$200 rwd conversion - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #41
Marco335
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 103
So when I do this weld I am basically making the ring gear and planetary gearset spin as one unit?


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Marco335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #42
Manchicle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 121
My Ride: 330xi, 330i, 135i
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco335 View Post
So when I do this weld I am basically making the ring gear and planetary gearset spin as one unit?


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Exactly. It'll also bring along the front-drive portion of the gears, so the output flange pointing back towards the engine will still spin (and drive). You could theoretically put the front driveshaft in and still be 4wd in a straight line. Good luck taking a turn with no center diff though. Its just all locked together.
Manchicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #43
Dogthebountyhunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Philly
Posts: 1,007
My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
Very cool, The only thing I like about my xi is the handling in the snow and rain. Any other time I kinda wish I bought a rwd for the fun factor. Great experiment, perfect if someone wanted to track a budget xi for fun.
Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #44
Manchicle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 121
My Ride: 330xi, 330i, 135i
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogthebountyhunter View Post
Very cool, The only thing I like about my xi is the handling in the snow and rain. Any other time I kinda wish I bought a rwd for the fun factor. Great experiment, perfect if someone wanted to track a budget xi for fun.
Bingo
Manchicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:13 AM   #45
Justinz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 349
My Ride: N54
Dope, don't listen to all the haters.
Thanks for sharing!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Justinz; 05-06-2017 at 01:13 AM.
Justinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #46
WilloCO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 656
My Ride: '05 330xi 6 speed
Hmm, Wouldn't this be easier if you got a spare output shaft and welded up a custom locking plate?
Short version: Remove the front drive shaft, pull the output shaft, weld a locking plate (maybe something that could bold around the Tcase, or to the mounting bolt) then you can just crawl under and convert at will.

Just a thought...
__________________
Quote:
I bedded my pads when I switched from ceramic to my PDF-Z pads. They actually caught fire during bed in.
05 330xi 6 speed
RIP: 86 e30 w/E36 M3 suspension build
WilloCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #47
rumbleseat
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Maine
Posts: 2
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchicle View Post
I've been working on a little side project and I've finally made enough progress to post about it here. I picked up a junkyard transfer case and welded up the planetary gearset inside. Not the prettiest welds, but there are more than enough throughout, and the final re-sealed diff spun smooth as new. With a locked center diff, I can run without a front driveshaft and enjoy the RWD. I swapped it in this afternoon and had a very successful ride home. No noise or vibrations way beyond highway cruising speed plus all the perks of rwd (noticeable power bump, oversteer under throttle, slip when I wanted it). DSC wasn't too happy with me when I did mess around, even with it "disabled", but I risked a few clutch dumps in the rain and got plenty of standing wheelspin. I'm going to unplug the unit soon and see what it can really do. The plan for now is to leave the front diff and axles in, the idea being to swap the old transfer case back when I put my snow tires on. But you never know...



Awesome! We are race prepping a 2003 325xi and I feel certain we will, at some point, find this mighty useful.

Yes, pride in pulling it off on your own. Carry on!

Cheers,
Bob
rumbleseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:53 PM   #48
EvaJuli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 196
My Ride: E46 325XiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilloCO View Post
Hmm, Wouldn't this be easier if you got a spare output shaft and welded up a custom locking plate?
Short version: Remove the front drive shaft, pull the output shaft, weld a locking plate (maybe something that could bold around the Tcase, or to the mounting bolt) then you can just crawl under and convert at will.

Just a thought...

Hmm....this is an interesting thought.
Leave front diff and CV shafts in place, remove front drive shaft and figure out how to lock the front output flange to the TC- the 4 bolt flange with the red plug in the center of the image.




EvaJuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #49
Manchicle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 121
My Ride: 330xi, 330i, 135i
Transmission: 6MT
Appreciate it, guys.

As for this new design, you are correct, in principal. Holding the front output flange will ultimately send 100% of the torque to the rear. However, I see a few potential flaws.

The most glaring issue is the resulting gear reduction. I don't have it in me to do the math, but I'm thinking the ratio would be extreme. In my design, the power passes straight through with no differential action and no change in input/output rpms. By essentially holding the sun gear and putting power through the carrier, you're gonna work the planetary gears and spin the ring gear significantly faster than the trans output speed. A slight difference would be manageable, akin to moving to a higher rear diff ratio, but I have a feeling that the results from this mod would shorten the gears far to much for practical use.

Second, like I sad earlier, you'd be working that diff like crazy at all times. Those planetary gears are designed to spin as little as possible, only in use really as you steer the car, and even then at a relatively low speed. Those are straight cut gears designed for strength, not noise, and my guess is the transfer case would quickly develop a very loud whine (like a car speeding in reverse).

Strength seems like it could be an issue. I'm not sure where you could mount a bracket under there. It would have to be pretty large, which means cost and weight. And it would need to be able to handle a significant amount of torque, assuming some hard launches are in order. I feel like welding directly on the gears, right in the center of the driveline, provides the most reliable strength.

And really, is there any more ease to this design? If you can remove a transfer case, you can take one apart and re-seal it. There would be welding involved either way. To me, $100-300 for a second transfer case isn't unreasonable, versus the potentially cheaper cost of bracket parts. And I don't see this bracket being much easier technically.

