621372 miles (999999KM) on 2000 323ci cluster mileage maxed out now what? - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #61
kburger

My Ride: 323ci coupe 2000 bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatichuman View Post
Thanks! But why would Rotella T 6 expose oil leaks more than other oils?
Cheers

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
because its synthetic diesel engine oil that has cleaning detergent in it. it cleans your engine if you got sludge that will slow down the oil leaks once its clean gaskets wont be coated inside with gunk and will leak more oil.
kburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #62
MJC12

My Ride: 2001 330i
Transmission: 5 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by kburger View Post
because its synthetic diesel engine oil that has cleaning detergent in it. it cleans your engine if you got sludge that will slow down the oil leaks once its clean gaskets wont be coated inside with gunk and will leak more oil.
Coincidentally Project Farm on Youtube just did a video specifically regarding T6 and engine oil leaks... (he uses it in a 40 year old tractor which has always run on dino and it did not produce any new leaks).

I switched to it 30k ago and have not had any issues.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #63
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
Quote:
a short reply for you folks that want the story in this car. There's way too many stories. pretty much nothin i havent fixed. some interesting points. engine is original. cylinder head has never been removed. oil was mobil 1 5/30 synthetic for first 500,000 miles. then had to do hydraulic lifters. toughest mechanic job i ever did. you dont need to remove head for that btw. oil additives will buy you a couple hundred K miles but in the end you gotta replace lifters. use umm, forget the company. dont need OEM lifters thats a HUGE ripoff. you listen to the engine without background noise from the driver seat with door all the way open hood up and down. Buy better than OEM quality parts where appropriate. an OEM IHKA module at 500 bucks is NOT appropriate for OEM. that cost me 50 bucks. you use OEM where you need to. you fix stuff when it breaks or is going bad. stock a few basic items like fuel pump, water pump. highly recommend MP stewart water pump very nice. you install stuff that lasts. oil after 500K is shell rotella t6 synthetic diesel oil. warn ya it will expose your oil leaks and force you to fix them. best oi there is for these cars. wont rebuild engine till i gotta. never did that before should be interesting. LOTTA rust on the car. proper application of POR 15 following the instructions to the letter nothing better out there. I could talk for weeks about the car. M56 valve cover highly recommend. stock CCV way overengineered, expensive, and difficult to change, time consuming. not knocking bmw engineering you just gotta know where to "cut back" a little on the overengineering. thanks fanatics you are the best!
Thanks for sharing your valuable E46 insights and tips. It sounds like you have enough experiences to write a book about them
Old 10-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #64
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3
Quote:
am I the first one to max out the mileage on the cluster? The dealer has told me they need to replace my cluster with a new one and program to zero. That should include syncing the LCM to avoid the tamper dot. I talked to BMWNA on the phone they were very nice. They created a case for me and are going to find out if they can help me or not. I'm trying to get BMW to pay for it
You're probably the first to hit it naturally. There have been a few sporadic cases over the years where an electrical glitch caused it to max out.

If they replace the cluster, the cluster will pull its mileage from the LCM, that's by design. Replacing both the cluster and LCM at the same time might set it to 0, or it might pull the mileage from elsewhere (EWS module maybe)

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 10-09-2019 at 12:46 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #65
BullCityBimmer

My Ride: 1998 323i
Quote:
Hey fanatics kburger here. decided to start a new thread. instrument cluster maxes out at 999,999 KM or 621372 miles. Now the mileage wont increment. Any suggestions? i was going for a million miles on the car now looks like thats not possible.

Just sent an email to the CCA Tarheel chapter in NC in hopes of giving this story some publicity. Lets hope it finds its way in the next Roundel

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
BullCityBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #66
Obioban

My Ride: 05 M3, 01 M5, M3iT
Send a message via AIM to Obioban
Don't accept a tamper dot!

