M3forum.net hard down? - Page 29 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2020, 02:26 PM   #561
dutchhome

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Yes, time has a way of changing things, but why not worry about that when needed? There are several examples earlier in this thread explaining why being beholden to advertisers makes it difficult to host honest dialog about some of their products.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #562
Obioban

My Ride: 05 M3, 01 M5, M3iT
Send a message via AIM to Obioban
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
Yes, all costs are covered now from what I've read, but what if something happens and that goes away and you are left with nothing to support the site and a sudden $300-500 monthly hosting fee? I would hate to see the "new site" succumb to the same fate as M3F because of something like this. Not saying it will happen and certainly hope that it doesn't, but nothing in life is guaranteed and there is nothing wrong with running a site like a business as it can be done in a way that is not for profit.
Same fate is impossible because multiple people have the backup.

Until/if there’s a need for sponsors, we’re far better off without them— and I see no reason to think we’ll need any for a long, LONG time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Obioban is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:21 PM   #563
delvin

My Ride: '03 M3
M3forum.net hard down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchhome View Post
I would be happy to hear an alternate theory. I never said that advertisers was required but only that if that was the reason there is only one logical conclusion.

Sponsors could offer discounts to forum members and contracts can stipulate that they won’t be able to suppress negative reviews for a start. Loads of other “theories” as well if one spends more than 2 seconds thinking about it.

No need to assume he’s doing any shenanigans especially since he has provided plenty to the old forum.

Last edited by delvin; 03-25-2020 at 04:22 PM.
delvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:43 PM   #564
170bpm

My Ride: 04 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
How do people feel about M3F.net as a URL?

$250 to buy it, but it would certainly be easy to type...
Much better, willing to donate again as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
170bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:55 PM   #565
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 170bpm View Post
Quote:
How do people feel about M3F.net as a URL?

$250 to buy it, but it would certainly be easy to type...
Much better, willing to donate again as well.
So just to nip this in the bud, m3f.net isn't happening. We were mistaken about the price, and they actually want $5k... which we don't have and probably can't raise through donations alone (and that'd only pay for a year).

Have a couple other ideas

TerraPhantm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #566
170bpm

My Ride: 04 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
So just to nip this in the bud, m3f.net isn't happening. We were mistaken about the price, and they actually want $5k... which we don't have and probably can't raise through donations alone (and that'd only pay for a year).

Have a couple other ideas
Ahhh welp, all good. What other ideas do you got for the site?

170bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:10 PM   #567
r4dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvin View Post
Sponsors could offer discounts to forum members and contracts can stipulate that they won’t be able to suppress negative reviews for a start.
To play Devil's advocate, companies could easily do that without a sponsorship program. That's basically a group buy from the source. In fact, that would probably be preferred by companies since they wouldn't have to pay a fee to sell their product at a discount.
r4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:37 AM   #568
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 02 M3, 01 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I think he doesn't like that we're not having any sponsors at all.
Um, WHAT?

Last edited by braymond141; 03-26-2020 at 01:37 AM.
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:42 AM   #569
braymond141

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchhome View Post
If it is true that he wants to hold out for advertisers then it means he is looking to profit from a community that he didn't nurture. That is reason enough to avoid his site.

What the heck. Where and why are you guys coming up with this stuff? My site has absolutely nothing to do with paid sponsorship.

If ANY forum gets big enough, the fees for forum software start to climb rapidly. I have no intention of running a for profit website and and I have no intention of seeking paid sponsors until user traffic deems it necessary and ONLY to cover those fees. Those fees can also be paid by members. Ian will face the same issue if/when the time comes. Neither of us need to worry about that for a long time.

I have vendors that I have added to my site for FREE because I like them and want to support them. I also want them to want to support the users with whatever they may be willing to offer them.

Ask questions, I'll answer. Please stop assuming the worst. I had 30k posts on M3Forum, Dutch.

Last edited by braymond141; 03-26-2020 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:53 AM   #570
braymond141

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFWD View Post
If you were willing to delete your forum when M3Forum comes back, why not just join the cause that has the most momentum now, instead if dividing the community?

