Shimmy shimmy shake - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
padbuck

My Ride: 2005 330xiE
Shimmy shimmy shake

I have a 2005 330xi just replaced the front axels. That went very well. That got rid of a lot of noises the front end was making (since the CV joints were shot). Now I got other issues and I am not sure what the fix is. I hear noise when I turn the car that almost sounds like a creaking noise. Not sure if that is control arm bushing or not. I get a real shake when I initially apply the brake, but once the brakes are fully applied the shake goes away. Thinking that may be mean I just need to replace the front brakes. I also get a very slight shimmy around 60 MPH it goes away once I get above 65 or so. First thought is to replace the bushings on both control arms and redo the front brakes (new disks and pads). Car is approaching 90k miles. Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
padbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
danix

Shake could be wheels out of balance, out of round. Easy fix is to try another set of wheels or rotate wheels front to rear. It sounds like rotors though, if it's a slight shake when lightly applied.
Creaking could be control arms or suspension.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:42 PM   #3
padbuck

So I tried the easy thing rotated the wheels that did quite a bit of good no more shimmy at 60 MPH. The shaking with the breaks is also diminished but it is still there. Now I hear a squealing coming from the pads I see a brake job in the near future. I did check the control arms while I had the wheels off. No wear on the ball joints everything is solid. Tried shaking the hub, and tried a pry bar against the joints no give. So I am at a loss on the grinding noise could it be in the steering mechanism or one of the rod ends? Any guesses are welcome.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 09:41 PM   #4
padbuck

Ok did all the stuff I couldn’t do first all 4 wheels spun balanced, chassis aligned. Still has the shake and tick. Order front brake kit from oembimmerparts.com, spent 1.5 hours replacing everything and boom no more shimmy when applying the brakes and the ticking is gone. New rotors and pads did the trick. Thanks for all the comments. Drive on.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:28 PM   #5
Bmsluite

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by padbuck View Post
Ok did all the stuff I couldn’t do first all 4 wheels spun balanced, chassis aligned. Still has the shake and tick. Order front brake kit from oembimmerparts.com, spent 1.5 hours replacing everything and boom no more shimmy when applying the brakes and the ticking is gone. New rotors and pads did the trick. Thanks for all the comments. Drive on.

Make sure you bed those new brakes or your shimmy will come back in short order....

Sent from my VS988 using E46Fanatics mobile app
Bmsluite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
77'911

Just went through this with our 330xi. Just for some back round, the car already had:
1) pads, rotors, hoses, caliper bushings, fluid flush all round
2) motor mounts
3) new michelin's
Had to replace the lower control arms, upper ball joints, and bushings which finally got rid of the shimmy. That was the same shimmy we had on our car. The aftermarket front suspension components the previous owner had put on didn't last or stand up. I should note, they did not press the bushings into the proper offset, but the ball joints had loads of play after 10k. You might try using some M1 syn ATF in your p/s system. It really worked on ours.
77'911 is offline   Reply With Quote