I'm interested to see how this unfolds.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 2017 i3 baby mess absorber, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, e91 rwd 6mt, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car, 03 530i 5mt
Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #67
Alex323Ci
OE ///MEMBER PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
I'm going to write back to bmwna try to get a new cluster coded free. How do i contact bmwcca and anyone else who wants the story? thanks
Satch Carlson is the chief editor of Roundel. email him at: [email protected]

Mike Miller is the tech editor: [email protected]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCityBimmer View Post
Just sent an email to the CCA Tarheel chapter in NC in hopes of giving this story some publicity. Let's hope it finds its way in the next Roundel
local chapters have a small local newsletter. but i would go to Roundel magazine for the biggest bang. Roundel is BMWCCA's national publication and not just the small newsletter and local chapter. *although the local chapter could forward and pursue this on your behalf.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 10-10-2019 at 01:32 AM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #68
tock172

My Ride: '12 135i Dinan S2
Well, this has certainly piqued my interest.

Past: 1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Present: 2012 135i DCT Dinan S2
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:43 PM   #69
BullCityBimmer

My Ride: 1998 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post

local chapters have a small local newsletter. but i would go to Roundel magazine for the biggest bang. Roundel is BMWCCAs national publication and not just the small newsletter and local chapter.

Haha just goes to show how involved I am with all that xD

Quote:
dealer called me back. Said they would need to replace my cluster with a new one and set to 0. Then they will note the title that its a rollover. And I gotta pay for it.

Im not sure about this, just sounds like theyre trying to sell you a gauge cluster you dont need. Technically there is nothing wrong with it so I cant imagine the law REQUIRES you to replace it under these circumstances. Id call the local sheriff/DMV and get their input too

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
BullCityBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:36 PM   #70
cyrow

My Ride: 325i - 2004
Any new updates? this is a thread that i dont want to miss how it ends
cyrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #71
kburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrow View Post
Any new updates? this is a thread that i dont want to miss how it ends
no new updates. But i will pursue this till the end. Thanks everyone great input from all. I will talk to DMV. If you search kburger you will see the history and all my threads and posts. you will see my goal has always been to get to a million miles. ummm, LEGALLY!! i never knew something like this might not make that possible. I dont wanna make this a lawyer issue i may have to. If you think about how many e46's are on the road others will undoubtedly max out like i have. So BMW needs to address this. I think its been complicated by the tamper dot and the redundant storage of mileage by LCM for sure and maybe EWS modules? I will be using the contacts you folks have provided to get more attention to this. Oh, btw i have been tracking mileage with ultraguage since the cluster broke i have 58K more miles so thats what, 678,000 miles
Old 10-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #72
Obioban

My Ride: 05 M3, 01 M5, M3iT
Send a message via AIM to Obioban
I bet FCP hates you

After pondering this, it seems like what BMW should really do is issue a firmware update for the cluster, installed upon demand as people need it, that lets the mileage go to 1,000,000 and then roll over.

... or at least just roll over, even if it means happening at 621,XXX miles (which is worse).

I'm having trouble imagining you not having a tamper dot, with the LCM and cluster thinking you have different amounts of miles on the car.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 2017 i3 baby mess absorber, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, e91 rwd 6mt, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car, 03 530i 5mt

Last edited by Obioban; 10-10-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #73
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I bet FCP hates you

After pondering this, it seems like what BMW should really do is issue a firmware update for the cluster, installed upon demand as people need it, that lets the mileage go to 1,000,000 and then roll over.

... or at least just roll over, even if it means happening at 621,XXX miles (which is worse).

I'm having trouble imagining you not having a tamper dot, with the LCM and cluster thinking you have different amounts of miles on the car.
Not feasible. Cluster doesn't have updateable software (officially or unofficially). They'd have to design a new cluster with different software and probably a different eeprom. This is also far from unique to BMW - pretty much everything out there maxes out at either 500k or 1M KMs since the switchover to digital. In theory the internal counter can go to 1048560, but the car stops incrementing at 1M.

Mileage never triggers the tamper dot. Only a VIN mismatch between the instrument and cluster does. LCM itself stops incrementing at 300k KMs anyway. And the eeprom that holds the mileage can't rollover - it's deliberately designed that way to make it more difficult to roll back the odometer (obviously there are ways around that, but nothing that a dealer can do).

