Lower balljoint questions - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2020, 01:46 PM   #1
Swedishdiesel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Lower balljoint questions

Hey guys, new member and first post. Is there any good DIY when replacing the balljoint? Any tips?
I did replace mine earlier but it feels a bit stiff could i have Done something wrong? It was some weird cap and a ring but those broke
Ill post somepics if you do not understand


Thanks!
Swedishdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:48 PM   #2
That325xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1
Post some pictures was it full control arm? I have learn that when tightening the bushing part to do so on the ground otherwise you are putting more stress on the bushing

Last edited by That325xi; 01-23-2020 at 08:51 PM.
That325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:00 AM   #3
Brewtus79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 198
My Ride: M3 Vert, 330xi, X5
Year: 2002
Model: M3, 330xi, F15 X5
Transmission: 6 spd manuals
Not sure what you're talking about with caps and rings or the "lower" ball joint. There is an inner and outer ball joint. The outer is integral to the control arm so most people buy a whole new control arm. The inner can be replaced by itself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brewtus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-24-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
77'911
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishdiesel View Post
Hey guys, new member and first post. Is there any good DIY when replacing the balljoint? Any tips?
I did replace mine earlier but it feels a bit stiff could i have Done something wrong? It was some weird cap and a ring but those broke
Ill post somepics if you do not understand


Thanks!
You might get yourself a copy of the bentley manual. I just replaced all the ball joints, lower control arms, and bushings on our car. It's not a terrible job, but I have a low rise lift and 20 ton shop press. The lower control arm bushings are a tight press to be sure.
regards
77'911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #5
jmo69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,682
My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
There are DIYs to replace the outer ball joint on the control arm, same for the control arm bushings. There are links in my signature. A press of some sort is necessary for both operations along with a good air chisel. What you save on parts will pay for the tools.
__________________
Alternative to expensive xi control arm bushings
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Bad outer xi ball joint?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #6
Brewtus79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 198
My Ride: M3 Vert, 330xi, X5
Year: 2002
Model: M3, 330xi, F15 X5
Transmission: 6 spd manuals
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
There are DIYs to replace the outer ball joint on the control arm, same for the control arm bushings. There are links in my signature. A press of some sort is necessary for both operations along with a good air chisel. What you save on parts will pay for the tools.
I saw it was possible to replace the outer ball joint and not the entire control arm before I did these repairs earlier this year, but never really considered trying it. This maybe bc in all my searching for various parts I never came across just the outer ball joint. Where from do you source them?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brewtus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:14 AM   #7
Swedishdiesel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
This is how i looks after i pressed it did just like anything else but the arrow i think points forward or slightly inwards, something really not sure -.-
but i wild not press it put correct i think because first the inside came out and after that i pressed out some "bottomsleeve or something " is the any problems or do you think im a totalt ok mechanic? ;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E2AC45A-E6A1-4B25-9050-AE8DA8467255_1579932604852.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	792275  

Last edited by Swedishdiesel; 01-25-2020 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Some emojis that could not be posted
Swedishdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:17 AM   #8
Swedishdiesel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Im orderingång everything from autodoc or some Other cheap sides its totally ok, think that the balljoint maybe go for lite 5-15 euro from Germany,
not the best site to boy from if u dont really make an extra check of what you need but works just make some measurements and Control it to what you need ;D

Last edited by Swedishdiesel; 01-25-2020 at 01:28 AM.
Swedishdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:53 PM   #9
TobyB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: car-nation
Posts: 1,629
My Ride: 2004xit, 2001ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtus79 View Post
I saw it was possible to replace the outer ball joint and not the entire control arm before I did these repairs earlier this year, but never really considered trying it. This maybe bc in all my searching for various parts I never came across just the outer ball joint. Where from do you source them?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Late E36 ball joints, I've read on the internet...

t
__________________
Quote:
"I'm sorry. I actually had to poop and ended up breaking the car."
- Hot Tub
TobyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #10
Brewtus79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 198
My Ride: M3 Vert, 330xi, X5
Year: 2002
Model: M3, 330xi, F15 X5
Transmission: 6 spd manuals
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB View Post
Late E36 ball joints, I've read on the internet...



t
Thanks T.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brewtus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:19 AM   #11
jmo69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,682
My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtus79 View Post
I saw it was possible to replace the outer ball joint and not the entire control arm before I did these repairs earlier this year, but never really considered trying it. This maybe bc in all my searching for various parts I never came across just the outer ball joint. Where from do you source them?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You need to use a non M e36 outer ball joint, FCP sells the Meyle HDs for about $18 each. Part# 31126758510 https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-31126758510my
__________________
Alternative to expensive xi control arm bushings
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Bad outer xi ball joint?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jmo69; 01-29-2020 at 12:24 AM.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:29 AM   #12
jmo69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,682
My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishdiesel View Post
This is how i looks after i pressed it did just like anything else but the arrow i think points forward or slightly inwards, something really not sure -.-
but i wild not press it put correct i think because first the inside came out and after that i pressed out some "bottomsleeve or something " is the any problems or do you think im a totalt ok mechanic? ;
The ball joints I use don't have any arrows because they are centered. Supposedly the originals were offset but I don't remember seeing any marks to align them with. I wasn't looking for them either. I use centered e36 M3 bushings too.
__________________
Alternative to expensive xi control arm bushings
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Bad outer xi ball joint?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:04 PM   #13
Brewtus79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 198
My Ride: M3 Vert, 330xi, X5
Year: 2002
Model: M3, 330xi, F15 X5
Transmission: 6 spd manuals
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
You need to use a non M e36 outer ball joint, FCP sells the Meyle HDs for about $18 each. Part# 31126758510 https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-31126758510my
Thanks jmo. Hopefully I have no cause to replace them anytime soon. If so, maybe I'll go this route. Always seemed nonsensical to have to replace the entire control arm just for a ball joint.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brewtus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:21 PM   #14
jmo69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,682
My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtus79 View Post
Thanks jmo. Hopefully I have no cause to replace them anytime soon. If so, maybe I'll go this route. Always seemed nonsensical to have to replace the entire control arm just for a ball joint.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
After replacing arms for a member here I kept his old ones as payment for the work done. Changed both arms and bushings, an axle and swapped out the front dif fluid. 2 used arms isn't overcharging so I always have a set ready to have ball joints pressed in.
__________________
Alternative to expensive xi control arm bushings
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Bad outer xi ball joint?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:45 PM   #15
Pennred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1
JMO69, how far did the centered bushings and balljoints pull your alignment out? Was it adjustable within the normal adjusters, or was a caster plate needed?
Pennred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:20 PM   #16
jmo69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,682
My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennred View Post
JMO69, how far did the centered bushings and balljoints pull your alignment out? Was it adjustable within the normal adjusters, or was a caster plate needed?
It just affected the toe, the caster was negligible and doesn't affect anything negatively, if anything it improves handling.
__________________
Alternative to expensive xi control arm bushings
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Bad outer xi ball joint?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.