If we're talking design, I've been mulling over having a custom gear made to simply replace the planetary carrier. I'm thinking the existing carrier/planets/sun/ring might be able to be scanned or measured and used to CAD blueprint a solid replacement, retaining the inner input splines but with full 360 tooth mesh into both the ring and sun gears (instead of 3 small points of contact you get with the planets). Strenth and balance would be excellent, and installation would be as easy as taking the transfer case apart. Could be marketed to any e46xi or e53 owner, and maybe even some in that GM crowd. I don't really have the spare cash to make exploring this feasible, but I might as well put it out there to the crowd(fund)...
Manchicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #50
EvaJuli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 196
My Ride: E46 325XiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchicle View Post
If we're talking design, I've been mulling over having a custom gear made to simply replace the planetary carrier. I'm thinking the existing carrier/planets/sun/ring might be able to be scanned or measured and used to CAD blueprint a solid replacement, retaining the inner input splines but with full 360 tooth mesh into both the ring and sun gears (instead of 3 small points of contact you get with the planets). Strenth and balance would be excellent, and installation would be as easy as taking the transfer case apart. Could be marketed to any e46xi or e53 owner, and maybe even some in that GM crowd. I don't really have the spare cash to make exploring this feasible, but I might as well put it out there to the crowd(fund)...
I assume those gears arnt pressed in? Once inside the TC they can be lifted out and swapped?

If that's the case, why not just have a second set of welded gears to swap in/out of 1 transfer case.
EvaJuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #51
Manchicle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 121
My Ride: 330xi, 330i, 135i
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaJuli View Post
I assume those gears arnt pressed in? Once inside the TC they can be lifted out and swapped?

If that's the case, why not just have a second set of welded gears to swap in/out of 1 transfer case.
You could. The planetary carrier lifts right out once the case is open. And you could probably put down enough welds on the carrier itself to do the job without joining it to the ring like I did. Two things though. One, the only planetary carrier I've seen for sale on its own was the same price as a full transfer case. Also, its just easier to swap transfer cases than it is to deal with pulling it, splitting it, re-sealing it, and fluid changes every time.

But to each their own...

Last edited by Manchicle; 05-21-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Manchicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #52
EvaJuli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 196
My Ride: E46 325XiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchicle View Post
You could. The planetary carrier lifts right out once the case is open. And you could probably put down enough welds on the carrier itself to do the job without joining it to the ring like I did. Two things though. One, the only planetary carrier I've seen for sale on its own was the same price as a full transfer case. Also, its just easier to swap transfer cases than it is to deal with pulling it, splitting it, re-sealing it, and fluid changes every time.

But to each their own...

price wise, that's a good point- did not think of that.
I can go to the pick n pull today and come home with a TC for $75.
EvaJuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #53
Manchicle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 121
My Ride: 330xi, 330i, 135i
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaJuli View Post
price wise, that's a good point- did not think of that.
I can go to the pick n pull today and come home with a TC for $75.
Do it. Do your research first. There are different part numbers for pre- and post- LCI.
Manchicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:16 PM   #54
Benny Minn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 494
My Ride: 2004 325xiT 5-speed
This intrigues me. Though, with just a thicker rear sway bar, I've been able to get the rear to kick out just like with my old RWD E34. The main reason I would want to switch to RWD is to get the tighter steering ratio rather than the extra sensation of being pushed.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Benny Minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:36 AM   #55
tks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Online
Posts: 1,335
My Ride: slower than yours
can you do something similar but remove the rear. i want my bmw to be front wheel drive.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #56
Marco335
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 103
i'd be careful talking so openly about your fwd desire around here lol pretty sure the thought of front wheel drive bmws is some sort of blasphemy


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Marco335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #57
Manchicle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 121
My Ride: 330xi, 330i, 135i
Transmission: 6MT
I was gonna say, it was only a matter of time haha

From a purely mechanical standpoint, yes, it should work just fine. I'd have some concerns about the strength of the front driveshaft and diff, but the car should drive fine in fwd, at least under low loads.

Why you would want to do this is beyond me, and this is coming from someone who just justified a rwd conversion. The main benefits of fwd are related to the company's ability to design the car in a different way from the ground up. Smaller/lighter/cheaper/simpler drivetrains, larger cabins because everything is forward of the firewall, short axles means better mpgs, etc. You would get none of that by converting an e46, save for a slight fuel mileage bump. But you would lose so much more...
Manchicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #58
Benny Minn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 494
My Ride: 2004 325xiT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco335 View Post
i'd be careful talking so openly about your fwd desire around here lol pretty sure the thought of front wheel drive bmws is some sort of blasphemy


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
So blasphemous that when BMW made a FWD car, they had to re-brand it as a MINI Cooper.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Benny Minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #59
Manchicle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 121
My Ride: 330xi, 330i, 135i
Transmission: 6MT
Looks like I'll be parting out a 2004 330xi soon, which means I'll have another transfer case to play with. Any chance someone would want one made for them?
Manchicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #60
EvaJuli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 196
My Ride: E46 325XiT
PM Sent!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchicle View Post
Looks like I'll be parting out a 2004 330xi soon, which means I'll have another transfer case to play with. Any chance someone would want one made for them?
EvaJuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.