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 10-10-2019 at 04:02 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #74
kburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Not feasible. Cluster doesn't have updateable software (officially or unofficially). They'd have to design a new cluster with different software and probably a different eeprom. This is also far from unique to BMW - pretty much everything out there maxes out at either 500k or 1M KMs since the switchover to digital. In theory the internal counter can go to 1048560, but the car stops incrementing at 1M.

Mileage never triggers the tamper dot. Only a VIN mismatch between the land cluster does. LCM itself stops incrementing at 300k KMs anyway. And the eeprom that holds the mileage can't rollover - it's deliberately designed that way to make it more difficult to roll back the odometer (obviously there are ways around that, but nothing that a dealer can do).
fascinating, excellent info terra you know your clusters. BMWNA rep called me back she left voice mail. I will call her monday will update everyone thanks so much knowledge around here still.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #75
kburger

Ok the rep at bmwna is out the rest of this week travelling for work. she left me vm. so friday or monday i'll talk to her hopefully. and mike miller from car club scranton pa has been writing me he may do a story he needs some kind of permission i havent quite figured out something to do with where i live. i'll keep updating here when i get info. i may just do nothing with the cluster i track miles with ultraguage. but that kinda sucks cuz its not official. or is it? does ultraguage track by my vin? anyway to prove the miles on ultraguage are mine? and whose to say when i started using ultraguage and when my cluster quit? i just wanna get to a million miles legit. never thought it would be this hard. hard enough keepin the car goin. always a laundry list of stuff to fix. just gotta keep it safe and legal thats challenging enough. rust is real bad. POR-15 is the best treatment by far but it must be applied strictly according to the instructions.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #76
Alex323Ci
OE ///MEMBER PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Quote:
Ok the rep at bmwna is out the rest of this week travelling for work. she left me vm. so friday or monday i'll talk to her hopefully. and mike miller from car club scranton pa has been writing me he may do a story he needs some kind of permission i havent quite figured out something to do with where i live. i'll keep updating here when i get info.
Mike Miller is the man! glad things are happening for you.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #77
wfx32

My Ride: AWD
Model: 330XI 08/2004
Transmission: auto
Quote:
if there's no software fix from BMW because of the tamper proof design, maybe there is a workaround with help from some of the sharper fanatics here..

how about if BMW resets the system odometer to 0 miles as the dealer proposed, then we do a hardware fix "downstream" to make the odometer display start counting again from 621372?

in other words, a reverse-tamper with the odometer so the display is always adding 621372 (or any fixed offset) to the current mileage?
wfx32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #78
kburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfx32 View Post
if there's no software fix from BMW because of the tamper proof design, maybe there is a workaround with help from some of the sharper fanatics here..

how about if BMW resets the system odometer to 0 miles as the dealer proposed, then we do a hardware fix "downstream" to make the odometer display start counting again from 621372?

in other words, a reverse-tamper with the odometer so the display is always adding 621372 (or any fixed offset) to the current mileage?

There has got to be a way. But i really want to keep the original cluster with all its coding intact that my proof of my mileage. I just dont trust that my proof of reaching that mileage will be lost somehow.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #79
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:

Mileage never triggers the tamper dot. Only a VIN mismatch between the instrument and cluster does. LCM itself stops incrementing at 300k KMs anyway. And the eeprom that holds the mileage can't rollover - it's deliberately designed that way to make it more difficult to roll back the odometer (obviously there are ways around that, but nothing that a dealer can do).
So if the "mileage data field" (or whatever its called) in the instrument cluster or eeprom had one more bit (21 bits instead of just 20) with which to store the value, then would it be able to keep counting up to 2,097,120 kms or about 2 million kms?

Last edited by LeverThis; 10-16-2019 at 04:54 PM.
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #80
kburger

BMWNA denied my request for help with this. Typical. So i guess i'll just use ultraguage to keep track of mileage. This is a defect in the cluster bmw should fix it free.