NAM3Forum.com: 90 topics, 711 posts
MForum.net: 8 topics, 18 posts
Topics: 61 Posts: 286

Your data is not accurate, even at the time you posted it. (edit, looks like both site stats were old data the time you posted it. The spread is still the same so it is what it is)

I'm not trying to divide the community. mforum is a better name that welcomes all generations as did M3Forum. I don't think Naturally Aspirated or North America Forum represents what we had very well. I also already offered mforum to the cause before nam3forum was made. Sorry.

Last edited by braymond141; 03-26-2020 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:22 AM   #571
delvin

My Ride: '03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4dr View Post
To play Devil's advocate, companies could easily do that without a sponsorship program. That's basically a group buy from the source. In fact, that would probably be preferred by companies since they wouldn't have to pay a fee to sell their product at a discount.

Okay...
delvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:27 AM   #572
braymond141

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvin View Post
No need to assume he's doing any shenanigans especially since he has provided plenty to the old forum.
Thank you! (no h0mo)

Last edited by braymond141; 03-26-2020 at 02:28 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:40 AM   #573
LTBU

My Ride: 2002 M3; Needs Boost
im just gonna hang around and post GIFs in this thread until yall figure it out
LTBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:00 AM   #574
dutchhome

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond141 View Post
What the heck. Where and why are you guys coming up with this stuff? My site has absolutely nothing to do with paid sponsorship.
And that is exactly why my messages were hypothetical. I'm happy to see this isn't the reason. Now that's cleared up, will you answer the question that started all of this? Rather than maintaining a separate site and splitting the community, will you close down yours and transfer the domain name? If not, will you explain why? Hopefully you can see that having two competing replacement sites is bad for the community.

Edit: Wait a minute.. You ARE the sponsor. You literally sell to the community. You even have a plug to your business in your admin sig. I don't suppose you see a conflict of interest there?

Last edited by dutchhome; 03-26-2020 at 09:51 AM.
dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:16 AM   #575
LTBU

Old 03-26-2020, 07:32 AM   #576
LTBU

I wont be NA next year so im starting my own site, boostedm3forum.net. This way we have at least 4 options
Old 03-26-2020, 07:39 AM   #577
Obioban

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTBU View Post
I wont be NA next year so im starting my own site, boostedm3forum.net. This way we have at least 4 options
https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...rced-induction

Quote:
If ANY forum gets big enough, the fees for forum software start to climb rapidly. I have no intention of running a for profit website and and I have no intention of seeking paid sponsors until user traffic deems it necessary and ONLY to cover those fees. Those fees can also be paid by members. Ian will face the same issue if/when the time comes. Neither of us need to worry about that for a long time.
We bought the software and own the server, so no increase in running cost for more members to worry about.

Quote:
I also already offered mforum to the cause before nam3forum was made. Sorry.
What?

Last edited by Obioban; 03-26-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #578
Obioban

Two bits of news:

1) We've been changing lots of things behind the scenes on NAM3F. If you're having issues, or just haven't done it for a while, hold shift and refresh the site.

2) Liam's spider program should be done soon. We downloaded the entire google cache that remained of M3F. With the program we should be able to recreate threads that remained in a couple clicks, in a fairly legible way (reasonably similar to how they were originally posted).

Old 03-26-2020, 08:57 AM   #579
MusclesGlasses

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2001
Model: M3
Transmission: Manučl
Quote:
Two bits of news:

1) We've been changing lots of things behind the scenes on NAM3F. If you're having issues, or just haven't done it for a while, hold shift and refresh the site.

2) Liam's spider program should be done soon. We downloaded the entire google cache that remained of M3F. With the program we should be able to recreate threads that remained in a couple clicks, in a fairly legible way (reasonably similar to how they were originally posted).
Still not working for me, tried the refresh and still coming up blocked and category: none. Tried a different browser in case the refresh wasn't working and same thing.

MusclesGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #580
Obioban

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclesGlasses View Post
Still not working for me, tried the refresh and still coming up blocked and category: none. Tried a different browser in case the refresh wasn't working and same thing.
Let me check in with Liam on that-- that's not in an area I can control.