FCPEuro, I'm sad. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements > Ask a Site Sponsor

Ask a Site Sponsor
Ask a site sponsor a question, request pricing on products or suggest a group buy!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2016, 07:41 AM   #1
venerated

My Ride: F22 M235i
FCPEuro, I'm sad.

I've tried to let this go, but I can't.

FCPEuro, I am obviously a subscriber of your email list and I have spent around $600 on your website, which I know isn't a ton, but I've still put money in your pockets.

You know how I got that money to spend on your website? via my profession, which is a front-end developer/graphic designer.
In this email I got the other day, I saw something that upset me:

I tweeted to your twitter account:
@vnrtd Oct 11
@FCPEuro Not cool that you guys are asking people to design shirts for you for free. http://www.nospec.com

Which I got a reply for (thank you for not ignoring me)-
@FCPEuro Oct 11
@vnrtd We completely understand, we would of course agree and properly compensate for any winnerís design that we chose to produce.

And most likely the person who runs the Twitter and the person who posts on here is not the same person, but you guys have completely missed my point.

Spec work is any kind of creative work, either partial or completed, submitted by designers to prospective clients before designers secure both their work and equitable fees.

I know graphic design can be fun and people who do it for a hobby like to enter these types of contest, I've even done it myself in my younger years, but you are missing the point of spec work. You are asking people to do something for free without any promise of compensation. I'm glad that you plan to compensate the person who 'wins' but this is exactly what spec work is and spec work is cancer to the design industry.

I don't care if people wanna make you free t-shirt designs, but the problem with these types of contest is that they completely devalue design work and designers in general.

So please, next time you have a contest, I'd really appreciate if you could base it around something else instead of people doing design work. Make it about our cars or something like that, which still gets people jazzed and lets people who don't have design abilities to enter the contests as well.

I hope I don't sound bitchy here because I'm still a fan and I'll continue to order from your company, but if I can bring a new perspective for you to consider, that's all I'd like to do.

Thank you everyone at FCP Euro for your dedication, hard work, and great customer service!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

2003 325xi Sedan Jet Black/Natural Brown Leather
1989 325i Vert Bronzitbeige Metallic/Natural
2014 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Black
venerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
FCPEuro
Sponsor

My Ride: E92 LCI M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by venerated View Post
And most likely the person who runs the Twitter and the person who posts on here is not the same person, but you guys have completely missed my point.
Hi, this is Alex, ironically I actually am the one that responded. I really appreciate the feedback, honestly. And thank you for your continued support of FCP Euro.

I want to make sure I'm on the same page because I think there's still some misunderstanding. Would you be able to email me at my personal email [email protected] so we can discuss further.

As a former designer myself I'd certainly like to talk about this one more. I really look forward to hearing from you. - Alex

FCPEuro is offline   Reply With Quote