Xi Lowering / Have Your Cake & Eat It Too - Page 19 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #361
EvaJuli

My Ride: E46 325XiT
5 years later and we finally find out the secret sauce is from a pickup truck.
EvaJuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:26 PM   #362
wfx32

My Ride: 330xi (04/05)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaJuli View Post
5 years later and we finally find out the secret sauce is from a pickup truck.
i know very disappointing. maybe the idea came from the first e46fanatics effort: this is just wrong
wfx32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:30 AM   #363
Cooolone

My Ride: 330XI
There is honestly no "secret" other than those kept. The insanely ridiculous mentality that someone told me this or that, but I can't tell you lunacy that tried to replicate some corporate "trade secret"... Well... Is just about the silliest thing I've seen in a very long time!

Something in all my years of working on cars, engines, etc., I've never seen before. Now approaching 4 decades.

As a matter of fact, the "sharing" or distribution of information/communication is partly the entire concept of the "internet"... The old bulletin board days, just wow! Anyways, no secrets, measure the length of the stock suspension, length of travel, match mounts, and whoola! What others have done before, then share with you, just economises your efforts and saves you from suffering the same pitfalls as those who have gone before . I tune my engine on a different platform and the "community" is much more forthright. That is a benefit to all others without personal gain other than recognition and thanks.

Maybe now that the person to who all secrets were promised to is obviously out of the game, those who have experience and information will share more readily to the benefit of others. Lol

Last edited by Cooolone; 07-09-2019 at 04:32 AM.
Cooolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #364
Jimmy_B

My Ride: 2003 330xi Dinan S1
Well, TireRack came through, my springs and shocks are on their way I'm excited to get moving

Question for those with adjustable Koni's: Where should I set the initial adjustment? This is a semi-daily driver, on potholed DC roads, so while I want half-decent handling I don't want it at the expense of a teeth-jarring ride - which was the reason for choosing Koni / Eibach vs the various alternatives.
Jimmy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #365
76m2002

My Ride: 2002 325iT
I divide the sweep of the Koni's into 180 degree increments. From full soft I believe you get 5 sweeps of 180 degrees. I'd suggest setting you Koni's at a setting of "1", meaning 180 degrees from full soft. Drive it for a week, then turn them to "4". My hunch is you'll want them somewhere around "2"-"3". You can fine tune to smaller changes, but these are good starting points. When I used the Koni sport shocks with B&G springs, which are fairly equivalent to the Eibachs, I noticed excess body roll at the end of a turn. Turns out the springs were overpowering the shocks, and I fixed this by increasing the stiffness of the shock.

Last edited by 76m2002; 07-09-2019 at 08:42 AM.
76m2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #366
dlmrun2002

My Ride: 325xit
I was wondering if there is a stiffer spring made by BMW that would work on an Xi with Koni's. Or does Eibach offer multiple springs for an Xi. That would give you some options for your handling specs.
dlm ny country
dlmrun2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #367
wfx32

My Ride: 330xi (04/05)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
I was wondering if there is a stiffer spring made by BMW that would work on an Xi with Koni's. Or does Eibach offer multiple springs for an Xi. That would give you some options for your handling specs.
dlm ny country
http://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAm...port-(Yellow)/

Quote:
What are the best springs to match my KONIs?
One of the great advantages of KONI adjustable shocks is that there is no specific spring for matching optimum performance. Instead you can adjust your KONIs to match your springs. Most performance springs have a higher spring rate than the vehicle's original springs. Since the shock controls the motion of the spring, increased spring rates require more rebound damping for control and that is one of the reasons why KONIs are rebound adjustable (and some are double adjustable). Using higher rate springs with OE or soft shocks will very quickly overcome and wear out the shocks. The KONI adjustment range is typically about 100% (twice as firm at the full firm settings at the full soft setting) to allow for proper damping of OE springs and high rate performance springs.
koni website says their adjustable shocks will work with both regular and lowering springs. i think that leaves it open for experimentation.. eibach pro kit and h&r sport are obvious first and second choices because they were designed specifically for the E46 AWD, but then there the some E46 RWD springs that may work?

personally i would like to try springs from the M3 in all three chassis (E36, E46, E90) but i am not sure which are going to work. i would love to hear if anyone has already tried those.
wfx32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #368
dlmrun2002

My Ride: 325xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfx32 View Post
http://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAm...port-(Yellow)/

koni website says their adjustable shocks will work with both regular and lowering springs. i think that leaves it open for experimentation.. eibach pro kit and h&r sport are obvious first and second choices because they were designed specifically for the E46 AWD, but then there the some E46 RWD springs that may work?

personally i would like to try springs from the M3 in all three chassis (E36, E46, E90) but i am not sure which are going to work. i would love to hear if anyone has already tried those.
That is what I'm thinking too. Good to know about Koni adjustables can be "semi-tuned" to different springs(rates).

dlm ny country
dlmrun2002 is offline   Reply With Quote