Gaskets / Oil Leaks - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2019, 07:15 AM   #1
khushildep

Gaskets / Oil Leaks

Hey All

I've just got a 2004 e46 and I've been told I should get gaskets replaced to stop oil leaks. I know about the rocker cover gaskets - is there a thread or a list of things I should definitely get replaced please?
khushildep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
If your valve cover gasket is leaking, you should replace it.

Find any leaks you have and go from there...we have many sites that might leak oil. After valve cover, probably the oil filter housing cover...but you can wait until you have leaks...and even then they're usually not so bad that you can't just top off the oil level and be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #3

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by khushildep View Post
Hey All

I've just got a 2004 e46 and I've been told I should get gaskets replaced to stop oil leaks. I know about the rocker cover gaskets - is there a thread or a list of things I should definitely get replaced please?
Do you actually have any oil leaks or are you looking to prevent them before they happen? Just wondering.

There are four main sources of oil leaks that are considered to be commonplace.

Valve Cover Gasket (VCG)
Oil Filter Housing Gasket (OFHG)
CCV Oil Drain Tube.
Oil Pan Gasket

If you just Google any of these terms followed by .... Replacement DIY you will find plenty of videos online. There is a guy goes by the monika The 50sKid who has some excellent DIY videos on his YouTube channel. He has covered all of these. You should ckeck him out.
74123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 07:36 AM   #4
khushildep

Thanks guys. I was just trying to be proactive.

Every now and then when I start her - the oil light comes on - a minute of driving will turn the light off. Is that a worry or just age?
khushildep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:43 AM   #5
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
Quote:

Every now and then when I start her - the oil light comes on - a minute of driving will turn the light off. Is that a worry or just age?
Is the light yellow and is the oil level fine according to the dip stick? If so - the oil level sending unit is going bad. Mine has been going bad for the entire time I have owned my 330i and have not bothered to replace it.
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #6

Quote:

Faulty oil level sensor. 50sKid has a DIY vid for that too. But you shouldn't really rely on it though to be fair. Just get into the habit of checking your oil with your dipstick regularly.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
DBecker

My Ride: e30,e34,z3,e39
Oil level sensors are trivially changed (three 10mm head nuts, snug to 10 Nm 7.5 ftlbs) if you change your own oil. The ones from FleaBay are a little over $10. They are a bit of a dice roll, but so are the expensive OE sensors.
DBecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBecker View Post
Oil level sensors are trivially changed (three 10mm head nuts, snug to 10 Nm 7.5 ftlbs) if you change your own oil. The ones from FleaBay are a little over $10. They are a bit of a dice roll, but so are the expensive OE sensors.
You don't have a reinforcement plate then? You have to pull that to get at the oil level sensor.

Tags
gaskets, oil, service engine