finally managed to get new tyres and put them on the rims. Here's a fast picture I took of the car with the new rims:

https://imgur.com/EJP1Zvp

They look even better when they're as dirty as the car

On the second day somebody stole my tyre caps, poor guys, can't afford 2$ caps, had to order new ones, hopefully nobody's going to steal my 2nd set lol

Last edited by Himera; 05-09-2020 at 05:34 PM.